Need held with monitor audio bx5 and amp selection

kastor

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I would be glad to receive your advice please as I have just started my intro into hi-fi.

I mostly listen to classical music. After having listened to different combinations of speakers /amps and read a lot on the various forums, I decided to go for a paid of monitor audio bx5.

I would be glad if you could share your views about bx5's abilties for classical music and very importantly your suggestions for amp please.

My budget for the amp is around £500 and the room is 4x6m.

Thank you very much for the help!

Gravenhurst

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Good choice!

As you can see from my signature i use a marantz pm6004 to run mine which i find excellent and comes in significantly under your budget another good amp i tried was the Roksan Kandy k2 but that is a bit over your budget and to be fair the marantz should be more than adequate.

kastor

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much Gravenhurst for your response.
Do you also use it for classical music? Have you also listened to the marantz pm7004 please?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The Rega may be worth hearing, have not heard it with the BX5s though. YOu can get these for about £400 ex demo with full warranty. Why did you choose the BX5s?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I did an intensive audition of the MA BX5s with mainly classical music and and eventually bought Kef Q500s. I found that whilst the MX5s presented a realistic overall sound "image" they didn't separate out the various instruments in an orchestra very well. I also thought that they didn't reproduce a realistic piano sound; as I have posted before they sounded like a recording of a piano rather than a piano! (BX6s were similar although all-round rather better.)

I would audition a range of speakers in your price range as tastes differ. I found that I eliminated many very quickly because they couldn't handle things like solo lute music or solo voice whereas others were fine with that type of thing but couldn't handle orchestral music.

It should be an interesting and fun experience.

Chris

PS I bought Marantz CD/PM6004

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I've MA RS1 and I had until last December MA B4.

the best that you can buy with that budget is Rega Brio R and pair nicely with MA!

You can try NAD 326BEE or a bit over budget the New Arcam A19.

:cheers:

kastor

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Thank you very much for your responses!

I 'll check your suggestions in the audio room and revert.

There is a very interesting point; it seems that bx5s match quite well with pm6004, which is very good, whereas in the shops they say that those speakers should be driven by higher w amps like pm7004/8003, Arcam a28, etc.

Cheers,

Nick

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
PM7004 would be my choice over the 6004 - the extra power makes driving floorstanders effortless, with a powerful and dramatic sound that will work superbly with classical (I used a PM7004 to drive my floorstanding 684 B&Ws). Classical needs higher wattages to make the most of the dramatic rises and falls of the music. Roughly on budget too.

I might add I have one for sale on gum tree in black ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts