Need help with my Technics SL-D30 Turntable

jjrj1203

Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
I'll start by saying that I'm pretty ignorant in regards to sound systems and how they work, so please be patient with me. I have an old Technics SL-D30 record player that has been sitting dormant for a few years. I used to have it hooked up to some speakers through a receiver and it worked great. I found the record player in the garage and want to set it up again, but I no longer have the speakers and receiver. I have a Yamaha Yas-109 soundbar hooked up to my TV and thought I could maybe get it to play through there, but it isn't working and I can't figure out why.

The set up I have tried so far is to have the record player go through a pre-amp (Model TC-400) and have that hooked up to the soundbar via an RCA to HDMI converter. No luck with that set up, so I tried to cut out the pre-amp and hook up the record player directly to the soundbar through the RCA to HDMI converter. Still no luck.

I can hear the record playing softly if I get close to the turntable, so I know it is at least working there. I just can't figure out how to get it to play through my soundbar. Is what I am trying to do even possible, or am I just doing something wrong?

jjrj1203

Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
Presumably a TC-400 is a phono preamp, is it?
If so, then the output of that needs to go into an analogue line input on the soundbar (if it's got one).

Yeah it's a stereo phono pre-amp. Sorry for the ignorance here, but can you help explain what an analogue line is? If that's just the basic RCA cable, then there isn't a plugin for that on the soundbar. It just has HDMI, which is why I thought I could get a converter and get it to work that way.

This is the exact converter I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779SZFFR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Gray

Yeah it's a stereo phono pre-amp. Sorry for the ignorance here, but can you help explain what an analogue line is? If that's just the basic RCA cable, then there isn't a plugin for that on the soundbar. It just has HDMI, which is why I thought I could get a converter and get it to work that way.

This is the exact converter I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779SZFFR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Don't be sorry for anything 👍
The spec for the soundbar says it has an analogue input.
I've never owned a soundbar, but I think, more often than not on those things, it will be a 3.5mm jack socket labelled as 'Aux'.

jjrj1203

Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
The plug in options I have are in the image below. I have the TV plugin attached to the TV and it works fine. I was trying to connect the record player to the HDMI IN part. Not sure where else to plug it in to.

Yamaha.jpg

Gray

The plug in options I have are in the image below. I have the TV plugin attached to the TV and it works fine. I was trying to connect the record player to the HDMI IN part. Not sure where else to plug it in to.

View attachment 4293
Yes I saw those options.
I will download the user guide to see what (if anything) it says about the 'analogue audio' that Yamaha's own website says it has.

jjrj1203

Jan 21, 2023
Visit site
Yes I saw those options.
I will download the user guide to see what (if anything) it says about the 'analogue audio' that Yamaha's own website says it has.

The only analogue reference I see in the guide is in regards to the subwoofer out plugin. Not seeing it anywhere else in the manual. Would this mean I can't use it with my turntable? Or is there another converter I can get?

Gray

The only analogue reference I see in the guide is in regards to the subwoofer out plugin. Not seeing it anywhere else in the manual. Would this mean I can't use it with my turntable? Or is there another converter I can get?
Yes, this (or the equivalent):
Then that to the optical input on the 109

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts