Need advice building my first Hifi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My housemate recently left and took his Hifi with him so I'm replacing it with my own.

I've got around £1,500 or more to spend and it will be in a large room being played mostly off an ipod.

I really like the look of the new KEF ls50 but wondering what amp would go well with it, I don't mind buying second hand stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

A

Anonymous

So what sort of equipment would suit a large room with mp3 as the source?

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh dear, don't wast your money if your gonna be using an iPod as a source, just buy an iPod dock and lump it.

but if you want to get serious look at ripping music onto a pc in high quality format and buying a dac and amp etc....

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
bluedaniel said:
So what sort of equipment would suit a large room with mp3 as the source?

You'll get a more helpful response here:

[LINK REMOVED - house rules]

Just buy a pair of AVI ADM9RS and be done with it!

There's no reason why you can't get good SQ from high-bitrate MP3s or equivalent, even when using an iPod as source.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Dynaudio Xeo 3 + Xeo wireless transmitter + Apple TV (or substitute an Onkyo ND-S1 for the Apple TV if you are not using an iPod Touch or iPhone/iPad device with AirPlay).

Leaves just about enough (out of the £1500) for a pair of speaker stands.

davescot

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi Daniel,

I have a Marantz PM 6004 amp and Marantz na7004 streamer (not Wi-fi) connected via cable through powerline adapter in my living room. I got this last year so you could probably get the streamer for less than £400 now. The Pioneer n50 network streamer seems to have supplanted the Marantz and costs £500. I have a pair of Wharfedale 10.1 speakers.

I have ripped all my Cds to Flac files on my PC using dBpoweramp and stream from my NAS box Synology DS 212j to the Marantz Streamer in the living room. I also use the Synology DS audio app on my Samsung Phone and tablet to stream the flac files from the NAS so can listen while in bed. The music files can also be accessed through my phone and tablet via a wi-fi connection when I'm away from home on holiday or at work for example.
This app also turns the phone and tablet into a handy remote control for the Marantz streamer in my living room. Better than the Marantz display as they also display CD cover art.

Hope some of this helps.

David

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone, think I'm a bit more informed now.

I know the whole ipod thing is unpopular but ipod and spotify is what most of my friends will use when they come over. I personally would use it for more digital radio and I would love to get into high quality files.

matthewpiano

Just be careful with some of the streamers from Marantz, Pioneer et al as they do not support gapless playback. Some people don't seem to care about this but if you listen to any music where there are seamless gaps between tracks, the gaps won't be seamless any more. To me, this makes these units completely unacceptable but you will have to decide for yourself.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
There's no reason why an iPod can't be a legitimate source. As you mention Spotify I guess it's a Touch ?

As is typical the first few responses you got were what you might expect here.

Phileas and Chebby have made good suggestions. Also do try [EDITED - house rules] forum for more positive input.

My personal choice would be an Apple TV or Airport Express to AVI ADM9, but I would say that :)

A

Anonymous

Store lossless files and use a dock with dac to get at the original lossless data before the iPod converts it, this is not a bad place to start surely

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
You could look at the Naim UnitiQute. Last years mode is now £999. And get a pair of Kef R100 which I believe you can pick up for as little as £399 if you shop around. That should give you great sound quality even with MP3s and will be future proof for when you do upgrade to lossless and eventually high-res 24/96 audio.

i have the Qute attached to some old Kef q10s and it sounds brilliant even when streaming Internet radio at 320k.

It's also easy to connect your iPad or iPhone or USB stick. One down side is that it doesn't have a CD player. But you can always attach a DVD player or PS3 to it via co-oxial or optical.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Dommer said:
You could look at the Naim UnitiQute. Last years mode is now £999. And get a pair of Kef R100 which I believe you can pick up for as little as £399 if you shop around. That should give you great sound quality even with MP3s and will be future proof for when you do upgrade to lossless and eventually high-res 24/96 audio.

i have the Qute attached to some old Kef q10s and it sounds brilliant even when streaming Internet radio at 320k.

It's also easy to connect your iPad or iPhone or USB stick. One down side is that it doesn't have a CD player. But you can always attach a DVD player or PS3 to it via co-oxial or optical.

Just add an apple airport express (digital output feeding the Qute) for streaming wirelessly directly from your iphone to the Qute and you have everything you asked for and more.

Only issue I can see is that you said its a large space, and the Qute isnt that powerful. Definitely worth a demo tho ;)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
bluedaniel said:
My housemate recently left and took his Hifi with him so I'm replacing it with my own. I've got around £1,500 or more to spend and it will be in a large room being played mostly off an ipod. I really like the look of the new KEF ls50 but wondering what amp would go well with it, I don't mind buying second hand stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Daniel

With that budget I would go for the following:

Apple TV/Airport Express for streaming from iphone/ipod touch/PC £67.99

Audiolab Mdac as Dac and Preamp £519.98 (including postage)

Cyrus X power as stereo power amp £500 or thereabouts (cant find one now but thats how much I paid)

Q acoustics 2050i £359.95

Total: £1,447.92

Plus I think it would sound pretty good too.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
gregvet said:
Dommer said:

Just add an apple airport express (digital output feeding the Qute) for streaming wirelessly directly from your iphone to the Qute and you have everything you asked for and more.

Only issue I can see is that you said its a large space, and the Qute isnt that powerful. Definitely worth a demo tho ;)

i agree with gregvet, the UnitiQute might not be powerful enough for a very large room. My setup is in a 4x6meter space and the Qute had enough power. But I still ended up adding a pair of used Musical Fidelity power mono blocks to give the sound a bit more sound stage and authority. You can always add a power amp or mono blocks at a later stage.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm currently going to Richer Sounds to have a listen to some speakers and will report back with what I think.

Just for reference, I've taken a photo of the living room the system will live in: http://imgur.com/JDRwD (its being redone at the mo).

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
The new RA12 amp from Rotel does most of what you want, but you'll need to add an airport express if you want wireless...there aren't many reviews of the amp, but its baby brother gets 5 stars from WHF.

Rotel RA12 = £599 (with built in DAC and ipod connection)

Kef R100 = £600

Airport Express = £65

Total = £1264

The LS50s might be a bit too much for the amp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts