Need advice to upgrade from ProAc Studio 110

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks, I have a plan to upgrade my current home audio. My current setups are :

CD Player : Quad CD66 (soon will purchae Musical Fidelity M1CDT)

DAC : Musical Fidelity M1DAC

Int Amp : Musical Fidelity M3i

Speaker : ProAc Studio 110

Mains Cable : Chord Powerchord (All)

Mains Conditioner : Oyaide MTB-6

Speaker Cable : Chord Epic + Chord Signature Links

Interconnect Cable : Chord Chorus 2

Speaker Stand : Epos ST35

2mecmlg.jpg

The size of the room is 5 x 4 metres square. Ok, the thing is I am happy with this current setup, I love the sonic character of the ProAc and also MF. But I just want to go to the next level of sound quality. I am still confuse whether to purchase a new floorstander or upgrade to a higher end standmounter. Right now what I have in my mind is to upgrade to ProAc Studio 140Mk2 or ProAc Response D Two. I know that the D Two will be much more expensive that the 140Mk2, but it will be okay.

The main question is which one is more suitable with my whole current setup and also room size? Sometimes I feel that my current setup is a little bit lack of bass. Is it just because a standmounter speaker is not big enough for my room? Which one is better, a lower end floorstander or a higher end standmounter? For that term, I can take ProAc Studio 140Mk2 vs ProAc Response D Two as the example.

Thanks a lot guys.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I feel that the new Studio range is quite a bit better than the previous one to which your model belonged, so it might be worth looking at the Studio 140.2's. However, for an appreciable difference, I think the D2's are the ones to really move to.

If you're happy with your set up but want 'the next step', it might be worth auditioning a floorstander or two to see if you get on with them. They will produce a deeper bass, but I feel this comes at the expense of areas where the D2's will excel. To keep the quality of D2's, try the Response D18's - the D2's were based on the previous D15's, if I have my numbers correct.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have D Two with PV1 sub which I think is very good combination for the entire fequency range. The midrange is too good and the top end is as smooth as I ever heard till date..

If bass is the only requirement then in your room size, D Two can still deliver quite a bit but the absolute bottom end will be missed with out a sub, even with many floor standers out there.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I feel that the new Studio range is quite a bit better than the previous one to which your model belonged, so it might be worth looking at the Studio 140.2's. However, for an appreciable difference, I think the D2's are the ones to really move to. If you're happy with your set up but want 'the next step', it might be worth auditioning a floorstander or two to see if you get on with them. They will produce a deeper bass, but I feel this comes at the expense of areas where the D2's will excel. To keep the quality of D2's, try the Response D18's - the D2's were based on the previous D15's, if I have my numbers correct.

Yes, I also believe that in terms of detail and sound quality, Response D Two will be superior to Studio 140 Mk2. thanks for the heads up.

A

Anonymous

WishTree said:
I have D Two with PV1 sub which I think is very good combination for the entire fequency range. The midrange is too good and the top end is as smooth as I ever heard till date..

If bass is the only requirement then in your room size, D Two can still deliver quite a bit but the absolute bottom end will be missed with out a sub, even with many floor standers out there.

do you think for the low frequency reproduction, the difference from Studio 110 to Response D Two will be easily heard? Also do I need to change my speaker stand to higher end model? thanks.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The ProAc D18 is only marginally more expensive than the D2 so I think it warrants an audition at the very least.

But yes, if not the D18, then the D2 for sure.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

ID. said:
Not really on topic, but the Oyaide MTB-6 isn't a power conditioner, it's just a power distributor.

Yes, but AFAIK, it has internal conditioner using its internal wiring. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Singslinger said:
The ProAc D18 is only marginally more expensive than the D2 so I think it warrants an audition at the very least.

But yes, if not the D18, then the D2 for sure.

Good luck!

Unfortunately in my country, D18 is sold quite far more expensive than D2, almost 2 times more expensive. Thanks for the suggestion.

A

Anonymous

Just listened and auditioned ProAc Studio 140 and also old Monitor Audio GS60 in a store. In my opinion, Studio 140 is still better for vocal and staging, and GS60 is better at detail. Does anyone have experience listening both of them? need advice which one is better. Thanks.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
WeHa said:
do you think for the low frequency reproduction, the difference from Studio 110 to Response D Two will be easily heard? Also do I need to change my speaker stand to higher end model? thanks.

I think so but it is very different for different people. If you are looking absolute slam, I doubt any speaker would do that but it is just enhanced & tighter bass then Yes. If you have not tried it, experimenting your current speaker position will give you a lot of difference in low frequency response.

Speaker stands do not make much difference if it the current ones are heavy and you are using bluetac to secure the speakers to the stands.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts