Neat Motive 2 speakers

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone experienced these lovely small Neat floorstanders? I am thinking of buying some in October- but there is no dealer close enough for me to audition them, which is a shame! Anyway, I want to replace my current floorstanders (acoustic energy aelite 3's). I believe that replacing my speakers with the Motive 2's will bring me closer to the sound that I am looking for. Natural, musical, spot on timing and not too fussy about positioning.

Your views/ opinions would be great. Clare or Andrew- would definitely like your expert opinion on the motive 2's.

Thank you,
me

A

Anonymous

I am the furthest away you can get from an expert but my opinion is that they are awesome little speakers, but dont like being driven too hard. Just make sure you dont listen to the motive 1's otherwise you will end up spending a lot more! PJ Hi Fi in guildford (great lads there) are delivering mine to me next week.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your opinion,it's funny because those are the exact guys I am in contact with to get my Motive 2's. What is the bass like from these little wonders? I know it will not go as low as my current speakers (20hz) but all I want is tight, punchy bass anyway.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The 2's are great and 1's even better (obviously). Musical and lot of fun but at resonable volume, crank your amp up and they can sound bright. Room friendly and realistic soundstage too. What are you electronics?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Roksan Kandy LIII intergrated, Arcam C93, Russ andrews signature powerkords, silencer block, filter and speaker platts. Various other tweaking essentials. Brilliance synergy interconnects and Kimber Kable 8TC single run speaker cables (4TC JumperS also included)

Are the Motive 1's really better because they have an extra driver?

A

Anonymous

Interesting to hear the comments about the 1s.

I'm eying up a complete Motive package for both stereo and AV purposes, with probably the 2's being the fronts and my stereo speakers...A certain Naim dealer in Leicestershire recommended the 2 over the 1 model, saying that the 1 "wasn't as together...and musical", even saying they ditched their demo pair as everybody was buying the 2's over the 1's.

I'm presuming the 1 has a little more low end grunt, but will wait until I hear both together....certainly the cute small size of the 2's is attractive...

Slightly worried about them turning bright at volume having read TM's feedback....

A

Anonymous

Didnt think either were bright when pushed to be honest. The 1's handled the higher volumes much better and remained clear and defined when pushed (in the low end especially). They do sound different to the 2's and i guess its down to personal taste, but i liked the 1's and you can play them louder without loss of sound quality which suites me. Both were very nice to listend to, stunning in fact.

I've ordered the whole AV package and it serves very well for music and movies. All the other packages i auditioned were compromised too much one way or the other.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Small world - i bought some Neat Motive 3 speakers a couple of weeks back after a 3 hour demo of various standmounts at PJ HiFi in Guildford - they are recommended.

I thought the Neat 3 were the best of a very good audition bunch so i would be fairly confident on the 2's as well.

My review of the various speakers was posted on this forum link.
http://whathifi.com/forums/t/123242.aspx

A

Anonymous

Sounds good Gander
emotion-21.gif
....you're exactly right about the 'compromise' aspect, hence why I'm changing direction with my kit...

Did you get the 3's for the rears, or another set of 2's ? As my room is fairly large and 'hard', I'm possibly thinking of the 2's all round, although I'll be getting a custom finish from Neat, so it's pushing the price up all the time....Ideally, I'd go for the 3's, perhaps even wall mount them, and save a bit of cash...after all, they will be just rears. it's the front end I'm more concerned about...

I've had some good dialogue with PJ Hifi also, and will probably test out the Neats, N-sats and B&W's XT with them - they are one of the few that holds all 3 brands! I have a feeling the answer lays with the first 2.

A

Anonymous

1's on the front, the dedicated centre speaker and then the 3's for the rears. Went for the 3's becasue i want to have them higher for movies as the hight without a doubt makes a difference. Cant wait to hear the fronts Bi amped, as they were just running off two channels when i auditioned them with my onk905. Will see if its an improvement or not.

I hear you on the good dialogue. They are good lads at PJ and i would recommend the shop to anyone.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Gander,

Thanks for the info. I am slightly worried that it might sound bright when really pushed. My amp does a health 120W per channel- is that too much power for the little wonders called neat motive 2's? I do like to listen to my music loud, but I am currently forced to lower the volume in my currect setup as the treble is just too bright. Will this happen with neat motive's? Where are the experts today (don't want to mention any names: Clare and Andrew)- working? :)

A

Anonymous

i would say the 1's if you like it loud. Like i said i didnt think they were not bright at all. I had listened to rega, and dali's in the same day and they were not as bright as these by a long way. The only thing to do though as we all know is to have a blast at PJ's.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
the only thing that is stopping me from buying the Motive 1's is the size...it seems pretty petty but the motive 1's are just superb with it's dimensions. I guess I have akready made up my mind!! ha ha

Thanks for your assistance Gander. Much appreciated

I will report back once I have them up and running :) aint' hi-fi great!

A

Anonymous

i must say that i didnt listen to any other speakers in the motive 1's price range so you may want to consider others in that price bracket if you are going for the 1's. But if you are sticking with the 2's then they were the best i heard in that price range. But please have a listen for yourself before you buy. Enjoy!!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
What I meant to say was- I am going for the Motive 2's not 1's. Maybe I will take a drive down to PJ's...and like you said, try them out first.

A

Anonymous

The Neat Motive 2's are very good. These were better than my EPOS M22's - I auditioned these amongst others before finally deciding on the 1's, which are superb.

I brought my own kit and cables - Roksan Kandy LIII, Rega Apollo, Chord Chameleon Silver Plus and Chord Rumour 4. The 1's sound much better now with my present kit.

Your ears are your best judge, contrary to opinions and suggestions.

A

Anonymous

Apologies forÿresurrectingÿthis, but wanted to ask Gander a question, if you're listening:

How did you place your Motive 3's, on stands or wall mount ? If wall mount, how did you do it ? I'm likely to go for the same set up as you, Motive 1 or 2's up front, with 3's as the rears, but ideally would like to have them higher, and on the wall....so it's a question of fixing them, as well as how they sound against a wall....ÿ

A

Anonymous

I got mine installed last tursday and they have been wounted on the wall via side grip brackets (about two foot above head height, fractionally behind listening position and toed down / in slightly). Your dealer will be able to contact neat and they recommend them. I dont use the 3's for music but maybe someone can advise with regards to the case for or againts wall mounting and stand mounting for musical sound quality. For using soley as rears though it works a treat and they sound great for that.

I love the whole neat set up. Not only does it sound great it also looks very smart (even though mine have been delivered with the wrong finish. Something that is going to be remedied without fuss by PJ and Neat. Only downside is i will have to run them in again). My room is not that great right now as its a bit lively so once we have more furnishings and a big rug down its should be much better.

I will post some photos under "your system" on the forum.

emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Cheers Gander, appreciate....Ok, I'll deal with Neat and the dealer nearer the time, good to know it gets the green light from them. If there had been no decent solution, it would have pushed me more in the direction of the N-Sats, which do have built in fixings for a wall bracket, along the lines of my current M1's...

Mine will be mostly used as 'rears' also, plus a fair bit of 5.1 audio, but as long as there's no drastic audio compromise, I'll be happier to have them tucked up on the walls....

Sorry to hear about the 'wrong finish', hassle ! I'm going to go for a custom white finish on the whole lot, so they better get that right...!ÿ

A

Anonymous

ooooo, they should look very minimal and swish. Post some pics when you are done mate!

Sitting here listening to the 1's now whilst doing some work from home.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Just to add my own experience, I found the Neat Motive 2's way too fast for my liking. They were on the end of Naim electronics when I heard them and playing Parade by Prince was like the speed had been selected at 45 rpm instead of 33 rpm !

Replacing the Neat's with PMC speakers solved the problem so I dont think it was the electronics.

Anyway, them seem to get blanket good reviews so they must be doing something right. I couldnt listen to them at all however.

I thought the Neat Motive 3's were better but still nowhere near something like PMC speakers.

Regardless, I would certainly listen before you buy. Like me, you may find they are not for you.

A

Anonymous

@ Gander - Will do mate. It won't be until the end of the year, saving my green backs and waiting to be paid on a current job, plus still deciding on which exact black and green boxes to go with it all.....

@andy444 - Interesting to read your findings. I will of course check it all out with my own ears, although home demo is tricky as I'm out in the tropics, so it's still something of a gamble. I think it will come down to the Neat set up, Naim's N-system, and the Guru QM10's possibly (although Naim have hacked me off by refusing a custom finish)...I don't think I'll mind fast (although I've never heard 'too fast'), it's bright & light that I want to avoid....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts