Naim or Cyrus system for Kef speakers

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
hi guys, I've been using the Logitech transporter with Linn AV 5125 power amp and Kef Q10 bookshelfs for streaming all of my music from a NAS. And the audiolabs 8200CD for the ocasional CD and iMac (via dac) playback.

The Transporter has been sold and I've been looking at a more compact all-in-one streamer that would give a similar sound.

My two options are the Naim UnitiQute or the Cyrus Stramline. Does anyone know which would be more suited for the Kef Q10's.

The Linn is borrowed from a friend, and will need to go back eventually, hence why I'm looking at a streamer with built in Amp.

thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It may come down to the presentation that you prefer.

If you like the Linn sound, you should also look at the Sneaky or the Sekrit DSI.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks CnoEvil, I do like the Linn sound and would love to go for the Sneaky, unfortunately Linn streamers are quite a bit out of my price range. I need to decide on an ex-demo streamline or UnitiQute as those fit my budget.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what your total budget is, but here are new prices and I'm sure all can be bought ex-dem if patient:

Cyrus Streamline...£995
Linn Sneaky DS.....£850
http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-3935-linn-sneaky-ds-networked-media-player.aspx

Naim UnitiQute.....£1425
Linn Sekrit DSI....£1500 http://www.newcastlehifi.co.uk/products/ebz_product_pages/linn_sekrit_dsi.shtml

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
My budget is up to £1000.

I didn't realise that the sneaky DS has come down in price. Just wondering if it would sound better then the streamline. SQ is most important to me but the stramline seems to be quite a lot more versatile with input and outputs as well as a better control interface. Ah decisions decisions.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dommer said:
My budget is up to £1000.

I didn't realise that the sneaky DS has come down in price. Just wondering if it would sound better then the streamline. SQ is most important to me but the stramline seems to be quite a lot more versatile with input and outputs as well as a better control interface. Ah decisions decisions.

The Linn has a competent amp, provided the speakers are reasonably efficient and you don't use it for a disco. The Streamline is good value, as it used to cost more, and has a more powerful amp....it may come down to presentation.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to think that I should just use my Audiolab's DAC with the iMac for now and look at upgrading the Kef Q10's to something like the Spendor S3's or the new KEF R100's. If I stay with the Q10's and go with a Sneaky DS or Streamline, I might not notice much of an improvement over the transporter I used for two years.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You are certainly looking at very nice kit......with your current thinking, what amp would you be using?

I suspect that coming from your current speakers, you will prefer the Kef R series to the Spendors, which might be a touch smooth and undynamic.

Do report in with how you get on.

Cno

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your great suggestions Cno. If I upgrade to the KEF R100s, and use my audiolab 8200CD as the main player/dac then I might ad a used audiolab 8000A integrated which I can buy from a friend for a very good price.

I might visit a local Sevenoaks to listen to the KEF R100s this weekend. Otherwise I will keep the q10s for now and go for a Cyrus Streamline.

will let you know either way.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I auditioned a pair of Monitor Audio 50s as well as the Spendor SA1s and S3s with the Cyrus Streamline yesterday, the dealer did not have the KEF R100s. Both the MAs and S3s sounded good to me, but the SA1s were exceptionally good! Now I am thinking of just going for a pair of the Spendor SA1s which I could get for about £900.

But then also found a great deal on an ex demo Naim UnitiQute, unfortunately I can't afford both the UQ and the SA1s, so it's going to be a hard decision.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dommer said:
I auditioned a pair of Monitor Audio 50s as well as the Spendor SA1s and S3s with the Cyrus Streamline yesterday, the dealer did not have the KEF R100s. Both the MAs and S3s sounded good to me, but the SA1s were exceptionally good! Now I am thinking of just going for a pair of the Spendor SA1s which I could get for about £900.

But then also found a great deal on an ex demo Naim UnitiQute, unfortunately I can't afford both the UQ and the SA1s, so it's going to be a hard decision.

The SA1s have been my favorite small speaker since they came out, but now are imo challanged by the Kef R series, so as has been said above, you should try them before committing (and save some money if you prefer them).

The success of the SA1s will be determined by the size of your room, which if too big for them, will mean you will be better off with something like the R300.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
the R 300 can be used in a small or medium sized room. The R 100 I would personally only use in a small room for best performance.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys, my lounge is quite small at only 3x4m. So the KEF R100s should be good enough. Perhaps best to go for the UnitiQute now and check out the R100s when I save up a bit.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Well I finally decided and went for an ex-demo Naim UnitiQute. Should be delivered this friday. So will spend the weekend comparing it to the Audiolab/Linn seperates. In time I will upgrade the speakers to something better. Maybe a pair of KEF R100, or even PMC's or Neats, if budget allows.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dommer said:
Well I finally decided and went for an ex-demo Naim UnitiQute. Should be delivered this friday. So will spend the weekend comparing it to the Audiolab/Linn seperates. In time I will upgrade the speakers to something better. Maybe a pair of KEF R100, or even PMC's or Neats, if budget allows.

That all sounds good, and (imo) you are looking at the right speakers as well.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
A quick update... So I've now had the UnitiQute for 2 weeks and am enjoying it very much. It's a lot easier to set-up than the Logitech transporter/squeezebox server was. And it sounds better than the Sonos streamer did trough the audiolab dac.

Unfortunately (and I was afraid this would be the case) the UnitiQute integrated amp lacks the punch and soundstage that my Linn AV Power amp gave the KEF Q10s. I've also tried a pair of MF X-A50 mono blocks with the Qute and these also bring back more bass to the sound.

So it sounds like I will stick to having more than one box in my system, until I can upgrade my speakers and see if that will open up the sound a bit more with just the Qute on it's own.

stuartayling

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dommer, I see from your signature that you've now got the Kef R100 with your Naim UnitiQute is that a good combination. I've got the Kef R100 myself and am very tempted by the Unitiqute. Thanks, Stuart

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi Stuart ,

I did not notice your post, or I would have answered sooner. I've had the UnitiQute and the KEF R100 speakers for about 8months now, and I am very happy with the setup. I did also briefly try the NAP100 with the Qute. The power amp does add to the low end and seperation and soundstage is better pronounced. But I could not justify spending more at the time. All in all, I'm happy with my choice, and if you're looking for a system for a small to medium sized room, I believe you'll enjoy this setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts