NAS or a Network Hard Drive?

idc

I am looking for a hard drive that can store my apple lossless music files, be plugged into the router and then the itunes on my laptop can access the files wirelessly for onward transmission by usb cable to my DAC. But I don't understand if I need a NAS such as the Buffalo LinkStation Live or if I could save £40 odd and get the Buffalo Drivestation 2 Share which appears to be a network hard drive as opposed to a NAS.

Any help much appreciated thanks.

idc

A

Anonymous

NAS is just Network Attached Storage, they are both the same type of device. Its just the LinkStation has some extra features like a BitTorrent client built-in so you can set it up to download movies and tv shows automatically - if that BitTorrent thing doesn't make sense to you then its not a feature you need probably. Either will do fine for what you need, but if I may I'd suggest looking at the D-Link DNS-323 or 321 as I've found it to be a much better network attached storage device.

First off, I should say that I have lots of these devices plugged into my network not only for my music/movies but also because I'm a photographer so need lots of space. The advantage of the D-Link type device is that it is way faster than any Network drive I have used or have including my Buffalo and Lacie network drives and that can really make a difference when you're copying lots of data across the network. Secondly, the D-Link is an empty box with room for up to 2 hard drives so you can put whatever size drive you want in there. I'd suggest buying it with one 1TB drive to begin with. The other great feature is that if you buy 2 of the same size drives and put them both in there it has RAID abilities, and in case that doesn't mean anything to you just think of it as automatic backup. It constantly keeps the exact same data on both drives so that if one fails, you can just replace it with a new one and you haven't lost any data which can be important if you're spending a lot of time digitizing your music and movies. It is a little more expensive than the ones you're looking at initially, but I really wish I'd just bought it first before buying the single network drives with hard dives already installed such as the ones you're looking at. Don't worry if you're not a computer person, you simply slide the hard drive into the box, it is very easy to do. Link to UK amazon site below if interested.

If you have your heart set on the Buffalo drives, either will do to be honest. It can be easier if you look for a device that has UPnP media server support as iTunes for instance will automatically find all the music on the network drive for you. The D-Link does have it and the Buffalo LinkStation specifically says it too has it, although the DriveStation does not mention it. I know I've thrown a lot of info out there, especially if you're not that into computers and you just wanted somebody to say get this drive model.

If that's what you're looking for, I'd buy the D-Link and add one of the 1TB hard drives Amazon has links to on the same page. If that doesn't appeal to you, I'd go for the LinkStation since it too specifically mentions iTunes media server and may be easier for someone not into tech to have the drive find the songs for them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-Bay-Network-Storage-Enclosure/dp/B000GK8LVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242356365&sr=1-1

John Duncan

mcd's right in that NAS and Network drives are really the same thing, but 'NAS' in hifi terms has come to mean (erroneously) something that has a processor built in and can act as a server running a music client like Squeezecentre.

If you're using iTunes, however, I'd be wary of buying something that says 'iTunes server installed', since I've yet to see of one that actually acts like a server - normally they just serve up a shared library which other computers can access, and it's a bit useless.

I use my network drive attached to the router only for storage - it's my Mac that acts like a server - I can do this because my Mac's on from 8am-midnight.......

A

Anonymous

any comments on the relative quietness of these products. A lot of locally attached drives like the WD passports are fanless and rely on the metal casing to dissipate heat.

I'm trying to figure out do I get local USB/Firewire drives and wake up my spare powerbook when I want music. Or do I get a network drive like the lacie 2big or the ones mentioned above.

Keen on easy backup (so RAID is tempting) and quietness.

thanks

idc

Thanks for the replies mcd and JD. The winner is the Buffalo Drivestation 2 Share. It is pretty cheap at £89 from Amazon at the moment. It has simple features which cover exactly what I want it to do. All I need is it to act as a wireless hard drive to store music files whilst the laptop has itunes on it (I presume thats what you mean by 'it's my Mac that acts like the server'). It also looks good and is tall and thin so it will fit in next to the router in the hall. Buffalo also tends to do well with customer feedback on Amazon. It does not get a very good write up in PC Pro, but that appears to be down to the lack of features and its relative cost.

John Duncan

idc:All I need is it to act as a wireless hard drive to store music files whilst the laptop has itunes on it (I presume thats what you mean by 'it's my Mac that acts like the server')

Yup, that's what I meant - that's my exact setup too.

idc

JohnDuncan:idc:All I need is it to act as a wireless hard drive to store music files whilst the laptop has itunes on it (I presume thats what you mean by 'it's my Mac that acts like the server') Yup, that's what I meant - that's my exact setup too.

Well, if its good enough for you.....thanks again.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:mcd's right in that NAS and Network drives are really the same thing, but 'NAS' in hifi terms has come to mean (erroneously) something that has a processor built in and can act as a server running a music client like Squeezecentre. If you're using iTunes, however, I'd be wary of buying something that says 'iTunes server installed', since I've yet to see of one that actually acts like a server - normally they just serve up a shared library which other computers can access, and it's a bit useless. I use my network drive attached to the router only for storage - it's my Mac that acts like a server - I can do this because my Mac's on from 8am-midnight.......

Sorry to bump this but saw it and felt the need to ask, what do you mean by "erroneously"? Isnt it true that one has a ram, processor hdd (natch) and even operatng system and the other doesnt?

A

Anonymous

al7478:

Sorry to bump this but saw it and felt the need to ask, what do you mean by "erroneously"? Isnt it true that one has a ram, processor hdd (natch) and even operatng system and the other doesnt?
They all have a processor, RAM and embedded software (OS). Just to varying degrees of specification or complexity. Any intelligent device, even your TV, has a processor and some form of volatile and sometimes non-volatile storage.
'Network drive' is just slang really for a connected storage device, NAS refers more to the technical architecture aspect of how the system is implemented. (Basically that the drives are accessed by an independent network client and data is transmitted over the network using a file protocol such as samba or nfs)

idc

My simplistic view is that a network hard drive needs a PC to be on to work it, but a NAS can be worked by something else such as a media streaming device or some iphones. I think.

A

Anonymous

I'm gonna dig this one up again!

Quick review idc - did your purchase work well in the end?

I currently have all of my music files on a USB powered Western Digital hard drive. It's small and portable but a pain when i move my laptop around the house and I'd like to get shot of it.

I basically just want a very simple hard drive that I can connect to my router by ethernet cable. My laptop runs I Tunes and is on when I'm in streaming music to three different airport express units around the house.

Does anyone know if I went down the networked hard drive route and moved my files to that would my access to them be slowed down in comparison to them being on the usb powered hard drive connected directly to the laptop?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I can only offer my viewpoint from recent experiences with Netgear's Readynas Duo.

My music is now all stored on the Readynas which is wired into my router and accessed wirelessly by other devices. iTunes generally doesnt slow down (though for others having issues I had to turn on Jumbo Frames and turn of DLNA) thought it is ever so slightly slower accessing music located elsewhere wirelessly rather than locally on the laptops harddrive.

What I have found though is that syncing can take a fair amount of time. It takes about 20-30 minutes to sync my iPhone. Not everyone has these issues but I have read that some with the Readynas have had 7 or 8 hour sync times.

With a simpler system like yours there should be less to complicate matters and Id assume it will function fine as long as you consolodate your library via the iTunes option and point it in the direction of the networked hard drive.

idc

mrmrj:I'm gonna dig this one up again! Quick review idc - did your purchase work well in the end? I currently have all of my music files on a USB powered Western Digital hard drive. It's small and portable but a pain when i move my laptop around the house and I'd like to get shot of it. I basically just want a very simple hard drive that I can connect to my router by ethernet cable. My laptop runs I Tunes and is on when I'm in streaming music to three different airport express units around the house. Does anyone know if I went down the networked hard drive route and moved my files to that would my access to them be slowed down in comparison to them being on the usb powered hard drive connected directly to the laptop? Thanks

Just found this again mrmr. I spent my money on other stuff instead. I was sent the wrong sized network hard drive and it took ages to get my money back from the company Avides who trade through Amazon. By then I was well down the Spotify route for sourcing music instead.

I can answer your question for certain, but what you suggest appears to work for JD (see his post above) and for the brief time I had the Buffalo it streamed fine to my laptop, just as Spotify does now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts