Naim sound vs. Cyrus sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Naim and Cyrus always seem to do pretty well in equipment reviews but I often see reference to the "Naim Sound" or the "Cyrus Sound" as well as comments such as "you either love it or hate it". My question is what does this actually mean and if they are really so different why do they both do so well in reviews? I would be interested to hear peoples opinion on this through their own experiences of auditioning various hi-fi combinations. Being a newbie the frequently quoted terms of "Pace, Rhythm and Timing" don't mean much to me so simpler english explanations would be appreciated. Of course I realise the only real way to answer this is to go and listen myself but I am still ineterested an the experience of others here.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

i had the same problem; at the end i took the Cyrus set. not because Naim was not good but because with the Curys setup i could extend the system in the future, by adding a power supply or upgrading from 1 to 2 or 4 smartpowers. So i listened at the set i could expand to and i loved the sound; i found there was more tranquility , yet very detailed and perfect timing in the music making more 'room' to enjoy the music itself. the speakers used make a big difference of course not sure if both brands go with the same speakers, maybe both being English they can power the same speakers.

At the i find both being very good but it comes down to personal preference. Listen as much as you want , use your own cd's the ones you know very good and different styles of music. i still enjoy every day from the one i bought.

I hope this helps a bit , i m not an expert on all the different types and setups. if you have some more questions about Cyrus you can always ask me.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for reply.

I did have one audition comparing Cyrus CD6s + 6Vs2 system with Naim CD5i + Nait5i system. Both driving Epos M12.2 speakers.

To me the sounds were quite different, both systems having advantages and disadvantages over the other.

The Cyrus setup seemed to have more high frequency definition and more clarity and separation between individual instruments/voices but at the same time sounded a slightly thin in the mid range and lacked a full sound.

The Naim setup on the other hand sounded slightly warmer with possibly less detailed high end separation between instruments/voices but presented a fuller musical mid range sound, arguably sounding more refined overall.

I think this is the difficulty with reviews comparing different systems, there is too much personal taste involved, they only way is to go an listen yourself. I am not sure it is possible to really say one is "better" than another when magazine group tests are run.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
WJDET, You are so right in your post above. Personal taste has a lot to do with it when you buying hifi. I don't know How can you put house sound on the brand now a day. I found most of Cyrus kits I listend to doesn't have a well balanced sound as you siad, a bit thin, although the CD8x was a lot better than the rest of their range. As for Naims I have to say that the High-end stuffs are totally awesome, if I can afford them I would buy the set tomorrow (£20K) but the budget gears is a bit agressive sounding, narrow soundstage and can be a little too much excitement come through, not bad by any mean i just prefer other brand's house sound.

A

Anonymous

Hi guadio,

I listened to a Cyrus CD8x and a Cyrus integrated amp (don't remember which one) using my Grado SR-325i headphones at my local audio store a month or so ago and was totally amazed at the amount of detail and space in the music - it was truly incredible, but I was so overwhelmed with the detail and space that I didn't really listen to the overall sound.

My current CD player, a decade or more old California Audio Labs Icon Mk II, and preamp/amp combo - Adcom GFP-555/Adcom GFA 535 is not sounding very good with my headphones these days. I also have some Magneplanar MG-III speakers that I love, but because of their size and placement issues I don't get to listen to very often any more.

So I am giving serious consideration to buying the Cyrus CD and integrate amp combination. I've read a few places on the internet where people have said the Cyrus equipment can sound thin and not very full. I love the detail and sense of space on the Cyrus, but if it can't reproduce bass like electric bass, thudding drums, and the strong bass line associate with rock music, I probably won't be very happy with it.

I listen to a lot of different music, but not much classical - mostly rock/pop/blues (Clapton, B.B. King), jazz (Al Dimeola - an amazing jazz/fusion guitarist, etc. My headphones are very good at reproducing bass on rock music and are very good at reproducing space in music and, on the Cyrus equipment, have marvelous highs.

How do you feel about the bass on your Cyrus equipment?
Do they give up bass in order to get such great detail, crisp highs,
and wonderful sense of space?

My local dealer also sells Naim, but I fear Naim is out of my price range. I can get a pretty good deal on some used Cyrus equipment (CD8x and 8vs integrated amp for around $2000 U.S. - Cyrus equipment is quite expensive over here, so $2000 U.S. is about half-price!).

Thanks,

Tim

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Iam totally biased here, Iam from North America as well and before i bought my Cyrus kit i did listen to Naim kit. I did settle on the Cyrus, the naim really has the grunt and doesn't have the thin sound, but neither does the Cyrus if you cable it right. I have a set of cardas golden cross speaker and golden reference interconnects and like most dealers, cyrus wins. Its not that its better, what ever that means it just has that sparkle, musical edge that most equipment some at the twice the cost cant manage. I think that's what it comes to, for the average Joe there at that level of affability maybe even more than you wanted to spend, but your getting some really hi fi that really never gets beat pound for pound

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Mike, I tend to agree with you on the quick demo Cyrus will win everytime but when you realised what Naims are all about then it will be a closer call.

PS The real Naim start from SuperNait or Nac202/Nap200 and that is when the fun begin.

A

Anonymous

I have been a naim convert for a couple of months now when I upgraded from an Arcam A75+ amp to ( after a bit of a windfall) a Naim SuperNait.

After auditioning quite a few different amps I settled for the SuperNait, one of the main reasons is that I am not a serial upgrader and this move is for the long term because of its 2 digital and 2 optical inputs to is superb onboard DAC it should be future proofed. Now after a few months it seems to get better every day and never ceases to surprise me as well as being very musical, and after all to me thats the whole point of HI FI.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bluetorric"] term because of its 2 digital and 2 optical inputs to is superb onboard DAC it should be future proofed.[/quote]

Mr. Blue, please tell me how you switch between build in DAC and analog in? I feed a digital signal with an optical cable from my sky box into superNait DAC input (lable4) and press all the buttons (
emotion-7.gif
) I couldn't get any sound!

thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi Mr T,

I do the same from my Humax freeview PVR which I use for radio, optical digital cable out from the Humax into the optical input in the SN

mine works fine but be aware that the DAC closes down when not in use, so it takes a short while while it cuts in, I thought the same as you at first but give it about 10 to 20 seconds and it will appear..............

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman your right, absolutely right its just the initial cost that is from being a little too much to way to much that gives the edge to Cyrus, and that upgrade path that I have fallen into. Where im at now with 6 boxes i could have the moon i-7 and there equinox CD player easily by now.

People should take your advise and run into that corner and think

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bluetorric"]I thought the same as you at first but give it about 10 to 20 seconds and it will appear..............
[/quote]

appear on which pre-input???

cd, tape, AV, Aux1, Aux2???? the manual is so bloody confusing too..... argggggggggg

thanks

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="bluetorric"]I thought the same as you at first but give it about 10 to 20 seconds and it will appear..............
[/quote]

appear on which pre-input???

cd, tape, AV, Aux1, Aux2???? the manual is so bloody confusing too..... argggggggggg

thanks

Hi again Mr T.

Mine works on tuner, but as I say give it plenty of time, failing that try each one in turn to see which one yours is set to..........
[/quote]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts