Neat Motive 3 vs Petite SX SECOND THOUGHTS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
When I listened to the Petit's I found them to be much more emotive/alive than the Motive's. This was with a Roksan amp and Densen CD player. The Motive's, however, I found to be better than the PMC DB1's and ATC7's. I was moving on from BW CDM1SE's, which were pretty good, but lacked depth of scale and clarity, but had excellent bass and bottom end.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Hi Ambrose

I've experienced the simllar thing with my set-up. I've heard other speakers which are technically better than the RS6, but, as I've pointed out before, there just seems to be something missing from the presentation. Not sure whether it's a balance thing or something more subtle. This is the main reason I'm so reluctant to tamper with my current kit.

I'd say if there's a scintilla of doubt, see them out.

Have you tried the upgraded arcam cd player out of interest? If so what did you think?

Enjoying the Motive's at the moment, think they aren't as good as petites but better balanced in my system. just sound right and damn stocking good speakers too.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
Very interested in this thread.

I have always wondered how much the Petite SX would add to my Motives but in all honesty never really felt the need to change my speakers given they sound so good. The mark up is sufficient for me need a pretty high improvement to warrant changing.

I tried some £1500 Proac standmounts to compare to my Neat Motives a couple of years ago but whilst they were also really good they didnt really improve on the Motive 3s much if at all. I still think the Motives are amazing value speakers 4 years on - although have to say when i bought them new they were £750 - speakers have generally increased in price a lot over the last few years it seems.

Hi Crusaderlord,

I guess the only way you will know is to demo at home but you have stuck with the motives for 4 years now which speaks volumes, and I can understand why.

Part of the problem for me is matching equipment and some albums which are not as well mastered sound worse on the petites but listenable and enjoyable on motives. The arcams are more powerful I guess than my nait and with cd player probably smoother so a transition to petites might work better for you but i would wonder if the improvement would be worth it or not... only you can say.

One other thing for me is I find the motives more exciting and hence feel more enjoyment.

No question the Petites are very very good speakers and more compenant than Motives. I agree with Franks comments after listening btw too!

Hope have helped in some way

Ambrose

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
They are supposed to be highly entertaining, much like the motive speakers. Have you seen/heard?

Too much for me. I think if anything I would look to try out the nait xs as a match for Motive's next but I want to forget system changes / tweaks for now as I realise how enjoyable a system I have.

It is difficult to know when enough is enough!!!

cheers

Ambrose

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Ambrose said:
Ambrose said:
Hooked up the Petite’s last night and had a couple of hours to play and test out.

Speakers are similar size to Motive’s but wider / flatter and bigger woofer, but surprisingly seemed lighter. Need careful handling as no covers which is a pain for me setting up / packing away each time.

Initial impressions were lower level listening were not as impressive as Motive’s, however, the motives are extremely good at low volumes due to their punchy and very dynamic sound signature.

Started to play with setting up on stands with / without risers or bluetac and with different digital interconnects and was feeling a little flat in comparison to Motive’s. The soundstage and levels of details clearly superior and more layers in music with better scale. Whereas the Motive’s are a bit more one dimensional (not what I originally thought) the Petite’s present a rock solid soundstage with greater separation. Reminds me a little of the soundstage when I demoed the Linn Silver interconnect, very tangible and in control.

Took a while to get stand/speaker setup right and don’t know if it took some time to adjust to new speakers or gear to warm up from cold or seemed more like when I changed from using risers to very small blobs of bluetac, but by the end of the evening things started to really sound sublime and the foot tapping started again testing lots of tracks to see if anything new jumped out.

So far I would suggest the Petites are lively (as opposed to bouncy Motive’s), super fast with spot on timing, much more resolving than Motive’s and I think a little fuller with greater scale. The Motive’s are punchier and more dynamic with the Nait 5i I am using and although I suspect an XS would deliver more the Nait 5i seems perfectly up to the job which is good news!!!

The Motive’s probably sound more exciting and don’t seem that much less lightweight sounding overall than Petite’s. The Petite’s are really drawing me into the music however.

Be interesting to see how I evaluate after next few days.

Ambrose

Hmm Petite SX speakers… starting to have doubts L

Although clearly better speakers in resolution, speed, scale and soundstage and with a slightly fuller sound I can’t help feeling it is not balanced in my setup like with the Motive’s. Few thoughts:

Not as good at low volumes (quite important to me)

Although lively sounding and fairly punchy, the Motive’s are still better, perhaps in part that the AMP is able to get more out of Motives than Petite’s? Even at Shop the Motive’s (played through Nait XS and new CD5si were not as dynamically bouncy, give you as much change in volume between quieter / louder parts of music and hence not as punchy / exciting to my ears as the Motive’s. I guess the Petites a more balanced speaker and being very able speakers would suit a much higher end rig?

Am finding a little harder on the ear listening, whereas the Motives I can listen all day to anything and enjoy at some level. I guess because the Petites are a lot more insightful / revealing and Nait 5i might not be the best match long term.

I have been doing some listening just to Petite’s last 3 nights trying to adjust to them and thought at end of last night I would swap back Motive’s and it just worked better / sounded more emotionally involving.

Will listen some more but think they might disturb a very well balanced system. My second thought after listening to Motive’s again was that these are wonderful and still detailed speakers and maybe match me better than the Petite’s? When listening to The Who “behind blue eyes” it just stirs my emotions and the vocals encompass you. I think this may have helped quash the tweak / upgradeitis and to enjoy the music.

Hmmm, think I have made up my mind but will have to make sure as possibly won’t have such an opportunity to own Petite’s as I have now again. A shame if so as wanted to be like the Motive’s + extra but are in fact a little different.

Might be another story if the rest of electronics were significantly upgraded but that’s only likely over a longer period of time.

Opinions welcomed.

Well an update after some time. I am now running Naim CD5XS CD player and decided to try some Petite SX speakers again, buying of a well known site for £450 (were B grade - but not noticeable).

Had a few months and still have Motive 3's as well. I did hear new Motive SX at dealer and preferred the 3's.

I am now starting to appreciate the Petite SX having had the chance to listen for longer and importantly find the best positioning (which is alot harder than the Motive's). Quite a lot of original opinions remain the same but I have become more familar now and switching back to Motive's I get an initial feeling how they are better at entertaining and better at lower volume, but after an hour, the feeling of missing something.

I believe the Petite's will stay and am now looking to add Naim DAC to CD5XS or maybe look at Supernait Mk1 as alot of development was apparently done on these. I have heard nether however to date :) There are a few Naim Forum members who run high end sources with Petite's and they seem to deliver with such as capable as they are.

The petite's are a special speaker and given patience are worth the investment!

Ambrose

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
The Naim SuperNait mark 1 can often be had pretty cheap on the well known auction site. I saw one go for £1100 last week for a 2012 model. Pretty good considering it was originally £2500!

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
wilro15 said:
The Naim SuperNait mark 1 can often be had pretty cheap on the well known auction site. I saw one go for £1100 last week for a 2012 model. Pretty good considering it was originally £2500!

[/quote

Hi, yes I did spot that one. I am biding my time but would prefer to wait a while in case local dealer comes by one, or a naim dac.

TRENDING THREADS