Need for a DAC?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a newbie looking to purchase my first Hi-Fi setup and a despite doing a fair amount of research I would be hugely grateful if someone could just give me a confidence-boosting confirmation as to what I need.

I want to be able to play music through my laptop into the Hi-Fi, so am I correct in thinking that all I need would be a DAC, amplifier and speakers?

I'm on a fairly tight budget so am currently looking at the Cambridge Audio DACmagic, Marantz PM6003/ Cambridge Audio Azur 340A SE/ Cambridge Audio Azur 550A, Monitor Audio Bronze BX2/ Wharfedale 9.1/ Wharfedale 10.1.

From what I've read the combinations of Marantz PM6003 + Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 and the Cambridge Audio amps + the Wharfedale speakers seem to work complimentary to their components.

So do you have any thoughts on this set-up? I wouldn't need any more than the 3 mentioned components would I?

Thanks so much for the help!

Rob

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
hi Rob, welcome to the forums. I see you have done your homework. I previously had a 340 se with a dac magic soyou might find my opinion useful. I paired them with Mordaunt Shor Mezzo 6s and they sounded great. You could try the Mezzo 1 bookshelves I think the Cambridge Audio and Mordaunt Short synergy is great. The pm6003 is a great amp and it is often paired with the monitor audios but I have not heard the combination myself. I think either of the combos should be nice but I wouldn't pair the CA amp and MA speakers as they might sound bright together.

Let us kow how you get on,

Shafin

A

Anonymous

Hi shafesk, thanks for the response.

I haven't found a great deal of info about the Mezzo 1s - do you have any experience of them? How do they compare to the Wharfedales for example? Due to my budget (I'm hoping to get the DAC, amp and speakers for around £350 in total) I'm really looking at second-hand gear so I'm focussing on equipment that is likely to be available. I may have to be patient with my bargain-hunting before completing the set-up, although life's not quite as fulfilling without some decent speakers!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
What laptop is it? Have you stored your music in lossless/flac?

I think a standalone DAC is the only way to go to be honest and your budget isnt that big which is fine as you can always leave the DAC until funds allow. Use a 3.5>RCA lead to connect your laptop to your amp, obviously this will utilise the sound cards DAC.

Unless you can find a used dacmagic

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You could get a Class D amplifier with built in DAC (including asynchronous USB). The Teac A-H01 fits the bill and within your price range at less than £250 and is good value for money. The reviews are more than respectable.

A

Anonymous

It's a Macbook Pro. My music is stored in a variety of forms including flac, AAC and mp3. Of course if I did get a decent system I'd be sure to play the music in a worthy format. Have you had experience with wiring a computer directly to an amp with a 3.5mm to RCA cable? How does the sound quality compare with when it has gone through a DAC? If it's significantly inferior I'd rather wait for a DAC.

Thanks for the help!

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately I think the Teac A-H01 will be hard to find second-hand, but the in-built DAC is an option. I reckon the price difference when compared to a second-hand DACmagic + second-hand amp or suchlike will probably end up being fairly minimal though.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
RobSLF said:
It's a Macbook Pro. My music is stored in a variety of forms including flac, AAC and mp3. Of course if I did get a decent system I'd be sure to play the music in a worthy format. Have you had experience with wiring a computer directly to an amp with a 3.5mm to RCA cable? How does the sound quality compare with when it has gone through a DAC? If it's significantly inferior I'd rather wait for a DAC.

Thanks for the help!

In your position, I'd look at the Apple Airport Express, or ATV for video as well. This will enable you to stream your music wirelessly.

The amp choices would be either Onkyo TX-8050 or Harman Kardon HK3490, a DAC is built in to these units.

Add whatever flavour of speakers suit your taste.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Cambridge Audio 351a is £299 which has a built in DAC, USB input on the back for Laptops

Wharfedale 9.1's are £99 from superfi.

£50 over budget though. and brand new kit. Oh and Sorry i seem to have recommended my system.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
Seems I missed the budget bit, so in that case look no further than the AudioEngine A5+.

Around £300 and money left over for an AEX.

indeed or http://www.richersounds.com/product/bookshelf-speakers/cambridge-audio/sla25/camb-sla25-gls-blk

£200 Cambridge Audio SLA 25's

TRENDING THREADS