Naim more sensitive to current quality?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering...

Since Naim's got this whole cult built around current, (DIN connectors, power supplies etc.), just wondering if anyone's got any experience to suggest that non Naim systems might fare better in less than audiophile friendly environments.

My NaitXS seems to be working fine sometimes, and at other times seems not so happy. I unplug a piece of electronics across the room, and it seems happy again. When I have my washing machine running, it doesn't seem to be happy. (Not sure if that's just me hearing things differently because the washing machine is noisy, or is it the power that the machine is taking that's causing less juice to be available to this system for it's transients/attacks/dynamics.

Am i imaging things, or are other electronics less susceptible to these kind of issues?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MoData:When I have my washing machine running, it doesn't seem to be happy. (Not sure if that's just me hearing things differently because the washing machine is noisy...)

That's the one.

My system doesn't miss a beat if equally high current devices are switched on in adjacent rooms (kettle, iron... etc.) but a noisy washing machine is definitely going to add a substantially audible noise threshold to interfere with enjoyment and even turning the volume up/closing the door won't mask it entirely.

It's like when you have a noisy car idling outside the house. The moment it is switched off - or moves away - there is a palpable improvement to the sound.

This is why music sounds better early on a Sunday morning, or late at night, when the usual background noise level is absent.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Having just gone back to a Naim pre-power from a Cyrus set-up, I certainly think that Naim kit is not necessarily more susceptible to noisy mains but it is more unforgiving in this respect. My NAP 200 has a Naim power-line on it (freebie with the 202) and even that doesn't cut mains noise from the fridge, for example. I heard it with my Cyrus pre-amp also, but it was not so noticeable.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jockey.wilson:Having just gone back to a Naim pre-power from a Cyrus set-up, I certainly think that Naim kit is not necessarily more susceptible to noisy mains but it is more unforgiving in this respect. My NAP 200 has a Naim power-line on it (freebie with the 202) and even that doesn't cut mains noise from the fridge, for example. I heard it with my Cyrus pre-amp also, but it was not so noticeable.

I haven't heard noises from the hifi - due to the refrigerator going on and off - for many years, through any system including the Naim.

I just assumed this was due to modern refrigerators having supressors built in. Our last two John Lewis (AEG?) refrigerators have never caused this problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts