Need a new budget amplifier for a 640cV2 and BR5s

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Currently I have the Monitor Audio BR5s with a Cambridge Audio 640cV2 payer and I need an amplifier to complement the two.

I hear that the Rotel RA-04 and the 640c are well matched and I like its style but would it do the trick on my BR5s (im not a very loud listener however it would be nice if power was available just in case)

But.. there is the possibility of the CA 540A V2 which renders a higher power output and it goes with my cd player and it too is rated very well.

Decisions decisions, such is life!

Could anyone sway me or do I need to toss a coin?

My budget is £250

Matt

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
As I've mentioned on another post, I heard a selection of MA speakers off of an RA04, from the BR2 to the RS6, and all sounded fantastic, and at no point (even when listening really quite loud) did the volume control go past about 11 o'clock.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mattjax05"]I hear that the Rotel RA-04 and the 640c are well matched and I like its style but would it do the trick on my BR5s (im not a very loud listener however it would be nice if power was available just in case)[/quote]

In that case I would avoid the the CA 540A V2. At low volumes it can suffer from channel imbalance and the sound is lacking something unless it's reasonably well cranked up. Only consider if you can get Richer Sounds to lend you one to try at home - pretty unlikely I would say.

A

Anonymous

Hi Matt
I have a Rotel RA-05 ( same as RA-04 except it's remote control ) and BR5s and yes they work really well together, even though the Rotel is only rated at 40W/p/c into 8 ohms [experts have told me this will mean it is 75w/p/c into 6ohms, namely SuperFi's website, and i quote
"Watts: A measure of power - the higher the wattage, the greater the power of the amplifier. Wattages are measured into a load - that is to say that the figure is dependant on the speakers the amplifier is driving. An amplifier that outputs 50 watts into 8 ohm speakers, will output 100 watts into 4 ohm speakers as they have half the resistance. All amplifier ratings quoted on this site are into an average 8 ohm load except where specified. This is because, typically, the average speakers' load is 8 ohms." ]
it still works with the speakers, and is of course, bi-wirable.
Interestingly enough, the RA-05 i got from ebay, 6months old for a paltry £240 - within your budget... There's many a bargain to be had there my friend...
The bass response is pretty good, although I am using a Marantz cd player which may have slightly more depth than your cambridge - but this is going on past experience of a CA D300SE, and CA have moved on just a tad since then...

If it was my £250 ish, I'd go for the Rotel.

A

Anonymous

Hello Cypher
The BR5s are a luttle fussy yes, they certainly don't like being stuffed into the corners of rooms that's for sure, I have mine at least 2feet away from either wall where corners are concerned.
If you do need them closer to walls, corners etc, make sure you use the rear bass port bungs or you will just hear over-bearing boomy bass, which isn't nice.
Neil.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts