Need hifi/TV placement advice.

Firstly, not sure which section this is best placed, so apologies in advance.

Problem: My TV is finally croaking and it's an old 28" CRT I'm seriously thinking about a 32" HD jobbie, rather than trying to repair the old one.

Now this is where it starts to get a little tricky: If I was to place a 32" where my current CRT is... just left of the hi-fi rack, close enough so interconnects will reach the Leema. However this means that the hi-fi rack will have to be pushed further to the right (closer to the right hand speaker) to accommodate a 32 incher. Mrs. P came up with a great idea. Move the turntable and place the TV on the hi-fi rack. So a couple of questions:

1) Would placing a TV just above my amp, tuner, CDP be detrimental to picture/sound quality of both hi-fi and TV?

2) A turntable needs a secure surface and I was thinking of a hefty shelf next to the hi-fi rack. What type of wood/brackets etc would be best?

Of course I could plump for a 26" TV but they are around the same price as a 32". There's no way I want to compromise the hi-fi, so any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks, pp.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Don't know the answer 2 but the answer to 1 is that it should not be detrimental. Before that, tho, have you checked measurements on potential new TVs? Current models have such slim bezels that you may find the overall size is very similar despite the extra 4" screen size.

BenLaw said:
Don't know the answer 2 but the answer to 1 is that it should not be detrimental. Before that, tho, have you checked measurements on potential new TVs? Current models have such slim bezels that you may find the overall size is very similar despite the extra 4" screen size.

Cheers Ben, no haven't dug that deep yet. I'll whip out the tape measure in the morning.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
As Ben said, unless the CRT is a thin bezel design like Toshiba's picture frame, I'd expect a 32" LCD to comfortably fit in the same space. I'd have thought that sitting the TV on top of the HiFi rack would make it too high? You could also look at wall mounting the TV.

Also, RCA outputs on TVs seem to be dying out so make sure that you check for their presence on a replacment. Or that it at least has a scart that outputs audio so you can use a scart-phono adapter.

John Duncan said:
Can you take a picture? Is your TV on its own stand or is it on something else like a cupboard or shelf?

Have a picture but can't download due to the loss of the cable (sold my Canon a few months ago due to lack of use). And yes the TV has its own dedicated stand which, also, houses the DVD player and VCR.

BTW, thanks for the measurements. I'll certainly get round to a measure up once little'un gets bored with the garden and park.

John Duncan

As in this one, or a separate one?

31XCHQJJKGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
PP

As has been suggested a picture will help. As for interference, all modern devices are CE marked that includes stuff like the LDV (Low Voltage Directive - like not being able to insert fingers through grills etc) & EMC regulations that cover a two pronged approach of equipent not radiating nor being susceptible to either cable or air-bourne interference.

I would go the wall mounted bracket route if possible for the TV. As for TT mounting:

http://www.hifiracks.co.uk/hifi-racks/7/podium-platform

is one example. I still have an old steel framed Target wall shelf that my CDP sits on above my equally old Target rack.

Regards

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts