Naim Mu-so 2 or kef lsx

BCY_jnbp

May 30, 2020
Visit site
So I was thinking about getting a home bluetooth speaker and I wasn't sure whether to get the kef lsx or the naim Mu-so 2. What would u say is the better one and are there any better options with a similarly good design for the same money. Would u say the difference between the naim qb 2 and the muso 2 is big enough to justify the price difference.
Thanks for any advice in advance

Reactions: Gelatinous_Blob

Jimboo

Ls50w are my choice these days , superb sound no sweet spot , unfussy and worth the money.
The LS50W for tidal simply doesn't work . It is a total disgrace and Kef should be ashamed of themselves as should everybody who reviewed them for not mentioning the awful useless apps. With a cd transport and vinyl fantastic. Bluetooth great but as I say tidal worst product on the market.
The lsx is the same great sound really bad useless apps.
The muso isn't for everyone but my muso qb software is excellent and my friend has a muso2 it is a style piece but sounds very good but not in the kefs league.
I would advise s really long audition before purchase and ask yourself how important the apps are. I never use them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

So I was thinking about getting a home bluetooth speaker and I wasn't sure whether to get the kef lsx or the naim Mu-so 2. What would u say is the better one and are there any better options with a similarly good design for the same money. Would u say the difference between the naim qb 2 and the muso 2 is big enough to justify the price difference.

Very different speakers/systems! aimed at 2 very market segments.

One will give you far better sound stage the other is more of modern juke box, Nothing wrong with that if thats what your after.

Active stereo speakers are worth saving for but i dont like the all in one nature of the kef ls50W. If something goes wrong you've lost the lot, and they become very expensive paper weights. And or the company could pull software support at any time in the future cutting the functionality in half over night, as you rely on the app access functions you can't others get to any other way. If you fine with that then fine but something to be aware of.

I personally would look at the Elac Navis B51, Where you have the option of hooking up your own bits and bobs or using them on there own with there little streamer box.
It gives you options. but you not relying on the company so much.

Just food for thought.

Jimboo

Oh boy, the old lost the lot crap argument, lose your amp nothing happens , speakers break nothing to hear , come on if one part goes in the kefs in reality it is no different than any other repair is it ?
As for the app pull as stated they don't work well and you don't need them . They pulled them before they even got them working. As a simpler solution they are a great option.
They are a dealers nightmare an all in one audiophile system that performs without the cables , and add ons that the cost of rarely give the benefits advertised.

jjbomber

Is it just Bluetooth or will there be any other sources? Is it a main set-up or a second room/office? What about Dynaudio Xeo 2? Lots of options really.

BCY_jnbp

May 30, 2020
Visit site
Is it just Bluetooth or will there be any other sources? Is it a main set-up or a second room/office? What about Dynaudio Xeo 2? Lots of options really.
It Is a secondary setup only for Bluetooth as I have a fully working stereo system in my office but I want something for my living room now that is as simple as it gets in terms f connectivity and wiring. So I'm rather looking for a kind of lounge sound speaker/system with a nice design

jjbomber

It Is a secondary setup only for Bluetooth as I have a fully working stereo system in my office but I want something for my living room now that is as simple as it gets in terms f connectivity and wiring. So I'm rather looking for a kind of lounge sound speaker/system with a nice design

Kef LSX v Dynaudio Xeo 2 would be my shortlist. The latter are discontinued so going cheap; however that makes them harder to audition. Most hi-fi shops can re-open in 2 weeks, so a good time to be buying.

D

Deleted member 116933

Oh boy, the old lost the lot crap argument, lose your amp nothing happens , speakers break nothing to hear , come on if one part goes in the kefs in reality it is no different than any other repair is it ?
As for the app pull as stated they don't work well and you don't need them . They pulled them before they even got them working. As a simpler solution they are a great option.
They are a dealers nightmare an all in one audiophile system that performs without the cables , and add ons that the cost of rarely give the benefits advertised.

Perfectly valid points that i feel needs to be thought about especially at 2k, I dont have a problem with all in ones as long as they can be used without special soft wear and the Kefs cant be (tidal Spotify any sort or streaming FULL setup and so requires the KEF app) BUT the navis can and if you wish you can even add preamps and DACs . So i dont get the hostility really. I gave a different option Thats cheaper and gives options if he/she wishes.

As for repair yeah really is a problem then whole lot has to go and being digital in nature id be surprised if they can be repaired beyond simple things.

Everyone has a opinion but i listed out some facts at that sort money really need to be seriously considered.

It they want the Kefs go for it they sound fantastic.

But it seems like all the Op wants is a bluetooth system so just get 1 or 2 sonos play 5s job done will work better that all of the above. And have a proven support record where i feel 500-1k is just about right for that sort of product.

D

Deleted member 116933

Perfectly valid points that i feel needs to be thought about especially at 2k, I dont have a problem with all in ones as long as they can be used without special soft wear and the Kefs cant be (tidal Spotify any sort or streaming FULL setup and so requires the KEF app) BUT the navis can and if you wish you can even add preamps and DACs . So i dont get the hostility really. I gave a different option Thats cheaper and gives options if he/she wishes . EDIT cheaper than the LS50W

As for repair yeah really is a problem then whole lot has to go and being digital in nature id be surprised if they can be repaired beyond simple things.

Everyone has a opinion but i listed out some facts at that sort money really need to be seriously considered.

But it seems like all the Op wants is a bluetooth system so just get 1 or 2 sonos play 5s job done will work better that all of the above. And have a proven support record where i feel 500-1k is just about right for that sort of product.

Jimboo

Perfectly valid points that i feel needs to be thought about especially at 2k, I dont have a problem with all in ones as long as they can be used without special soft wear and the Kefs cant be (tidal Spotify any sort or streaming FULL setup and so requires the KEF app) BUT the navis can and if you wish you can even add preamps and DACs . So i dont get the hostility really. I gave a different option Thats cheaper and gives options if he/she wishes.

Frustration is not hostility. Their downfall are the apps agreed. The difference between software and hardware failure are different, how? Their very idea and concept is that you don't need to buy or add pre amps or DACs isn't it. That gives you a multi box option/solution. Again that isn't the point of the design and build. So the validity of those points in the correct context are a lot different.
When the first batch were released they had a high failure rate , all repaired and sorted with a current excellent reliability rate , but then you know this.
The facts are at this sort of money it will cost you more money with extra costs incurred on cables etc to achieve their performance and sound.
The little Kefs will do him but I would at least audition their bigger brothers.
Look at this way 50% of posts on here are from people who talk it but don't do the walk, by that I mean they have components ten to fifteen years old and stick with it containing a wave of features and designs that have parts that many didn't think would last or cause problems.
The other 50,% spend their time moaning and recommending speaker positioning tips,room treatments and panels along with a cornucopia of snake oil costing hard cash and continual add ons or continual box swopping to obtain synergy and sound improvement from speakers that cost more than the Kef speakers.
Kef are fools because at least one of their directors is linked or is a co director of the company that makes the app. Had they got it right they would have been at the front of the qué for the obvious natural progression of future hifi , Sonos,naim and others are moving towards the simpler idea of more in less boxes.
Considering the majority of spats and posts on this and every other hifi forum/platform a system that is unbelievably tolerant of its position and what it is placed on (putting them on their sides makes no difference) a system that doesn't require tape measures to define where the sweet spot is because it doesn't exist with the Kef ls 50w (it really doesn't) saves you wasting money on ugly NASA grade metal scientifically measured spaces on multi racks with zero hum or noise then costs , compatibility and peace of mind make them incredibly cheap.
Because of specifically the Kef stream app they should have been called up on it by the press and not received a blanket 5 stars. Darko , what hifi and co should be ashamed for not pointing this out.
I am not being hostile , apologies if you felt that. I read the pages on here and I bought them because I am not going to be one of the guys on here who think wasting money is a hobby and buying four grand speakers that don't sound good, unless you buy a new amp , move them away from a wall get different cables or buy panels to get them to possibly sound like the blurb is actually a sensible approach . I play music and enjoy it.

Reactions: BCY_jnbp

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
I can’t comment on the LSX as I have heard only a few minutes compared to the L50w — and I decided for the latter. The main factor was the USB connection, which enables a bit-perfect high resolution input (24/96 and up to 24/192) from a laptop (or other sources).
I use my LS50w with a Audioquest USB cable (even the first model in their line makes a big difference, the more expensive Carbon is better, but not so much as to justify the price difference in my view). On my laptop I use Audirvana, and I have full access to Tidal and Qobuz, so I can switch between the two instantly.

Audirvana is bit-perfect and works wonders in USB, but it can also drive the LS50w using bluetooth (but the sound is nowhere near as good as in USB). I have stopped using the Kef Stream app since I installed Audirvana. I still use Kef Control for turning the speakers on/off, changing input and controlling some things. I leave the sound volume in Kef Control at 40 to 50 and control volume on Audirvana, typically -5dB. With this setup I can honestly say that I have a very good sound, especially at low volumes, and a lot more convenience for listening than my traditional system (Rega p9, Cambridge CXU, MF KW500, Apertura Tanagra SE). I just turn everything on and play music remotely from any location, all from my iPhone or iPad. I am considering buying a used Macbook Air to use only for this application,that’s how good it sounds.

I have not connected the Kef LS50w to a subwoofer (although I have a decent REL model in my HC system because I don’t feel the need for more bass.

Disclaimer - this setup is obviously best for digital music, so all data is transferred to the DAC and amp in the digital domain. I have had good results with my SACD players connected to the LS50w through analog input.

Re: vinyl - I am still undecided as to the best way to play vinyl with these speakers, or maintain a separate all-analog system, which clearly is crazy from a cost point of view but makes no compromise and allows for the best of both worlds.
Right now the jury is still out on vinyl but I have to admit that since I have purchased the LS50w and found the right connection (USB), most of my listening has been digital. It has been almost one year, so these comments are not made in the heat of a recent purchase, — and I still very happy with this setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCY_jnbp

BCY_jnbp

May 30, 2020
Visit site
I can’t comment on the LSX as I have heard only a few minutes compared to the L50w — and I decided for the latter. The main factor was the USB connection, which enables a bit-perfect high resolution input (24/96 and up to 24/192) from a laptop (or other sources).
I use my LS50w with a Audioquest USB cable (even the first model in their line makes a big difference, the more expensive Carbon is better, but not so much as to justify the price difference in my view). On my laptop I use Audirvana, and I have full access to Tidal and Qobuz, so I can switch between the two instantly.

Audirvana is bit-perfect and works wonders in USB, but it can also drive the LS50w using bluetooth (but the sound is nowhere near as good as in USB). I have stopped using the Kef Stream app since I installed Audirvana. I still use Kef Control for turning the speakers on/off, changing input and controlling some things. I leave the sound volume in Kef Control at 40 to 50 and control volume on Audirvana, typically -5dB. With this setup I can honestly say that I have a very good sound, especially at low volumes, and a lot more convenience for listening than my traditional system (Rega p9, Cambridge CXU, MF KW500, Apertura Tanagra SE). I just turn everything on and play music remotely from any location, all from my iPhone or iPad. I am considering buying a used Macbook Air to use only for this application,that’s how good it sounds.

I have not connected the Kef LS50w to a subwoofer (although I have a decent REL model in my HC system because I don’t feel the need for more bass.

Disclaimer - this setup is obviously best for digital music, so all data is transferred to the DAC and amp in the digital domain. I have had good results with my SACD players connected to the LS50w through analog input.

Re: vinyl - I am still undecided as to the best way to play vinyl with these speakers, or maintain a separate all-analog system, which clearly is crazy from a cost point of view but makes no compromise and allows for the best of both worlds.
Right now the jury is still out on vinyl but I have to admit that since I have purchased the LS50w and found the right connection (USB), most of my listening has been digital. It has been almost one year, so these comments are not made in the heat of a recent purchase, — and I still very happy with this setup.
Would u say that an external dac is definitely necessary or would the USB connection from the PC to the speakers be enough (when using audirvana)

Reactions: EricLeRouge

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Would u say that an external dac is definitely necessary or would the USB connection from the PC to the speakers be enough (when using audirvana)

Not necessary, if you use a good USB cable (and I don’t mean the top of the line expensive stuff), then you just connect to the USB input directly, and that is by far the best sound I have been able to get with these speakers.

In fact, if you audition the LS50w, I would recommend bringing your Macbook with Audirvana (free trial) and a USB cable (e.g. Audioquest Clear) so that you can judge on the best ‘out of the box’ possible setup.

If you are using a DAC, it really depends if your DAC sounds better than the speakers’ internal DAC. I would assume that some high end DACs will have a better sound and/or sonic signature. I have two DACs but they are more than 10 years old, and I cannot access and navigate a SSD disk or server using those, they only work with a drive.

For navigating my music on hard drives, I either use my laptop (and Audirvana) or my CXU using on screen navigation or using Audirvana (connected wirelessly through Upnp.) I have tried to connect with my CXU (using optical, then using the CXU’s DAC and connecting through the speakers’ analog input) but the result was not as good (to my ears) as a direct USB connection.

In any event, it is worth experimenting (if your dealer lets you have cables on loan or has a return policy, it is well worth the time and effort).

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Here's my 2p worth.
  • Dynaudio Xeo 2 for around £600 new or nearly new.
  • Pioneer RM-05 monitor new for £170 each + wireless streaming box of your choice e.g. Arcam irDAC II, iFi Zen Bluetooth DAC
I have both.
The Xeo 2 is a doddle to set up and use and sounds great, but is beaten for outright scale/oomph and imaging by the Pioneer (which also feels like it's hewn from granite).

Gelatinous_Blob

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
I have a similar quandary to the OP. The KEFs and Mu So seem to be of similarly high quality, but different character, if reviews are to be believed.

Can't find the Dynaudios anywhere.

The Yamaha N-NX500 keep popping up and these look like they could be an excellent pair of speakers, with some good reviews. They're also half the price of the KEFs.

Would be interested to know if they're anywhere approaching the same league as the KEFs or Mu-So.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts