need a step down transformer?

markyboy156

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
hi i just bought the usa version of the onkyo 5009 i need a step down transformer to use it in the uk it says that the amp is 120v model only can anybody recommend a step down transformer to use with the usa amp thanks could somebody reply asap please

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Something like this should be pretty much the minimum for an amp so powerful, but I would contact the transformer manufacturer and seek advice.It may suggest the heftier version would be advisable.

SX6996.JPG

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's rated at 1160watts so the small one will do.

You might want to take it to an electronics engineer to look at, the primary winding on the mains TX might be split and just need reconfiguring for 240V.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
It's rated at 1160watts so the small one will do.

Although I have heard about Onkyos used with some transformers of this kind not being too happy, which is why I suggested these units. The larger one will of course give the OP some leeway in case he fancies some more US purchases in the future.

eggontoast said:
IYou might want to take it to an electronics engineer to look at, the primary winding on the mains TX might be split and just need reconfiguring for 240V.

...Bearing in mind that doing so will invalidate the warranty: OK, so the OP is hardly likely to send it back to the States for service, but...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts