Need a little bit more bass. Short and long term.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
After setting up my new system and finding that I have not quite cured my upgraditis I am pondering a few things. My setup is currently Cyrus 6xp Rega DAC PMC TB2+ speakers I have found that I am missing a slight touch of bass. This could be many factors, I know. It could be that my previous systems have always been slightly bass heavy, by design or not, and my current system is simply more accurate per the actual recording. It could be the combination of components are what would be termed 'lean' etc. My question is regarding hopefully solving this but only by a small increment as I have found that what I may have lost in bass, I have more than made up for in clarity in the upper and midrange and sheer revelations regarding detail! If I could just add that little touch of extra bass, I think I may be able to leave looking at all the hi fi stuff, for at least a while :D I am thinking that I could start off with better stands and cable for the speakers. I have moved the speakers nearer the wall, as far as possible and this helped slightly. Currently using some thin no name stands and QED XT Anniversary, which I have read is considered lean in itself, thus I imagine another cable would help a little. Any recommendations? Flx-slip-144, talk-3, qed-revelation, atlas hyper-30 and xt40 are what I have come up with that may help there. After also purchasing an Audiolab 8200CDQ the other day (will therefore be in a position to sell the Rega DAC unless the overall sound alters unfavourably) I am now wondering that now as I have two options regarding upgrading to a power amp, which route to take. An Audiolab Power Amp would enable me to sell the Cyrus but would I benefit from that or would a Cyrus Power Amp be more suitable? Considering the sound I am after I am thinking a Cyrus Power Amp. Then I am curious as to whether I should lump for an 8000P or new 8200P. Monoblocks are a bit out of my budget at the moment. Although I did consider an Audiolab M-PWR as I can pick one up new for £299 and this could suffice until the 8200Mb are within reach. Maybe the little box would suffice overall, although only being 40w, I don't know. I feel I am in a good position but with too many options. I know auditioning is the decider but was hoping for some opinions beforehand as to maybe what I can expect. I am not looking to change the sound too much as I am generally happy, but I do miss that little bit more bass. However should it be a trade-off between losing what I have gained for more bass then I will leave the system as it is. Maybe speakers and cable will do it?

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Apologies for the layout of that post. I did set it out better but this forum....just lumped it altogether and now it says I am not authourised to Edit it?!

It let me edit this post though???*dash1*

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
Your lucky.....Most of my larger, but sensible posts don't make it through the 'spam' filter, so I keep my posts short these days!

Haha, yup. Had to put up with that last night, so I waited until today. Buggy as...

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
A more powerful amplifier wouldn't go amiss.

Look for something around 100 watts.

That *may* be more long term. However, as I mentioned I am unsure of which route to take. Add a power amp to the Cyrus or add a power amp to the 8200CDQ? Adding to Cyrus will give a similar sound but improved or at least more powerful, whereas Audiolab may give a slightly different tone, which I have not sampled. Hence all the questions. :D

The sound and volume I get now is nothing to complain about, just a tad more bass. I would like to upgrade the amp in some way though, just maybe not immediately.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
steve_1979 said:

It wouldn't be more bassy though. The only way do get more bass is to choose different speakers, add a sub or choose an amp with tone controls.

I agree. Only the speakers / sub / tone control are going to make a real worthwhile difference to the depth of the bass.

But a more powerful amplifier will control the speakers properly during the dynamic music peaks where the little 40 watt amp is probably struggling to cope. This should help the bass a little bit and will be a big improvment to the overall sound quality.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
max337 said:
steve_1979 said:

That *may* be more long term. However, as I mentioned I am unsure of which route to take. Add a power amp to the Cyrus or add a power amp to the 8200CDQ? Adding to Cyrus will give a similar sound but improved or at least more powerful, whereas Audiolab may give a slightly different tone, which I have not sampled. Hence all the questions. :D

The sound and volume I get now is nothing to complain about, just a tad more bass. I would like to upgrade the amp in some way though, just maybe not immediately.

I wonder what you mean by a 'bit more bass'?

Do you need greater bass extension or are we talking about greater mid bass punch? Or extra warmth?

Before offering much in the way of suggestions it would be nice to know what you mean.

gasolin

PMC recommends atleast 40 watt pr channel so you might want a bigger amp, can you move them closer to a wall?

What about upgrading the amp like they surgest in the review?

http://www.whathifi.com/cyrus/6xp/review

Considered a subwoofer?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
TrevC said:
steve_1979 said:

It wouldn't be more bassy though. The only way do get more bass is to choose different speakers, add a sub or choose an amp with tone controls.

I agree. Only the speakers / sub / tone control are going to make a real worthwhile difference to the depth of the bass.

But a more powerful amplifier will control the speakers properly during the dynamic music peaks where the little 40 watt amp is probably struggling to cope. This should help the bass a little bit and will be a big improvment to the overall sound quality.

Having added a PSX-R to my cyrus amplifier has brought the ample bass under better control and tidied up the sound. A noteable improvement as I don't like to much bass but it's just perfect now hence I have no desire to go down the separate power amplifiers/mono amp route.

So, with regards to the OP, if you like what you have and only want a 'supceon/smidgen/touch' (take your pick) of bass, trade in the 6 and get an 8 if you don't mind cyrus.

Can't help with the Audiolab.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
steve_1979 said:

Hmmm. I feared that. The speakers won't be going anywhere for a while. They are in a different class to what I am used to and am enjoying my music with them a lot.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
TrevC said:
steve_1979 said:

I do have a DALI E9F. Could this somehow be incorporated into my hifi system without the hassle of disconnecting it from my AV system do you think?

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
TrevC said:
steve_1979 said:

Your second point is what I am ultimately aiming for, maybe not immediately. Thought of adding a power to either the Cyrus or Audiolab.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most upgrade the amp. That Cyrus 6 is not enough amp to get the best from those speakers.

(why anyone would pay the price they ask for 40wpc is beyond me)

Saying that - placing the pmc's on hollow wooden boxes with a 'port' (instead of stands) could help in the presentation.

Experiment with supports for the boxes aswell has positioning.

You may just hit the right combo.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
max337 said:
steve_1979 said:

I wonder what you mean by a 'bit more bass'?

Do you need greater bass extension or are we talking about greater mid bass punch? Or extra warmth?

Before offering much in the way of suggestions it would be nice to know what you mean.

Sure, but I struggle with these kinds of descriptions personally. For example listening to Massive Attack, Risingson with it's bass guitar sounds leaner but still excellent and I can adjust to that as it feels a lot more accurate, what I am meant to hear I believe. Whereas with Angel, I really did enjoy the heavy bass notes of the beginning of the song. With my new system, it's lacking.

I am aware I may be asking the impossible and should just add new stands, copper cable and get used to it. Then in the near future hopefully, upgrade with a power amp or such.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Trust you have not moved yr seating and are now sitting in a bass null? Does bass increase as you move around or sit on the floor? Just a thought which feel free to ignore if it does not apply

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Are the PMCs toed in towards the listening position? Also change your seating back and forward so you make sure you don't sit in a null, like Robin suggested.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
gasolin said:
PMC recommends atleast 40 watt pr channel so you might want a bigger amp, can you move them closer to a wall?

What about upgrading the amp like they surgest in the review?

http://www.whathifi.com/cyrus/6xp/review

Considered a subwoofer?

Amp upgrade is on the cards but not quite yet and am looking for little tips to improve slightly, which could be all I need. I'm still keen on upgrading the power of the amp however.

I have moved them closer to the wall and seems a touch better but a room re-arrnge is in order to move them closer, which may be doable, wife permitting :D

I think utilising my subwoofer (DALIE9F) could be the answer as it requires nothing additional but am unsure if I can have the AV and Cyrus connected to it at the same time. I wouldn't have both amps on at the same time though!

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
steve_1979 said:
TrevC said:
steve_1979 said:

Having added a PSX-R to my cyrus amplifier has brought the ample bass under better control and tidied up the sound. A noteable improvement as I don't like to much bass but it's just perfect now hence I have no desire to go down the separate power amplifiers/mono amp route.

So, with regards to the OP, if you like what you have and only want a 'supceon/smidgen/touch' (take your pick) of bass, trade in the 6 and get an 8 if you don't mind cyrus.

Can't help with the Audiolab.

I don't mind Cyrus but am open, it's just the ability to demo that is preventing me at the moment. I like to think of that upgrade as a last resort simply to get a touch more bass but plan to do so anyway in some shape or form.

Would the 8 simply be more powerful thus adjusting the bass, or is it considered to have a different quality regarding bass, if that makes sense?

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
I agree with most upgrade the amp. That Cyrus 6 is not enough amp to get the best from those speakers.

(why anyone would pay the price they ask for 40wpc is beyond me)

Saying that - placing the pmc's on hollow wooden boxes with a 'port' (instead of stands) could help in the presentation.

Experiment with supports for the boxes aswell has positioning.

You may just hit the right combo.

That's what I am hoping and will experiment galore when I get the chance. Didn't think about boxes as supports, sounds interesting! Thanks.

Re the 6xp and its price, I bought it new at what I considered a real bargain. I knew it was a good amp and thus a good base to start on as I required *some* sort of a system straight away. Can't be doing with no decent music.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

Why would anyone in their right mind do such a thing? Why add boom and resonance to the sound?

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Trust you have not moved yr seating and are now sitting in a bass null? Does bass increase as you move around or sit on the floor? Just a thought which feel free to ignore if it does not apply

I have moved about and compared what I thought the sound to be like but tbh I didn't pay too much attention to where and what that much. I will repeat this when I (hopefully) get to re-arrange the room and pay it more mind thanks. :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts