NAS connected to Cambridge Audio 751

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

Has anyone got any experience of connecting a NAS drive to Cambridge Audio 751 BD player to play back 24/96 24/192 flac files. Does the NAS have to be anything specific in specs, or as long as it has a Upnp/DNLA server on and the 751 can connect and browse to the NAS then it should play these hi res files correctly.

They, NAS driives, seem to be so laden with features but do i really need all this. Advice would be greatly appreciated

John Duncan

Yes, I've had it conected to a UPnP server on my Mac and seems to work fine (though I can't swear they were hi res). The interface is a bit clunky (and there's no control app), but that may not matter to you. I did find it somewhat easier to navigate just folders on a network share, but then you lose some of the niceness of server playlist management etc. YMMV.

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Cheers John

Ive played flac files from a USB stick directly into the player, and presumed maybe nievley that the CA751 would see the NAS drive as the same just on the network, and browse to it in the same way from the 751.

Are there other options then, however i dont really want to have my pc running in order to play music

John Duncan

Well it kind of will, provided the NAS is setup as being accessible as a network drive. Do you already have a NAS, or are you looking to set one up? Some 'network drives' can't really act as a proper NAS music server (as I found out some time ago), so anxious to see first how far down the line you are.

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
No yet, was thinking of the Synology DS212J, mainly because it seems to be a common unit. I need something with 2 bays as i want to run mirror drives.

Basically all i want to do is put it on my home network so my pc and CA751 can see it. Download hi res music from the net via pc and store it on the NAS. Then browse the NAS from the CA751 for playback. Im not really interested in all the other functions on the NAS

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Cheers John for your help on this, think i will go ahead and give it a try.

I know ive already taken much of your time but are you able to say why you need a Upnp/DNLA server to play flac files. After all if i can plug a USB stick into the player, why doesn't it do this across a network. Apologies if thats a dumb question :doh:

John Duncan

It does, as far as I can remember (but I don't use it like that and I may be confusing it with the stream magic - I'll check :)). Advantage of a UPnP server is usually playlist management on the server and sometimes transcoding on the fly for non-supported file formats.

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah i think i get what you mean.

Im looking at its simplest form, putting albums in named folders so i can browse to them from the 751, which may get a bit awkward to manage over time as i add moreand more to the NAS drive. Where as by using a Upnp media server this allows greater control of how the music is stored and more importantly how id see it from the 751.

Hopefully ive got that right

John Duncan

Yes, pretty much. Let me fire mine up today and try to compare the two methods to try to give you a better impression of the two - as I said, I have a streamer to do that for me so don't really use it like that; might take a while to get working :-D

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
From experience, you need to keep your navigation as simple as possible - folders/playlists, as the 751 does time quite a while to scroll through long itunes lists etc. But the dacs in it are superb!

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dandy

Yes ive noticed that and ive only a few albums on a large usb stick and it takes a fair amount of time to scroll through it all, which is starting to be a concern for the future.

John

Ive just had a look at the CA StreamMagic 6 and that looks like a fantastic unit,. Additionally the iPad ap looks like a great solution to over come the above issue Dandy has just mentioned. How does the sound of the CA 751 and CA StreamMagic 6 compare. Looks like they use the same DAC's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts