Nearly ready to choose a loudspeaker, suggestions please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My kit is as in my sig, i am looking and about to start demos of loudspeakers, can anyone fire any suggestions my way, willing to spend upto 750 pounds.

Only concern is that they must not be fussy as may have to be positioned close to back walls..

My first speaker i want to demo is the..

FOCAL CHORUS 714V.

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/site/scripts/product_browse.php?product_id=4734

Any more speakers i should be keeping my ears peeled for ?

FIRE AWAY....thanks,dave

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
If your going to listen to Focal you might go listening to something that will be different to have an idea on what sound your after (if your still not sure), try Dynaudio and Spendor.

A

Anonymous

Unfussy, good close to back walls - must be a sealed box design then RD.

Please demo the Focals at home if that's the case - experience tells that they can be quite fussy on positioning to get the best from them.

Standmount or floorstanders btw?

A

Anonymous

Again a bit out of budget but take a look at the monitor audio range avaliable from Musicraft's Rick. I would definitely give them a look once before making your choice. I was in the same boat as yourself recently then I saw and read about the Monitor Audio speakers. Do definitely take a look as I'm sure they'll do wonders for your existing system

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave: My kit is as in my sig, i am looking and about to start demos of loudspeakers, can anyone fire any suggestions my way, willing to spend upto 750 pounds.

Only concern is that they must not be fussy as may have to be positioned close to back walls..

My first speaker i want to demo is the..

FOCAL CHORUS 714V.

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/site/scripts/product_browse.php?product_id=4734

Any more speakers i should be keeping my ears peeled for ? The Monitor Audio's are rear ported and produce quite a bit of bass, so are unsuited to sitting close to a wall, unless it's partition wall which will help soak up some of the bass, but even then, the bungs will probably have to be used. Ideally, bungs should be avoided. You'll have the same problem with Dynaudio and B&W, so these probably won't be making the shortlist.

The Rega RS3 or RS5, and possibly the Tannoy DC4T Signature's are about the best shortlist I can come up with, even from the range of speakers that we keep. I think you'll need to look at the second hand market, or think about standmount speakers, as there will be far more choice, and some perfect candidates..

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:The Rega RS3 or RS5, and possibly the Tannoy DC4T Signature's are about the best shortlist I can come up with, even from the range of speakers that we keep. I think you'll need to look at the second hand market, or think about standmount speakers, as there will be far more choice, and some perfect candidates..

I would second the Rega RS3 suggestion, except that the OP has an Audiolab 8000s and 8000P so I assume he will want to bi-amp. The Rega RS range all have single sets of connections.

A

Anonymous

thanks for comments, they have to be floorstanders and i would like to bi amp them.

difficult to find a speaker that is front ported only and i like...other than the focal,which i cant bi amp anyway

A

Anonymous

if i went down the standmount road, any ideas there?, bearing in mind, my cd player and amps???

maybe a bookshelf focal can be picked up for 300 or so

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I know I own a pair but Ruark Crusader IIs are front ported and bi-wirable. You would have to look for a second hand pair with your budget.

A

Anonymous

£750 on the used market will get you really good speakers ....

A

Anonymous

Rogers LS3/5A ... ebay item 220510642370 ... £699 on a buy it now

need to be placed approx 1-2 feet away from the back wall .... if you have the space, these are good IMHO

and in a few years time when you want to upgrade speakers, you may double your money on these

A

Anonymous

i would like to buy a new pair and let my budjet punch me on the chin.

i really like the look of the focal chorus 714v, anyone?

other closed cab speakers,floorstanders?

maybe regas but will struggle to find a dealer near preston,lancs

A

Anonymous

dont like the rogers, they wouldnt look right in my living room!!! lol

dave

A

Anonymous

reggaedave:

dont like the rogers, they wouldnt look right in my living room!!! lol

dave

no probs ... they are old ..(but sound good)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Pair of decent Ruark Broadswords here for £199. (Were £249 yesterday)

Sealed cabinets, decent size. Wood looks nice. Superb reputation and reviews. (Used to be about £900 back in the '90s)

Come with stands too. Can be bi-wired/bi-amped.

I almost went for them on Wednesday.

A

Anonymous

They are nice, but my room wont suit a pair of standmounts really. My living room has a pair of double french doors that lead into a big dining room, and my new speakers will sit on either side of the doors, facing into my living room area, so want standmounts as think they will look better,less obvious and be sturdier.

Dont get me started that ive already got a pair of cracking stands thats another story!!! lol

Almost bought a pair of rega r3s a bit ago, the older model. for 350, cant belive i didnt get them.

New models are about 650 ish now but still a contender,no thoughts on my focal suggestion?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave:
Almost bought a pair of rega r3s a bit ago, the older model. for 350, cant belive i didnt get them.

New models are about 650 ish now but still a contender,no thoughts on my focal suggestion?

Rega R3's also cannot be bi-wired.

I have only heard two pairs of Focal floorstanders (714 and 716) and can't say I like them at all.

A

Anonymous

a few pounds over your budget ... but check these Spendor S5e from sevenoaks ... ebay item 180435203157 ... £799 on buy it now (RRP = £1350) and has a 5 year warranty

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts