Need help choosing a speaker/amp combination

raiders4life12

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I am looking on buying a audio system to listen to music for less than $2000.

I have looked at the B&W 685 S2 and the KEF LS50, what are good amps for these speakers?

I am open to any suggestions for speakers,amps,sources i dont really have anything now

thanks in advance

raiders4life12 said:

I have looked at the B&W 685 S2 and the KEF LS50, what are good amps for these speakers?

I am open to any suggestions for speakers,amps,sources i dont really have anything now

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum. Are you in the States? Not sure how much you would have to pay for the speakers so maybe you could tell us your budget for an amplifier and what you want your source to be.

Note: you will also have to factor in some cables and speaker stands.

raiders4life12

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
$1500-$2000

i am in the United States.

I have a pono player and a fairly large cd collection so a CD player might be good but I have them digitally also.

i am not locked into the bw 685s so other suggestions are welcome

i was thinking around $1000 for speakers and around 500 for an amp give or take a hundred or so.

airplay would be good also

thanks

rainsoothe

Hey. Since you're considering the ls50, you should look at Focal Aria 906. They're cheaper than the Kefs, but sound waaaaay better then the B&W. Also, they are very easy to drive, unlike the Kefs, which require serious amplification.

As for the rest of the setup, I would look at a good amplifier and get a budget bluray player for now - of the Sony variety - for CD duties. For amp, look at Arcam A19, or, if it fits budget, Rogue Audio Sphinx. Or used/ex-dem Naim Nait 5si.

For full Arcam setup, you could plan for Arcam A19 + Arcam CDS27 with the Focals. I heard the combo and it sounds great.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
raiders4life12 said:

thanks in advance

I'm curious about your choice. You choose a B&W 685 and a KEF LS50, that are both chinese speakers of the higher entry class. Why this choice ? What is your unprecise geographical location ? Did you already listen to them in your interior ? What is the size of the room you want to fill with them ? And are you listening to rather quiet volumes, or are you pushing hard in your house ?

Those seems to be unrelated questions, but they are important for helping us to understand and help you better. Because we will not recommend you the same things if you are living in Dallas, or if you are living in Paris the price and brands available are changing.

Now I will give you an advice, but he is of poor quality because I don't have all those elements, so it's a little bit trashy, but if I would like no compromise in sound, in a european flat living room of a standard working poor, I would go for a used pair of Xavian XN270 speakers (around 1200/1400 euros, used, in good shape) on some Abrahasen V20. = king of the world. Its a high end pairing that will be superior on every sound aspect.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I used to own the LS50s and while they are good, they are also a bit limited. Bass output is poor, even the highest treble I found to be rolled off.

I ended up upgrading to a pair of Tannoy Precision 6.2s. These are floorstanders, sounds great and look great too.

raiders4life12

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm located in the United States.

My room is big and open and I like to listen at moderate levels.

I just chose those because they were highly regarded and in my price range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts