Naim Nait 3 vs arcam

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Currently looking to upgrade my setup, I got an Alpha 8R attatched to a Rega P1 and looking to a) upgrade the rega to a P3 or a newer P3/24. How hard is it to fit a tonearm anyone? and b) either buy an Alpha 8P and a outboard phono stage and the other option which I have no experience with is to look for something like naim/linn but the older stuff, does anyone know how a Nait 3 (older olive coloured range) would compare to the Bi-Amped arcam setup?? I would probably be looking at a Nap 250 as a not so distant future addition if going down that route.

matthewpiano

It really depends what kind of music you listen to. I've had a Nait 3 and loved its energy and life but it gives more of a wall of sound rather than doing much in the way of soundstaging. They are also very fussy about speaker cables and only really work to their best (like most earlier Naim kit) when used with Naim's own NACA5, which is about £11 per metre plus termination with Naim's own plugs at the amp end. You should not use solid core or silver cables with a Naim - the amp will become electrically unbalanced if you do. It needs to be kept powered up continuously as well because they only really come on song when they are properly warmed up. It is for this reason that there is no power switch on the front of the unit - Naim recommend you don't power it down, and it does make a difference with that particular amplifier. If you can get one with a Naim phono board fitted, its a very good phono stage.

Personally I think the bi-amped Alpha route is more flexible and more consistent across a range of musical styles but I'd be tempted to upgrade to an Alpha 10 first and then bi-amp that.

A

Anonymous

I had a nait 3 and hated it: strident, harsh and shouty with no soundstage. Makes everything sound like loud rock music, so maybe if loud rock music is your thing it would suit...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
In agreement with MP; i think upgrading to the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp would make a world of difference.

Even then its still upgradable by addding its matching power amp at a later stage. The Alpha 10's soundstage is superb as well; warm yet very precise and punchy. Gives the bass drivers a good run!

I also think that taking a look at different speaker cables and interconnects could offer you more insight into your system as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts