Naim with Dynaudio Focus 260. Unexpectedly good

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I have a Marantz pm lite amp, but wasn't satisfied. Still sharp edge and de highs too schrill and bright. I always thought Naim is bright. But the Marantz is bright! With the Naim it sounds incredibly well! Gone is the sharp edge and no longer brightness. Bad records sounded never so good! The marantz has deeper bass, but the naim is faster, more fun. And the treble so much better as the Marantz. Very surprising.

Other amp on my list are Roksan Caspian and MF m3i, but i think i've found my amp... :rockout:
Unfortunately expensive, but maybe i can find a good second one. A Naim XS for instance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If it was me, I would want to hear all the amps on my demo list, just to satisfy my curiosity and put any doubts to bed.

Glad you are heading in the right direction.

CnoEvil said:
If it was me, I would want to hear all the amps on my demo list, just to satisfy my curiosity and put any doubts to bed.

Glad you are heading in the right direction.

That's the worst part about system matching: The MF and/or Caspian could blow him away more than the Naim, yet they could be a disappointment. Fine margins.

peterpan said:
PP; how do you mean?

Clearly the Naim gets the ears twitching (in a nice way). You may find the Caspian could be little too brittle or sharpe, and the MF might be too warm, and destroys the musical enjoyment. But these are probables and maybes....

There's such a fine line between what is acceptable to your ears and fun. Sorry to mention again: It's this balance thing, the righ sound or synergy only you can decide.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Maybe the MF is the same as my marantz. Another dealer told me also try NAD. In his opinion also a good match with Dynaudio. In the past i've heard a MF m6i on Proac D18. I didn't like it. Too much forward sounding. Still think Naim, but can try a NAD for shure. But which NAD? WHF found the c375 not so good.

peterpan said:
Maybe the MF is the same as my marantz. Another dealer told me also try NAD. In his opinion also a good match with Dynaudio. In the past i've heard a MF m6i on Proac D18. I didn't like it. Too much forward sounding. Still think Naim, but can try a NAD for shure. But which NAD? WHF found the c375 not so good.

I've not heard the Nad with Dyns. Personally Nads, for my ears, are too bass heavy which throws the other frequencies out of kilter. I would say that MF and Roksan offer the best alternative, but that's my personal opinion.

Perhaps try Leema Elements. I've not heard the new range, but if it's anything like my Pulse it should sound mustard.

peterpan said:
A friend said don't forget the Rega elicit R. But isn't this a bright amp? And with my music, much metal and bad records?

I personally found when I demo'd the Rega with PMC 23 it didn't sound as I expected, given the price tag of the amp and speakers. Now whether that's because the synergy wasn't great or shop acoustics or, (IMHO) Rega work best with their own products. But the tonal qualities sounded similar to the Leema...

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
it's worth listening to a Densen as well if you can, but your Dynaudio's will need an amp with pin point timing and control. Dynaudio's principle of using large diameter voicecoils may have some benefits (bass weight/extension) but it ALWAYS comes at the expense of speed.

Plus it's worth remembering that tonal balance is only one piece of the puzzle: you can have a bright or warm tonal balance that is utterly captivating IF it is tightly controlled, and by the same token if there is a lack of control the bright will always equate to aggressive whereas warm will always come over as soft or dull long term.

Sadly many people (myself included years ago) constantly chased/changed equipment purely on the basis of tonal balance until my dealer demonstrated a number of systems that had timing and control regardless of their tonal balance.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I read good things about Cyrus amps. But isn't this also a very bright amp? Brighter than the Naim Xs2? Has anyone heard it with Dynaudio?

peterpan said:
I read good things about Cyrus amps. But isn't this also a very bright amp? Brighter than the Naim Xs2? Has anyone heard it with Dynaudio?

Having heard the Cyrus 8 (original) with Dyn 52 SE the combo was really good. Had the pleasure of the 8VS2 and 8XP with a multitude of speakers I wasn't so impressed. For my taste they are too bright, although combined with Dyns they sound the biz.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Till now the Naim sounded best. But maybe there are other amps with more power who sounded also very good with my Dynaudio's and music.

Another dealer advise the Unison Primo and Exposure 3010s. I hope i can hear this amps soon. In the past i've had a unison unico. Lovely with voices, but the highs are too bright.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Now here in Holland there is the Lyngdorf tdai 2170. Seems very interesting. But can hardly find a dealer. Has anyone heard it? Better than a Naim XS 2?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts