Naim Nap 250 and Dynaudio Confidence C1

UK30000

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Has anyone had any experience with the Naim 250 Power Amp and the Dynaudio Confidence C1 Stand Mount Speakers. I have read somewhere that this amp does not have enough power to bring out the best in the speakers and could run a bit hot. I always thought that the 250 was a top notch amplifier.

I would appreciate any feedback on this subject.

Thanks

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Dynaudio speakers have tended over the years to have lower impedence than other 'similar' speakers. The C1s are rated at 4 ohms, the average is closer to 8 ohms. Lower impedence means it will draw more current from the amplifier. Not every amplifier is built to deal with demanding, current hungry speakers. Power rating (in watts) has little to do with it. Ideally you should listen to this combo, especially with some bass heavy music to test whether the amplifier is really up to driving these speakers.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
UK30000 said:
Hi

Has anyone had any experience with the Naim 250 Power Amp and the Dynaudio Confidence C1 Stand Mount Speakers. I have read somewhere that this amp does not have enough power to bring out the best in the speakers and could run a bit hot. I always thought that the 250 was a top notch amplifier.

I would appreciate any feedback on this subject.

Thanks

The 250 is a top notch amp no doubt, but I also think its too small for the confidence series (they are amazing speakers)... I heard them through a Plinius and i quite liked them through it... It drove them fine... TearDrop is right, you should try some bass heavy music, or classical that has a lot of swings and transients... Check how deep, high and wide the soundstage is, and see if the imaging is up to your standard, check if you are getting the elements of the music at volumes under say the 10 O Clock position... That will tell you how easy it is for the amp to run the speakers efficiently, the dyns are capable of a lot, don't waste them with an inadequate amp!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi UK30000,
Sorry to pry, but could you clarify where you're coming from? Do you already own any of these components? Or are you building a system from scratch as it were?
:cheers:
Matt

UK30000

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
I already have the 250 and will not be going any higher.
I want stand mounted speakers due to room limitations and the C1s seemed perfect.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
UK30000 said:
Thanks for the replies. I already have the 250 and will not be going any higher. I want stand mounted speakers due to room limitations and the C1s seemed perfect.

The two best standmounts I've heard around that price are the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Ms and Vivid V1.5s.

No idea how they would work with the NAP 250 though.

Matt

UK30000 said:
Thanks for the replies. I already have the 250 and will not be going any higher. I want stand mounted speakers due to room limitations and the C1s seemed perfect.

Having heard the Naim XS with Dyns Contour S1.4 the combo sounded very inpressive. However, Dyns generally aren't the easiest to drive and they are quite big for a standmount/bookshelf speaker, so the best advice would be to dem the two and see how they stack up.

I would also listen to Neat Ultimatum and Totem Mani II Signature.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
UK30000 said:
I want stand mounted speakers due to room limitations

I take this to mean the room is small? Never tried the Confidence range, but the Focus and Contour speakers I've had in my room needed a fair bit of space around them. I would guess the Confidence range will be the same. Best to demo at home.

UK30000

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes its a small room and the speakers need to be against the wall.
From what I have learned elsewhere is that the speakers are at 85db @ 4ohms and are a ***** to drive. The 250 would not get the best out of them. Thats fine but I need to know whether I can use the pair together comfortably?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
If close to the wall, you have a problem, as the Dynaudios have a whopping great rear port. I'd be looking at front-ported speakers, which will be less picky about placement, e.g. the Harbeth Monitor 30.1. Or possibly a side-ported model like the new Sonus Faber Olympica I. Obviously these won't give you the same bass clout, but you also won't have the problems of bass bloom from a rear port.

Just a thought ...

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
UK30000 said:

Having heard the Naim XS with Dyns Contour S1.4 the combo sounded very inpressive. However, Dyns generally aren't the easiest to drive and they are quite big for a standmount/bookshelf speaker, so the best advice would be to dem the two and see how they stack up.

Dunno... Both are rear ported. Both are isobaric, meaning they have 2 mid-bass drivers in parallel, meaning they have low impedance in the bass freqs (under 2 Ohm for the Totem). The Mani II has a 85 dB sensitivity. So they need plenty of space and a high current amp...

I haven't heard them myself though...

UK30000

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Matt for your input to the thread.
Cant find any price listings for the Sonus Fabers.
This is getting to be a bit of a problem.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
UK30000 said:
Thanks Matt for your input to the thread. Cant find any price listings for the Sonus Fabers. This is getting to be a bit of a problem.

Cheers!

I know of only one dealer that has them in the UK (I assume that's where you are!): O'Briens in Wimbledon. More should be arriving in the next few weeks. The price will be about £4K plus stands IIRC.

Good luck!

DocG said:
plastic penguin said:
UK30000 said:

Dunno... Both are rear ported. Both are isobaric, meaning they have 2 mid-bass drivers in parallel, meaning they have low impedance in the bass freqs (under 2 Ohm for the Totem). The Mani II has a 85 dB sensitivity. So they need plenty of space and a high current amp...

I haven't heard them myself though...

Hence why the advice was to dem.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
UK30000 said:
Thanks Matt for your input to the thread. Cant find any price listings for the Sonus Fabers. This is getting to be a bit of a problem.

Cheers!

I know of only one dealer that has them in the UK (I assume that's where you are!): O'Briens in Wimbledon. More should be arriving in the next few weeks. The price will be about £4K plus stands IIRC.

Good luck!

Stone Audio also stocks them: http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts