Need advice on receiver/speaker plus sub combinations, from you knowledgeable folk!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I wonder could anyone give me some advice. We have a 37" Panasonic LCD, a newly built HTPC, and now want a home cinema system to replace our 7 year old Panasonic system.
Our budget is a meagre £250 ish but we could go a little further for something a lot better.

We already have a DVD recorder/player in the HTPC so need a receiver sub and speakers. I have had a look at Richer Sounds and they have a Yamaha RXV361 (AV Receiver) for £120 and Yamaha NSP110 (5.1 speaker package) for £80

Other Receivers include a Denon AVR1507 (Av Receiver) for £120 (but may not be available as I think it is discontinued) or a Sony STRDE400 (AV Receiver) at £100.

Other speakers would be Sony SSP88 (6.1 speaker package) at £140 or Tannoy FX5.1 Black (5.1 speaker package) at £170 but the Tannoy's are probably well out of our price range.

We have also looked at the Sony HT-DDW890 at £205 and the Yamaha AV-4101 at £274 on Pixmania, but as I understand it, both of these are European models rather than UK models.

I know next to nothing about audio systems, and I am unsure whether we should be looking at systems with HDMI connectivity, or in fact what connectivity we should be looking for. I can't even seem to find anywhere to read up on this sort of thing. Any recommendations on where I could learn more? Or could some kind person explain?

I know we should try and listen to these systems too, but no-where locally seems to do any of them.

As well as using this as a home cinema system, we would also use it to listen to music, anything from Classical, through Pop to Heavy Metal!

So if anyone has any of these systems/combinations to recommend, or simply knows what is likely to give pretty good sound quality I would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks and a Happy New Year

A

Anonymous

Just wanted to say that we have taken a gamble, gone ahead and ordered!

Thank you to all who took the time and trouble to read this and sorry to have wasted your time

A

Anonymous

The Yamaha AV-4101 - but please, please, please, don't anyone tell me that it is a terrible piece of kit. We agonised over it for days, and unfortunately we don't have anywhere local to go and listen to any sound systems, apart from Comet etc. as for various reasons I can't travel too far.

At the end of the day we decided that with that sort of system we could eventually upgrade bits and pieces over the years, as and when we could afford them.

This is everyones cue to say what a wise choice we have made, and what an excellent system it is!!!

Thank you

A

Anonymous

[quote user="waffle"]The Yamaha AV-4101 - but please, please, please, don't anyone tell me that it is a terrible piece of kit. We agonised over it for days, and unfortunately we don't have anywhere local to go and listen to any sound systems, apart from Comet etc. as for various reasons I can't travel too far.

At the end of the day we decided that with that sort of system we could eventually upgrade bits and pieces over the years, as and when we could afford them.

This is everyones cue to say what a wise choice we have made, and what an excellent system it is!!!

Thank you

[/quote]

Are happy with it? Can you post some kind of review?

I am about to make the same decision: I dont have a large budget, and i think this is a good compromise to a future speakers upgrade, what do you think?

Just another question, can i have tho zones with this amp? I would like it to power 2 aditional speaker to another room, can this easely be done (on/off the extra speakers).

I am thinking of buy this package from pixmania - it has HDMI and USB port.

Thanks, and greetings from Portugal

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ruigato"]
[quote user="waffle"]The Yamaha AV-4101 - but please, please, please, don't anyone tell me that it is a terrible piece of kit. [/quote]

I am about to make the same decision: I dont have a large budget, and i think this is a good compromise to a future speakers upgrade, what do you think?

[/quote]

My sister has an earlier version of this system in her fairly small flat, and at neighbour-imposed sensible levels it's more than adequate.

Not too sure I'd see it as a step on an upgrading path - the receiver is good enough for the speakers supplied, but might not justify spending more on the electronics later, and similarly a better receiver might be wasted on the speakers.

But as it stands, it's a good-value set-up from a company with an excellent reputation in this field, and a lot better than many a packaged 'home cinema in a box' solution for anything like the same kind of money.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"][quote user="ruigato"]
[quote user="waffle"]The Yamaha AV-4101 - but please, please, please, don't anyone tell me that it is a terrible piece of kit. [/quote]

[/quote]

My sister has an earlier version of this system in her fairly small flat, and at neighbour-imposed sensible levels it's more than adequate.

Not too sure I'd see it as a step on an upgrading path - the receiver is good enough for the speakers supplied, but might not justify spending more on the electronics later, and similarly a better receiver might be wasted on the speakers.

But as it stands, it's a good-value set-up from a company with an excellent reputation in this field, and a lot better than many a packaged 'home cinema in a box' solution for anything like the same kind of money.

[/quote]

Thanks for the answer Andrew Everard

I was thinking of buy this system and after upgrade the front speakers with an warferdale 9.1 or something in that price range. What do youthink?

To Mods: i didnt receive email notification of the answer even with the feature marked in the post.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthewpiano"]Be careful. The Diamonds need very good amplification to give of their best. I don't think the Yamaha will be up to the job.[/quote]

Thanks Mattew

I was hoping to get a decent system with low budget with this combo (The yamaha 4101 and next 2 waferdale 9.1 or Q Acoustics 101 front speakers) now i am afraid of make a bad decision...

Anyhow its better than a same price range all in one system isnt it?

How about this?: [quote user="My self"] Just another question, can i have tho zones with this amp? I would like it to power 2 aditional speaker to another room, can this easely be done (on/off the extra speakers).[/quote]

A

Anonymous

two zones means you can listen to different sources in different rooms. with a budget receiver you can only feed both pairs of fronts with the same source.

A

Anonymous

Just ordered one, please dont tell me that it was a bad decision :)

TRENDING THREADS