NAS advice

matthewpiano

I need to draw on the superior knowledge of all things network that many have. I am aiming to buy a suitable NAS so that instead of my computer acting as a server for the network streaming features of the Marantz, a dedicated hard drive can fulfil the job. I'm not sure what to get but the essential info is as follows.

I'll be storing and streaming FLAC files and, ideally, I want to be able to use Foobar2000 as the server software (can it be used on a NAS?) as I've found it to work well. I don't want to (actually, can't) spend a fortune, but I want something which is good enough to avoid buffering problems.

My router is a BT Homehub 4.

Any advice gratefully received!

manicm

Try one of the Western Digital My Cloud devices - they should be reasonably priced. Also on the server side, if Foobar doesn't work the free Minimserver is very well regarded. If it matters to anybody, it also does transcoding on the fly e.g. from FLAC to WAV.

Magic 99

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Look at the Zyxel NSA325, which has Squeezebox Server built in to handle the DLNA server bit.. It works a treat with the Marantz and bloody fast too. Mine runs with a 3TB WD RED Hard Drive but it is very unpicky with what you may choose to put in it.. I use Bubble UPNP with my Android Tablet to control the whole shooting match, in preference to the pretty average Marantz App.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I use a QNAP which so far has worked fine.

+1 for the minimserv server, I've just upgraded to the latest version & it is excellent.

Also use Assett on my Mac which is good, but no version for a NAS yet that I am aware of.

TBH if I could start all over again I would give serious consideration to a Mac mini with a large external drive. Just leave it on all the time and run it headless. Much more powerful than a NAS & offers greater flexibilty. More expensive though.

Magic 99

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Thinking further on your post, you mention buffering and if that is currently a problem, is more likely to be an issue on your network than to do directly with Nas, etc. Now, I don't know the Homehub 4, but wonder if it is like the home hub 3 and only has one gigabit socket at the back? If it does, a useful way of upping the throughput, is to buy a network "switch" This will plug into that one gigabit port on the router, but give you usually, five or eight gigabit ports to fill up with junk. These switches are cheap and cheerful but can make a worthwhile difference if there is lag on the network. If you use Cat 5E or Cat 6 ethernet cable too, you will make a very affordable upgrade to your whole network. I get aroud 45 50MB/Sec from my NSA 325, so can stream independently to my three systems without any problem at all. What I now need, is five ears.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi ... I have one of these ... an Excito B3 ... which you can get for 168 Euro with an included 1TB disk drive. It is small, discrete, fanless and very easy to set up and administer. It is a slightly older device but still very good and extremely well supported. Has DLNA, DAAP, Squeezebox server. You can use it with Linn Kinsky or a PC, iDevice or Android phone.

If you want to run Foobar2K as a uPnP server you may be better running it on a small laptop which is what I also do.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi MP

Synology do not suport foobar2000 and i doubt that any NAS will do...

But with Synology you have a very friendly user software. With quick start guide tell you what to do every step on the way, the only thing that doesn't do is connect the cables. ;)

DS Audio app play bit perfect (24/192) and gapless and with a android or ios gadget you can control it in the range of you wi fi net work.

the only down side is that you still need a computer to rip your Cds into flac files...

Paul.

I got one of these for Christmas, in the process of putting freenas on it. It's built like a tank, bargain at this price :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/430446-hp-proliant-g7-n54l-2-2ghz-microserver-ebuyer-704941-421

matthewpiano

Thanks for all the help so far. Bit of a jungle for me as I've not really looked into it all before now, but I am very ready to rip as much of my collection as possible into FLAC and access it through the Marantz. That way, the CDs can be packed away and I've got more space for my growing vinyl collection.

I've checked the router and yes, it only has one Gigabit port, currently unused because I'm running everything wirelessly, so is this the port a NAS should be plugged into? I have to connect the Marantz wirelessly as the router is in another room.

Paul - Unfortunately your link doesn't work for me. Which product is it?

Paul.

Its a HP N54L Microserver, its £129 after cashback for a 4 bay server. Its a lot more powerful than a Nas, you can put prettymuch anything on it. I even found a tutorial for putting Synology OS on it :)

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I have a Homehub 4 and agree a Netgear prosafe switch is the best bet.Like this. I have the 16 port version but if 5 is enough then this is your baby.

Connect this to the gigabit port on the hub then you are away.It's not a big investment really.

As for the NAS I'll leave that to foobar experts.

Magic 99

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Matthew, go ahead and plug any NAS into that gigabit port, but I assume that your PC is Wifi? According to the confusions that came with my MCR510 (and I therefore assume the same with your 610) that if you are running FLACs everywhere that it could splutter and fart a little, so a wired connection would be preferred. If this were to happen for you (unlikely I think, but...) then some of the cheap powerline adapters would kick that one into touch and these would use another of your precious router ports. In short, don't worrry, because there is an answer for all or any problems that you might bump into.

I am a bit of a cynic when it comes to routers and a lot of consumer routers have the money spent on internet connections, then the wi fi bit and a distant last, running things efficiently through the LAN. Anything I can do to help, you know where to find me.

matthewpiano

Ravey Gravey Davy said:
I have a Homehub 4 and agree a Netgear prosafe switch is the best bet.Like this. I have the 16 port version but if 5 is enough then this is your baby.

Connect this to the gigabit port on the hub then you are away.It's not a big investment really.

Thanks RGD. What I don't understand is why I would need a switch when I'm not currently using the Gigabit port for anything. I'd be grateful if you could enlighten me! :)

matthewpiano

Magic 99 said:
Matthew, go ahead and plug any NAS into that gigabit port, but I assume that your PC is Wifi? According to the confusions that came with my MCR510 (and I therefore assume the same with your 610) that if you are running FLACs everywhere that it could splutter and fart a little, so a wired connection would be preferred. If this were to happen for you (unlikely I think, but...) then some of the cheap powerline adapters would kick that one into touch and these would use another of your precious router ports. In short, don't worrry, because there is an answer for all or any problems that you might bump into.

I am a bit of a cynic when it comes to routers and a lot of consumer routers have the money spent on internet connections, then the wi fi bit and a distant last, running things efficiently through the LAN. Anything I can do to help, you know where to find me.

Thanks! Your help is greatly appreciated. Yes, the PC is wifi, so I'll bear that in mind.

T

the record spot

Recommend an external HDD backup as well Matthew. Just in case...! Always, always have a backup.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Ravey Gravey Davy said:

Thanks RGD. What I don't understand is why I would need a switch when I'm not currently using the Gigabit port for anything. I'd be grateful if you could enlighten me! :)

Once you have a NAS you will possibly want to put a lot more on there than music. It depends on how much you have hardwired and how many ports you are using on your homehub(and where it is situated).I may be jumping the gun but it is useful to have (TV films etc) but maybe you don't need it now. Carry on.

Magic 99

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
"Recommend an external HDD backup as well Matthew. Just in case...! Always, always have a backup."

Give that man a biscuit! RAID is all very well, but for me anyway, I think a better bet for a music library is to back it up to a seperate disk in another location.

That Gigabit port would have the switch plugged into it where it acts just like a mains extension lead, giving you additional gigabit ports to play with.

If you are going to go a ripping, I take it that you have some decent software to do it for you. If not, I can heartily recommend dbpoweramp. There will be a lot of users on here that might agree with that one. Ripping a library is a Pain in the butt, so the best plan is to do it once and rip to the highest level that you can. Powermp won't let you down!

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
the record spot said:
Recommend an external HDD backup as well Matthew. Just in case...! Always, always have a backup.

Good advice RS. I'd hate to spend all that time ripping CDs to FLAC (and I have approx. 3,000 discs) only to lose the files if it all goes wrong.

Exactly. You'll get a 2TB WD Elements for the price I paid for 1TB. About £70. Good insurance IMO.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a WD 3TB MYBookLive. I don't use it for music but I am impressed with it as a NAS device. Really "plug and play", couldn't be simpler. The "My Cloud" software works fine and it's great being able to access files from anywhere on the net.

I got mine from the BT Shop when they were doing a special offer. These things are really cheap now!

Chris

daveh75

matthewpiano said:
Ravey Gravey Davy said:

A gigabit switch makes sense for future proofing, if you intend to add other (hardwired) Gbit capable devices but as you appear to be mainly using WiFi you aren't going to benefit from it.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
the record spot said:

Good advice RS. I'd hate to spend all that time ripping CDs to FLAC (and I have approx. 3,000 discs) only to lose the files if it all goes wrong.

you better start ripping those CDs... ;)

daveh75

matthewpiano said:
the record spot said:

3-2-1.

3 copies, stored on 2 different mediums and 1 offsite

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
A bit of a different approach could be iTunes Match. It would depend on your equipment though.

Id been pondering on a NAS for ages, and even posted threads on here. But I decided I didn't want another device on my desktop.

Rip all your CDs to iTunes, iTunes will match your library with 256 versions. Any it hasn't got it will upload copy from your library. 3000 CDs is a heck of a project. Also the first time you run match with that many may well take a couple of days.

No capital outlay and only £21.99 pa.

Probably not not what you're after but thought I'd suggest it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts