Naim XS questions

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
hi to all!

while testing a friend's XS on my system i've got the following questions that need answers (please) :

1) how can i tell an XS-2 from an XS ? i remember having read it's about a new chassis, right ? (i mean no indication, marks oranything ON it?)

2) i have not got his remote (it's a test, after all, so i do not think i need it) but cannot see standby mode . is it remote controlled only or there is NO STANDBY at all, just On/off from behind ?

3) the power button on the back is a bit loose while OFF (i mean there is a 'distance" till its tack sound switching ON) while it is 100% firm when it's ON. is it normal ?

kind regards,

indi@.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You'll probably find the answer to 1) through google.

I can help you with 2). Naim amps do not have a standby mode, they're intended to be left on at all times.

Not really clear what you mean by 3).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
indietronic said:
3) the power button on the back is a bit loose while OFF (i mean there is a 'distance" till its tack sound switching ON) while it is 100% firm when it's ON. is it normal ?

The IEC mains socket is designed deliberately to be 'wobbly' (to help prevent mechanical vibration from entering the unit by de-coupling it).

I can't say I ever noticed the mains switch on my old Nait 5i-2 behaving as you described but maybe - on the Nait XS - that is supposed to be 'de-coupled' as well.

I'd check that one with Naim or a Naim dealer first.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The latest version has a 'two-tone' finish on the fascia. Middle section looks smooth and shiny and the outer bits are rougher...

http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-product-type/598

naitxs_front_3-4.jpg

The older (first) version had a uniform finish on the fascia...

Naim_NAIT_XS.gif

indietronic

May 21, 2008
Visit site
i mean that there when you put your finger on the power button WHEN OFF there is a "route" before the button itself eventually gets pressed (->to ON) . it is kind of "initial slack" or mechanical "lash" when button is set to OFF. i hope i cleared it out completely now. in case anyone knows if THIS is normal please let me know (especially my friend now looks pondering, hehe..)

so if it's meant to be left ON all times. what's the power consumption when just ON (but not playing) ? moreover is there NO problem with it being left ON -i.e. in case of an outage, supply break or anything???)

thank you for the answers, i checked it so i can say it is an XS-2.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
indietronic said:
...so if it's meant to be left ON all times. what's the power consumption when just ON (but not playing) ? moreover is there NO problem with it being left ON -i.e. in case of an outage, supply break or anything???)

I am not the best person to ask because I used to switch my old Naim system off overnight.

You need to hear from people who believe they hear the difference (when leaving their systems on 24x7).

cayorob

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Mine is the original XS and i'm pretty sure the only difference is the front facia, to bring it in line with the rest of the XS range.

Just checked my power switch and it seems as tight to turn it off as it does on. It never gets used though as i leave both CD and amp on 24/7, i just mute the amp.

I can't say i ever noticed an increase in my electricity bills if that helps.

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
cayorob said:
Mine is the original XS and i'm pretty sure the only difference is the front facia, to bring it in line with the rest of the XS range.

You are correct. The new facia has an annodised finish whereas the old one is painted. The electronics are identical. The change was made to provide an upgrade path to cosmetically similar units.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts