Need help to choose Cartridge etc..

GeorgePt

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,i'm new to analog audio and i want some advice about a system i want to buy. First for turntable i'm thinking of Pro-ject Debut Carbon but im confused about the cartridge,OM10 or 2M Red? There are comments about 2M Red such as tracking distortion,very bright and very clinically detailed in its presentation,pick up a lot of surface noise. I have some old LPs and i don't want much of surface noise. Is OM10 better with this issue? Also for speakers im going for Wharfedale Diamond 121 and for amp Yamaha AS-500. If it plays a role my bedroom is small so i think the 121 will be good enough for metal,hardcore,punk etc music right?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
How about a Nagaoka MP-110, I bought one as a spare and very surprised at how good it is, bright it is definately not, just calmer than the 10 x 5.

I find that background noise has dropped away compared to my Dynavector 10 x 5.

I got mine off a german ebay seller for £89.99 delivered - bargain if you ask me!

As for your amp & speakers - it will be a nice little system.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
GeorgePt said:
Hi there,i'm new to analog audio and i want some advice about a system i want to buy. First for turntable i'm thinking of Pro-ject Debut Carbon but im confused about the cartridge,OM10 or 2M Red? There are comments about 2M Red such as tracking distortion,very bright and very clinically detailed in its presentation,pick up a lot of surface noise. I have some old LPs and i don't want much of surface noise. Is OM10 better with this issue? Also for speakers im going for Wharfedale Diamond 121 and for amp Yamaha AS-500. If it plays a role my bedroom is small so i think the 121 will be good enough for metal,hardcore,punk etc music right?

I use both an OMP5e and VMS20MKII (closer to the blue as it has a nude mounted eliptical) on two different tables on occasions. I would not describe the Ortofon 'sound' as clinical or bright. Rather it is well focused, snappy and acurate, at least compared to some others. Less channel separation than say an AT but slightly more musical, less hifi.

There is little tracking distortion with either but that depends also on your alignment and tonearm. Yes, they do pick up surface noise which manifests itself slightly clearer than for example an AT with Shibata tip but it is simply because the sound stage is slightly less diffuse and more direct, not softening clicks and pops like other cartridges can.

Neither of the two you've listed will be the be it and end all of cartridges. Both will have limitations at the frequency extremes but to get better you have to pay more. I could give you examples of other cartridges/stylus combinations which will probably give you quite a bit more but you then get into the territory of looking for rare s/h examples.

I would personally say the Red is a safe, good value bet. You could try the Shure M97 but it has high frequency roll off and a slight boost to mid bass which, unless you have a phono stage which allows cartridge loading, may come over as to 'warm'. However, if that is what you're seeking, recommended.

All imho and limited experience

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Drummer - any personal experience with Nagaoka carts?

Unfortunately not. I'm happy with my various cartridges/stylii but am tempted to try one. Got some other hifi acquisitions to make first but it bodes well if you like it compared to a DV.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Its just a different presentation, stuff that I found a little too forwards with the 10x5 sounds nice with the Nagaoka, but I do like the 10x5 for most stuff. Had the MP110 on for a few weeks - not in a hurry to put the 10x5 back on. Maybe the Nagaoka is a better match for the Elicit's phono? What do you think?

GeorgePt

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the info but now im to chooce from Om10/2Mred.. In the future i will se for the Nagaoka.
Is Om 10 more neutral than the bright red? If red is more good with pick dust etc i will go for om10. In the end what will be match with my system? for heavy music like metal,hardcore etc.
sorry for bad English but its not my first language.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Difficult for me to comment on as I'm not familiar with either your amplifer or cartridge Steve.

I can only assume that Rega 'tunes' its phono stages with the rest of their systems/cartridges/turntables in mind. Rega's house 'sound' is neutral with no false warmth, at least thats my experience with their separates of a few years ago. I could imagine that a very revealing cartridge/stylus with little warmth may take the whole thing into a slightly less engaging territory, perhaps that is why you like the Naga which has similar high frequency roll off and low frequency boost as the Shure (I got some measurements in a mag somewhere, I'll post the data if I find it). But I understand that the detail and high frequency detail the DV probably diggs out is probably very appealing too.

I have no experience with expensive cartridges but find that Ortofon treads the path between the two extremes fairly well. A stage which allows loading can also help to shift the tonal balance. If I could afford one, I would like to try an Ortofon black but for me that would take things a little far at the moment.

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts