Need help choosing which surround amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, i was wondering if anyone could help with regarding purchase of a new home cinema amplifier? My budget is £350, and it must decode all the new Dolby HD audio, and of course sound good with 2 channel as well. I also like deep solid bass, and must produce a vivid surround stage, with plenty of volume in the rear channels, something my previous Denon (5.1 DTS / Dolby Digital) lacked.

The contenders from what i have researched are:

Sony STR-DA2400 ES – Yes i know its over £350 BUT i have found a refurb for £325 , and i must say this amp is my preference, as i would ideally want an amp that up scales SD DVD’s to 1080P, as i have a 50” 1080P Plasma. I currently have my Tag DVD plugged into the plasma directly via component - would upscaling via an amp make the picture any better??? If it would not then that would make a big differance in price's for which amps i would need

Yamaha DSP-AX763 – Great reviews but no upscaling and only x2 HDMI (I only need 2 at the moment, for SKY HD and PS3).
I would prefer the Yamaha DSP-AX863, but can’t find this less than £586 (too much money)

Onkyo TX-SR577 – good review in computer shopper recently but 4* in what hi fi Vs 5* for Yamaha DSP-AX763

Sony STR-DG820 – £280 and recommended by what hi fi, no upscaling (not seen the review), no idea if this is any better than Onkyo or 763.

Sony STR-DH800 – replacement to above, but how come what hi fi are still recommending the DG version?

As i have SKY HD, i would require any amp has manually configurable optical / HDMI inputs, in that i must assign video to HDMI and 5.1 sound to Toslink, otherwise ill only get 2 channel (i am aware this was a problem with the Yamaha’s, and Sony STR-DA2400 ES which has been fixed via a firmware update)

My system comprises of:
Panasonic TH-50PZ80B
Tag Mclaren DVD-32R
Tag McLaren AV-32R (Standard)
Sky HD (Samsung box)
PS3
Speakers - Kef Egg‘s KHT 2005.2

I play CD’s through my Tag, as i believe this will be a far better 2 channel source than the PS3 – would this be a correct assumption? Also, an additional question – to get the best sound, would it be best to connect a toslink direct from my DVD to my amp, or from my pre amp (AV32R) to my amp
If i go via toslink from my pre amp, will the signal be pre amp’d, or do i need to use the multi channel pre outs?? Not too hot at wiring things up!! I am presuming the toslink would be best, as its digital as opposed to analog.

Thanks for any help in advance

Regards

Phil

A

Anonymous

Based on your choices and your preferences, the Sony STR-DA2400 ES would be the amp to opt for, in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

ta for the reply Sorreltiger, unfort i work away so i am buying from reccomendations off the internet, not the best way, but needs must!

Im getting the same replies off others, that at this level the upscaling chips are no good / better than me TV

Phil

A

Anonymous

I know it's probably not something you want to hear but I don't understand what your plan is.

Why would you want to replace a Tag McLaren AV-32R with something way way way cheaper? You're bound to be heading towards disappointment in my oppinion.

If the tag has pre-in maybe you can get a new blu-ray player that decodes all the new hd formats.

Just my hunble view on this though.

A

Anonymous

I would tend to agree with that, and this is the main reason why I still have my old receivers. These cost 800 and 600 when they were new and im not completely convinced I can get a better sound, having heard an Onkyo 606 with HD audio, without spending similar. The thing to do would be to try before you buy.

A

Anonymous

Also, having held an STR-DG820, which, on paper, would have been my choice of replacement, I can't say I feel the build quality is in the same league as what I already have. If anyone has had a Sony QS amp STR-DB XXXX and has upgraded to one of the Sony ES amps, could you tell me your opinions?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts