Need a help choosing between KEF X300a or Adam A3X

Lionlian

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking for a active speaker and decide to choosing between KEF X300a and Adam A3X.

I'm particular fond of Female Vocal and High, From what I read X300a are magically great with Mid and high,

But is support up to just 24bit/96khz is a problem for me.

While I Only find a very few review about A3X but It seem to do Great on Vocal and Treble too.

Can you help me Choosing between thoses?

By the way I'm going to use them as Home use not Nearfield-monitor, and I'm mainly listen to female vocalist JPop and few Classical.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Personally I'd go for the Kefs. As a desktop nearfield I might be able to live with the lack of bass from the Adams, but for hifi the minimum I'd want is the A5X.

Why are you so concerned about the Kefs not handling higher than 24/96? Do you really have that many files at higher resolutions? I doubt that you could really pick the difference between 24/96 and 24/192, or CD resolution and 24/96 for that matter, particularly with that level of equipment.

Lionlian

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Well is maybe a placebo effect, but as now I'm really get used to Hi-res, CD quality file just seem a bit too harsh and sound not as refine as hi-res for my ear too.

so most of my music is Hi-res 24bit/96khz file but I just want to play 192KHZ and DSD at native resolution too, but then againt I'm not really that much of Audiophile nor have a Golden ear maybe I can satisfy with KEF x300a 24/96khz too.

By the way I'm totally fine with lack of Bass or bloated bass as I really just care much more about Female Vocal and Treble, and I really want to knows which one is seem to suits my preference better,A5x seem to worth to save up penny too.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Given your requirements, I suggest you investigate the Equator D5.

Another 'take' on the dual concentric design, using more traditional, ie not metal, domes and cones. The trick with this speaker is the dsp that handles the crossover and time allignment, resulting in a midband that is more transparent than anything remotely close in price.

http://www.equatoraudio.com/New-Improved-D5-Studio-Monitors-Pair-p/d5.htm

They are less expensive too, giving you some extra funds to put towards an 'all singing, all dancing' dac.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:

Another 'take' on the dual concentric design, using more traditional, ie not metal, domes and cones. The trick with this speaker is the dsp that handles the crossover and time allignment, resulting in a midband that is more transparent than anything remotely close in price.

They are less expensive too, giving you some extra funds to put towards an 'all singing, all dancing' dac.

interesting looking speakers. A quick search and it doesn't look like they are distributed here. Shame. I'd love to listen to a pair. At that budget I also want to listen to a pair of the JBL LSR305, which at least is widely available here. I have to say I prefer the looks of the Equator and I'm a sucker for the slightly novel technology.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
davedotco said:

interesting looking speakers. A quick search and it doesn't look like they are distributed here. Shame. I'd love to listen to a pair. At that budget I also want to listen to a pair of the JBL LSR305, which at least is widely available here. I have to say I prefer the looks of the Equator and I'm a sucker for the slightly novel technology.

If there is no distributer, they will sell direct out of the USA at $499 + Shipping. In the UK they are not that well known, but available at £399.

They are, in my estimation a class or two better than the Ls305s but then they are nearly double the cost.

Their strong point really is a transparent quality, that apart from the frequency extremes, is of a very high quality. A lot of 'hi-fi' enthusiasts will not like these speakers, they are not smooth, or warm or 'hi-fi' in any sense, just clean and transparent, but given the bandwidth limits, they are quite superb.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
ID. said:
davedotco said:

If there is no distributer, they will sell direct out of the USA at $499 + Shipping. In the UK they are not that well known, but available at £399.

They are, in my estimation a class or two better than the Ls305s but then they are nearly double the cost.

Their strong point really is a transparent quality, that apart from the frequency extremes, is of a very high quality. A lot of 'hi-fi' enthusiasts will not like these speakers, they are not smooth, or warm or 'hi-fi' in any sense, just clean and transparent, but given the bandwidth limits, they are quite superb.

that works for the OP. Personally I'm just interested in hearing them as I'm pretty well served for active monitors at the moment and the criteria for my living room speakers currently requires a grill or something protecting the drivers from toddlers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts