Need for Amp / Receiver with Denon DHT-FS3 Soundbar?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm looking into adding a Blu-ray player and the Denon DHT-FS3 Soundbar to my Panasonic 37 inch plasma (TH37PX80). I'm favouring a Panasonic Blu-ray (BMP-BD35 or BMP-BD55 probably) to take advantage of the Viera link.

I'm not looking to link the Soundbar to any other AV equipment just the TV and the Blu-ray player. Do I need to invest in a separate Amp / Receiver? I'm new to the home cinema game so forgive the noddy question!

I'm guessing one analogue connection from TV to Soundbar and an HDMI cable from Blu-ray to Soundbar would be all I would require and it looks as though the Soundbar has sufficient inputs for this.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The soundbar has a built in amp, so no external amplification required.

As an aside, what is the big advantage with these control systems such as Viera link?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, would be interested to hear any other advice/comments people may have.

As far as I can work out the only advantage of the Viera link is that it saves on the number of remotes you need and also the number of buttons you need to press as the TV / Bluray will talk to each other. There's no performance improvements just convenience.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
There has to be more to it than that. I have a Sony LCD and DVD player in the bedroom and can use either remote to control them. That said I use harmony remotes on my systems so the remote count is not an issue. Anyway, I'm just curious as to why people keep bringing up Viera, Bravia link et al when choosing kit. It doesn't enter my head when choosing equipment to be honest. I would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on it though......

A

Anonymous

Not sure there is more to it, the marketing blurb from the Panasonic web-site is set out below. Don't get me wrong, if Sony was producing significantly better budget Blu-ray players I would go for them but having read the Feb What Hi-Fi mag the 55 and 35 edge their Sony counterparts in terms of performance I'm looking for.

VIERA Link - Bringing control of all your AV Devices to just one fingertip!

Although Panasonic's Engineers spend a lot of time thinking about how to improve the already formidable picture quality of the latest VIERA Plasma or LCD TVs, or the audio clarity of Panasonic Home Cinema Systems, they do also think about "friendly" technologies - in other words, technologies which make operating these devices easier for users. A good and innovative example of this is "VIERA Link".

So what is VIERA link? Well, before we explain what it is, lets look at how people currently have to operate their AV products. Suppose you want to watch the latest film on Blu-ray disc - to do that, first you would have to power up the Blu-ray player with your Blu-ray remote control, then turn on your TV and select the correct AV channel input using your TV remote. After that you would need to switch back to the Blu-ray player remote control and press 'Play'. Oh, wait! What if you have have a Home Cinema Surround system too? Then you need to search for the Home Cinema remote in order to to switch on your AV Amplifier too. Therefore before you can do something seemingly simple like settle back to watch a film, you are forced to use three completely different remote controls! Sounds like a lot of bother, right? Well, Viera Link allows you to do all of this with just one remote control! So is VIERA link is just a fancy name for a universal remote? No - universal remotes are really not 'universal' at all. What they do is combine a bunch of incompatible controllers into one case. Watching a film on a Blu-ray disc with a universal remote requires pushing just as many buttons as using three separate remotes. However with VIERA link, you press just one button and the TV turns on, the Blu-ray player turns on, and the home theater surround sound system turns on and automatically selects the right inputs and settings to watch the Blu-ray film. VIERA Link works by making full use of the capabilities of the emerging de-facto High Definition connection standard, HDMI. Jointly developed by Panasonic, Sony, Hitachi, Philips, Toshiba and some others, HDMI is the first and only digital interface to combine uncompressed high-definition video and multi-channel audio in a single digital cable. For end-users, the fact that just a single cable carries audio and video signals dramatically simplifies the installation of home theater systems and eliminates the cable quagmires of the past! VIERA link is now takes this convenience to the next level by enabling users to use the same HDMI cables to also transmit control signals between different devices. What that means is you get universal control of all your HDMI home theater equipment, without having to worry about trying to figure out which remote control to use. Just point the VIERA remote at your TV, and the signal will travel over the HDMI wires to the right piece of equipment, whether it be a Blu-ray or DVD player or Home Cinema Surround system. The effect? Lets take another look at the example we discussed at the begnning: watching a film on Blu-ray. Using VIERA link, you simply press 'play' on your Blu-ray player, and the TV and surround system will automatically switch-on and set themselves to the correct AV input channels. Just by pressing one single button on one remote control. Sit back and relax - your film is starting!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, that is Viera link, but it's statement that you have to press as many buttons on a universal remote as you do on separate controllers isn't actually true. With the Logitech Harmony range (and most other universal remotes as well now), you have macro functions which mean one button press can do anything you want it to (including switching on the TV, Blu-Ray player and AV amp and setting them all to the correct input, plus adjusting anything else you want to adjust). So Viera link is a nice to have, but if you have a universal remote, it's not really worth thinking about.

However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't go for one of the Panasonics as they are fantastic Blu-Ray players.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts