Naim/PMC sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just purchased the following:

Naim CD5X cd Player, NAC 122X Pre-Amplifier, NAP 150X Power Amplifier and a Flatcap 2 Power Supply.

This has been married to a pair of PMC GB1i speakers via Chord Company Carnival Silver Screen cable and Naim standard interconnects.

Having installed this equipment in my home environment, I am disappointed with the sound quality but can not understand why given the quality of the components.

I ask myself what is wrong as the sound on most CD's seems muffled? not revealing the crystal clarity I expected.

Having listened to the same system within demonstartion room surroundings, convinced the purchase was going to be a musical adventure, my journey seems to have come to a swift end!

What have I done wrong? I am wondering if it is the speaker cable?

A

Anonymous

A common error that literally everyone makes atleast once when setting up their system is regarding connecting the speakers to the amplifier. Please check all of the connections: Check if the polarity is correct, check the wire is secure at both ends and check you have the jumper bars or leads installed if you are not bi-wiring.

Then check the interconnects. Are they firmly secured and the right way around? Are they ripped or broken anywhere?

Then check the speakers. Is the tweeter functioning correctly on each speaker? Can you hear a very, very tiny bit of hiss when the volume is turned right up (and music off, of course!) from both the tweeter and the mid/bass driver?

Are the CDs you are using in good condition?

How big is your room it is being used in?

And finally, if this doesn't work, ring up your dealer (and/or Naim and PMC) and tell them about your situation.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I assume you bought the same connects used when you heard it sounding so good in the shop?

I am also assuming you bought the demo models. Good policy usually because (a) You already know everything works (b) you may get ex-dem discounts.

Otherwise - if everything is new from the box - I guess you will have to wait for everything to burn in/run in, especially speakers.

Find out what cable they used and get some.

A

Anonymous

suttonm - Should you post this same question on the Naim forum, you will get the same answer over and over - Allow it all to settle and run in, especially the Naim boxes. I'm a little surprised your Naim dealer hasn't forewarned you of the bedding in period....

You have a great system balance, a recommended one by Naim themselves, and indeed is often raved about by seasoned Naimees - I know of one guy who came down from 500 series kit to what you have and loves it as much...! ÿ

As an aside, I would also have a think over the Carnival SS. As good as it is, I'm not sure it's in balance with what you have...I use it, and it will be replaced when I upgrade everything in the new year. I'm sure you know of Naim's recommendations for NACA5, for various reasons. I'm not 100% a believer, but it's worth a try...Otherwise, I would look higher up in the Chord chain.

Relax for a bit, give it some time, and then see.....In the meantime, happy Xmas !ÿ

A

Anonymous

I had Naim 202/200/cdx2 with Spendor S6e and never find the naim muffled. I still remember my unit sound good even it is fresh from the box. Of course it does sound better as time goes by, beside i do not believe in using all Naim cabling. I am using Atlas Cable for my CDP and VDH cable for my speaker cable. I do have a pair of NACA5 but find it over price and over rated and make the low frequency sound bloated. If i was to choose again, i will not waste my cash on the Naca5 and there is tons of better cable out there rather then just sticking to the naim solution.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I didn't like Naim/PMC combo when I heard them (5i & 140). I am not sure why...may be Naim like to project live sound and PMC can be on the studio/cold side...may be!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
suttonm:
I have just purchased the following:

Naim CD5X cd Player, NAC 122X Pre-Amplifier, NAP 150X Power Amplifier and a Flatcap 2 Power Supply.

This has been married to a pair of PMC GB1i speakers via Chord Company Carnival Silver Screen cable and Naim standard interconnects.

Having installed this equipment in my home environment, I am disappointed with the sound quality but can not understand why given the quality of the components.

I ask myself what is wrong as the sound on most CD's seems muffled? not revealing the crystal clarity I expected.

Having listened to the same system within demonstartion room surroundings, convinced the purchase was going to be a musical adventure, my journey seems to have come to a swift end!

What have I done wrong? I am wondering if it is the speaker cable?

Hi suttonm

I don't think the speakers or cables are the issue here. The 'problem' is with the voicing/tonality of Naim. If I'd want hear-through transparency I'd look elsewhere. They do other things better. No such issues with PMC as I/we found out when changing from a supernait to flying mole's integrated some months ago with one of PMC's lower range floorstanders. The difference was marked if not necesseraly better in every respect.

However, assuming you bought your system exactly as you heard it during your dem, inluding cables, I would have thought it is simply a room or set up issue. Check your connections and positioning. Don't worry to much about running the stuff in, it won't make a difference to the extend you describe it. The best way to back this up is that there was an issue with loose/vague feeling volume control on a batch of supernaits. Upon opening a couple of boxes for a disgruntled customer one of the new SN's was placed in a system in place of the shop dem model which was run-in/used on a daily basis. Perhaps there was a difference for a few minutes but no-one did say with any certainty that it sounded any different.

regards

MRB

Feb 20, 2007
Visit site
This is a long shot, but is the loudspeaker cable connected using the correct polarity (positive to positive / negative to negative)? A crossed wire on one speaker might be cancelling out the sound of the other.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Likewise a long shot, but are the "jumpers" between the HF and LF speaker terminals on the speaker present(you would remove these if bi-wiring)? If not then there would be no signal going to the tweeters giving the "muffled" sound.

I can confidently say that Naim amps are not normally treble-shy (I've got a 102/180) and similar for the PMCs (although I've only heard these at the Bristol Show)...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts