Nakamichi CD OM1 issue

andyh2451

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
I recently bought an old Nakamichi player which is now acting up.
I like its musicality through my Naim amp so I would like to fix it if economically viable.
9 times out of 10 it will seek, find and play track 1
Sometimes it won't play and works hard, whirring and clicking away until it decides to play a random
track, presumably as a way of placating me in the hope I will forgive its downfalls.
As I said I like its musicality presumably through the Burr Brown DAC so I would like to keep it
I don't want to go down the road of buying a new unit which has any other function other than playing CDs
Can it be fixed?

insider9

I recently bought an old Nakamichi player which is now acting up.
I like its musicality through my Naim amp so I would like to fix it if economically viable.
9 times out of 10 it will seek, find and play track 1
Sometimes it won't play and works hard, whirring and clicking away until it decides to play a random
track, presumably as a way of placating me in the hope I will forgive its downfalls.
As I said I like its musicality presumably through the Burr Brown DAC so I would like to keep it
I don't want to go down the road of buying a new unit which has any other function other than playing CDs
Can it be fixed?
I'd have a pro look at it. My 30 year old Denon (also Burr Brown chip, love it!) recently had a service and a belt change. The sonic difference has been remarkable. I loved it before but now I'm even more smitten.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Yes, if you're willing / able, nothing to lose by at least opening it up for a look Andy.
Given the symptom you've described, look at any runners that the laser assembly tracks along. People report that the white lubricating grease dries out.
It may have clogged up at one (or both) ends - which could explain the track 1 problem (track 1 is closest to disc centre).

If you get good access to the laser lens, give that a thorough clean too.
Needless to say, if you power it up while open, avoid looking directly into the laser beam.

Of course, as Al said, it may be that the laser itself is failing, but you never know.....

andyh2451

Feb 26, 2021
Visit site
Yes, if you're willing / able, nothing to lose by at least opening it up for a look Andy.
Given the symptom you've described, look at any runners that the laser assembly tracks along. People report that the white lubricating grease dries out.
It may have clogged up at one (or both) ends - which could explain the track 1 problem (track 1 is closest to disc centre).

If you get good access to the laser lens, give that a thorough clean too.
Needless to say, if you power it up while open, avoid looking directly into the laser beam.

Of course, as Al said, it may be that the laser itself is failing, but you never know.....
Unfortunately I’m not technically minded. Every time I take the cover of some tech gear I usually break something.
I need a pro to take a look. Anyone have any suggestions where I can ship it to an engineer in the Uk?

Gray

Unfortunately I’m not technically minded. Every time I take the cover of some tech gear I usually break something.
I need a pro to take a look. Anyone have any suggestions where I can ship it to an engineer in the Uk?
Much as you like it Andy, I'd be reluctant to ship it anywhere - more for the risks in transit, but also the added cost.
Say where you're located and someone might be reading this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts