Need help with QED Revelation speaker cable (pictures included)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys!

I just purchased some unterminated QED Revelation speaker cable for my system which comprises of the following:

Sony hi-fi amp (can't remember model but its a budget one)

Monitor Audio BX-2s

I'm having a real tough time trying to get these speaker cables even producing sound. I trimmed the outer plastic casing with a stanley knife but upon connecting them up to my system no sound is present. I went back to my standard copper Cambridge Audio speaker cables and the setup works fine??

I'm a bit confused by the cable itself. Here are some pictures as its hard to explain as I am failrly ignorant :(

IMG_0136.jpg

Now for my other Cambridge Audio copper speaker cables plugged in to the system:

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Any help in this matter would be GREATLY appreciated as I just spent a fortune on these QED cables and currently they are useless haha!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Tom

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Cables are very hard to see - completely out of focus

Looks like the central part (probably for bass) is encased within another sheeth? if so that obviously needs cutting back.

What about the smaller strands? Do they have individual sheeths?

John Duncan

The central part is just plastic, but you should trim it back so you just have the individual strands. originally I didn't think the little strands had sheaths (ew) when I took the ends of mine, but somebody told me afterwards that they do, and that you should strip them back. try that and let us know...

A

Anonymous

Ah ha I had wondered whether or not each individual strand was encased as it looks very plasticy and I couldn't see how on earth the cable was actually carrying signal.

I'll give it a go when I get back from work - wish me luck!

Tom

A

Anonymous

I can't hack this - I'm simply cutting through all of the different strands trying to strip each one - should I send it back to where I got it from and pay them to terminate it for me?

What kind of connectors would I need on each end? Are banana plugs ok?

Thanks guys!

Tom

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Not sure it's a good idea, or whether it will work without having a closer look at the cable, but how about 'melting' the plastic casings from each strand with a soldering iron?

As I say, just a thought that may speed up the process, assuming you have a soldering iron.......

This is why I didn't buy this cable, but bought some second hand Chord Odyssey 2 instead.......

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I have owned this cable, which was simply a nightmare to strip back. Once you have done it though, you will be rewarded with a thin and weedy sound.

This cable is dreadful imo, unless you have a problem with too much bass, avoid like the plague.

Esoteric nonsense, cheap copper cable is much better.

I'm sorry to learn you've experienced difficulty stripping your QED Revelation speaker cable. The positive and negative cores each have 190 'five nines' (99.999%) silver plated oxygen free copper strands. These are engineered into 10 bunches, each of 19 strands. So when you prepare the cable, you need to cut off the outer cover, then strip each of the 10 bunches. This sounds like a bit of work, but is a complete doddle if you have the appropriate tool, a wire stripper. I confess, I wouldn't want to do it with just a sharp knife. Any dealer should be happy to undertake this task for you.

Is it worth the effort? Of course it is! QED Revelation is a wonderfully neutral and revealing cable, which is why it has received such universal acclaim from reviewers.

Very best regards,

Steve Reichert - PR Manager, Armour Home (QED)

bcostacurta

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

a stripper tool will certainly help.

Which stripper tool requirements (eg. minimal section) are needed to strip the internals cables of the QED Signature Revelation ?

Thanks.

Bruno

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I sorted mine easy enough...

got the outer sheath off and then used the gas hob to melt the plastic around the other wiring but didn't burn it. The heat at the end of the blue flame (about 2-3cm is enough to melt it all without any damage)

done nee and dusted in about 10mins and it's superb cable; plenty of bass weight and removed the brightness that the Silver Anniversary cable can open up sometimes...

it's a good cable to bear with it :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts