Need help/recommendations for desktop speakers

Helloman

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am a new member here and basically new to this high quality audio pursuiting field. I am looking for a pair of desktop speakers that have both good quality and good looks. My budget is around 300-600pounds/500-1000usd. Would be awesome if the speakers can support airplay/bluetooth tech too. So far I am looking at Audioengine a5+ and Kef x300a, altho the A5+ looks a little dull to me, and the Kef lacks wireless capabilities unless driving price to the tip of my budget (not to mention being 4stars...? not sure if difference between 4&5 stars mean that much...). I was going for B&W 685/686 but apparently thats another catergory... Are there any other good options in between? Any recommendations would be great thanks!

Tommy-
smiley-embarassed.gif

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
For this application I would almost always recommend a pair of small active speakers fed by an Airport Express for Airplay.

An example would be the Fostex PM04 or PM05. Have a look at some pro-audio online stores for a range of choices.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
For this application I would almost always recommend a pair of small active speakers fed by an Airport Express for Airplay.

An example would be the Fostex PM04 or PM05. Have a look at some pro-audio online stores for a range of choices.

Spot on.

Having wireless features onboard limits the choice immensly, The Kef is probably the best available in budget, along with the slightly more expensive Dali Kubik.

There are loads of active monitors monitors at very sensible prices that give great value when combined with an AEX. However, visuals might well be an issue so the Fostex, with their colour options night be a good call.

If you like 'different', check out Monkey Banana, Turbo 5 maybe.

Helloman

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into airport express option... altho I have read somewhere with people having very noticible audio issues when plugged with one. Ruark seems like a good option too. Also is it a good idea to use stereo speakers as desktop speakers (3.5mm to stereo converters)? If that is a reasonable method then I will have plenty of options to choose from.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts