NAS advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I had SBT into Rega DAC and synology NAS running SBServer. One day got home and connected the NAS through a USB cable strait into rega DAC USB input, didn't quite believe in my ears...! The sound improvement was increadible, I've read some where that USB input in Rega DAC is a complitly different circuit that coax and optical.

since that day SBT was storage and I use DS Audio App in ipad to control the music in the NAS, at the begining didn't had gapless playback, but Synology is always updating all the apps and gapless playback is now a reality. Is important to have software support all the time, yes cheaper NAS are aviable in the market, but if you are not a computer geek (l'm not) all the suport is much welcome.

Well at this moment i do want to step up from rega DAC but didn't made my mind if it is going to be a streamer or a external DAC ( thats how reliable synology software is).

:cheers:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Forgive me if I am wrong, but cant' a NAS be plugged into the router (with ethernet and/or Homeplugs) along with the M-CR610 too?

Is there any need for any of it to rely on wireless?

I didn't realise the NAS had to be cabled directly to the M-CR610. (Isn't that what 'Network Accessible' is all about?)

If that is correct...

...then ethernet/Homeplugs from M-CR610 -> router and etthernet only from NAS -> router.

matthewpiano

Hi Chebby. The 610 is quite happy operating wirelessly and needs to as my router is in another room, necessitated by the position of the master socket.

I will be plugging the NAS into the router by ethernet as that does not need to be in the same room as the 610.

michael hoy

If you have any old computer you could use vortexbox (free software) it has squeezebox built in. It will also rip your CD's.

I use one of the HP Proliant servers previously mentioned running windows home server (£34.00).

Add a switch as suggested into the gigabit port on the router, I have the BT Hub 4 as well. Then string anything else of the switch, this is the recommended way of doing it by Cyrus.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Watch out for fan noise / power consumption if you are contemplating having your server/NAS running 24/7 or for significant amounts of time. That influenced my choice of server/NAS ...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
tino said:
Watch out for fan noise / power consumption if you are contemplating having your server/NAS running 24/7 or for significant amounts of time. That influenced my choice of server/NAS ...

Yes thats a good point, how noisy are these NAS fans? My computer has SSD and runs very quietly not sure how NAS would compare?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
tino said:

Yes thats a good point, how noisy are these NAS fans? My computer has SSD and runs very quietly not sure how NAS would compare?

I think the smaller servers are quite good on fan noise at least when new - almost background noise level. This may not be an issue if located in a different room.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
michael hoy said:
If you have any old computer you could use vortexbox (free software) it has squeezebox built in. It will also rip your CD's.

I use one of the HP Proliant servers previously mentioned running windows home server (£34.00).

Add a switch as suggested into the gigabit port on the router, I have the BT Hub 4 as well. Then string anything else of the switch, this is the recommended way of doing it by Cyrus.

This is an excellent idea for those who want to keep it simple.

Complete hardware solutions can be ordered that include disc player, software, hard drive, connections to an external drive etc, etc.

Prices from about £300, easy to set up, just play a disc and the Vortexbox software will rip to your format of choice, while also producing another rip for backup or as a lossy file for ipod etc. Once set up it is all automatic.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
michael hoy said:

Complete hardware solutions can be ordered that include disc player, software, hard drive, connections to an external drive etc, etc.

Prices from about £300, easy to set up, just play a disc and the Vortexbox software will rip to your format of choice, while also producing another rip for backup or as a lossy file for ipod etc. Once set up it is all automatic.

but if you add a 2tb or a 3 tb HD the price is almost the same as a synology DS213J with a 3tb HD and now you can find some price reductions that the DS214J came out... And later add a second HD for back up.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
davedotco said:
michael hoy said:

but if you add a 2tb or a 3 tb HD the price is almost the same as a synology DS213J with a 3tb HD and now you can find some price reductions that the DS214J came out... And later add a second HD for back up.

Agreed though I was suggesting a simple solution for those who do not want to get involved in setting up a NAS on a network.

The Vortexbox hardware solutions are essentially plug and play and include a CD drive. Just insert a disc and press a button, simple and elegant solution that anyone can use.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
davedotco said:
michael hoy said:

Agreed though I was suggesting a simple solution for those who do not want to get involved in setting up a NAS on a network.

The Vortexbox hardware solutions are essentially plug and play and include a CD drive. Just insert a disc and press a button, simple and elegant solution that anyone can use.

and it is a very good solution, i was only making a remak regarding the price...

:cheers:

Magic 99

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Fan noise from all but the fanless solutions is something to consider, but you can lose a NAS anywhere you like and the noise isn't that great. However, some locations will make that noise more or less apparent and it is the same argument as that for speaker placement, so if anyone IS finding a Nas noisy, don't put it in a corner :)

There are some good and cheap CAT 5E/Cat 6 ethernet leads online which will let you go ten or twenty metres away if you need it. A decently performing network is a thing of beauty, so one more suggestion is to give your NAS and also (if ethernet connected) your streamer a dedicated, fixed IP which will save much faffing around when the network has a hissy fit.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Magic 99 said:
Fan noise from all but the fanless solutions is something to consider, but you can lose a NAS anywhere you like and the noise isn't that great. However, some locations will make that noise more or less apparent and it is the same argument as that for speaker placement, so if anyone IS finding a Nas noisy, don't put it in a corner :)

There are some good and cheap CAT 5E/Cat 6 ethernet leads online which will let you go ten or twenty metres away if you need it. A decently performing network is a thing of beauty, so one more suggestion is to give your NAS and also (if ethernet connected) your streamer a dedicated, fixed IP which will save much faffing around when the network has a hissy fit.

Sorry, but my NAS sits 3 mts from me and i don't ear the fan! Like i've said, but i can ear the HD working though, but only if the TV or music are off. And that only happens when i get home, because 1 min later the music is ON... ;)

matthewpiano

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Magic 99 said:

Sorry, but my NAS sits 3 mts from me and i don't ear the fan! Like i've said, but i can ear the HD working though, but only if the TV or music are off. And that only happens when i get home, because 1 min later the music is ON... ;)

Glad I'm not the only person who reaches straight for the hi-fi after a long day at work!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Glad I'm not the only person who reaches straight for the hi-fi after a long day at work!

Nope, you are not alone. I tend to come in, have a brew, read the Manchester Evening News, whilst listening to Radio Paradise for a few minutes or so.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Magic 99 said:

goes on as soon as through the door, only goes off when go to bed, only gap would be if we watch tv, but we average less than an hour a day of that.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
matthewpiano said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Magic 99 said:

goes on as soon as through the door, only goes off when go to bed, only gap would be if we watch tv, but we average less than an hour a day of that.

We are not alone...! :grin:

me and my wife, we do not watch TV, only a movie or two per week and as soon the movie ends music goes on again.

I listen to news in the car that way i keep up whats goes on in the world!

matthewpiano

Magic 99 said:
"Recommend an external HDD backup as well Matthew. Just in case...! Always, always have a backup."

Give that man a biscuit! RAID is all very well, but for me anyway, I think a better bet for a music library is to back it up to a seperate disk in another location.

That Gigabit port would have the switch plugged into it where it acts just like a mains extension lead, giving you additional gigabit ports to play with.

If you are going to go a ripping, I take it that you have some decent software to do it for you. If not, I can heartily recommend dbpoweramp. There will be a lot of users on here that might agree with that one. Ripping a library is a Pain in the butt, so the best plan is to do it once and rip to the highest level that you can. Powermp won't let you down!

Thanks for the dbpoweramp recommendation. Have changed from EAC and it is so easy and good!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts