NAIM HDX server question.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Does HDX sound similar to CDX 2? or which one is better? (not sound per pound but out right preformance)

May be Mr. E could help me on this one
emotion-1.gif
(or other members who have listen to both)

John Duncan

Thaiman:
Does HDX sound similar to CDX 2? or which one is better? (not sound per pound but out right preformance)

emotion-1.gif

Four grand, TM! Four grand!!!!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Thaiman:

emotion-1.gif

Four grand, TM! Four grand!!!!

Any lesser player wouldn't make the most out of ART + big Mac I afraid! Was looking for DCS or Esoteric so Naim is a lot cheaper!

A

Anonymous

Maybe ask on their forum?

The last I read was that many felt it performed below that CD player.

A

Anonymous

Not head the CDX2 but I was fortunate to get some personal service and demoing when I popped into Rayleigh Hifi in Chelmsford Recently. The Manager was very happy to show me the HDX in full usage and I got to hear about 10 tracks. It was paired with the Supernait and some other boxes (PSUs?) and some £2k Totems.

Well, the sound was amazing. So clear, open and without colour. I also noticed that the beyond the insight and detail was a real notable musical beat and tunefullness. I was hooked! Pair this with the ease of use and fantastic technology its the perfect package but as JD said.....£4500!!!! WOW!

I think they do a version with no screen for £3000?

Sorry that doesnt answer your question :)
The manager did say its as good as any Naim CD player and potentially better - but this isnt fist hand experience...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
My Marantz is better than the CDX 2 (to my ears) so if HDX couldn't beat the CDX 2 then may be I have to change plan!

Mr. E written reviews for both so hopefully he could shade some light.

A

Anonymous

MacBook and a Stello, I reckon.

The Naim is a very expensive computer, and although their sales staff claim the ripping to be superior, the technical white paper from the design team admits it is possible to obtain perfect rips on a computer too.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I listened to the Naim HDX and was impressed. It was demonstrated with all the different power supplies, cabling and amps at a Naim roadshow. It was a vast amount of money to get the most out of it.

In the end, after a lot of research, I settled on an iMac, fed by a server (Apple Lossless ripped on my main PC) into a Benchmark DAC1 USB feeding my Leema Tucana. It was a lot cheaper and I think a more revealing system.

A friend of mine has the HDX (but is much less technically minded than me). He was very pleased with it until it blew up last week.

John Duncan

VoodooDoctor:He was very pleased with it until it blew up last week.

Sorry to mock the afflicted, but I find this quite amusing. "Yes we're going to charge you £4,500 but this is top quality audiophile-grade equipm.....oh - broken you say?"

I'm with others here - a Mac and a three and a half grand DAC please.....
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:VoodooDoctor:He was very pleased with it until it blew up last week.

Sorry to mock the afflicted, but I find this quite amusing. "Yes we're going to charge you £4,500 but this is top quality audiophile-grade equipm.....oh - broken you say?"

emotion-2.gif

Seems to be a hint of the green eyed monster here...........

John Duncan

MENISCUS:
JohnDuncan:VoodooDoctor:He was very pleased with it until it blew up last week.

emotion-2.gif

Seems to be a hint of the green eyed monster here...........

Nope
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Voodoo,

Is it as good as Apple Front Row, or iTunes controlled by Remote App?

manicm

VoodooDoctor:It's not bad. When fed to the TV it's easy to use and looks nice. Much better than Linn's "efforts".

Yes VD, emphasis on 'efforts'
emotion-7.gif
I know they're evangelising their open-sourceness but shelling out a few grand some usability should come in return.

Looks like they're not gonna change their mind about this, they're being quite resolute about this. Although to be fair, many are happy with an iPod touch as control, and the sound quality by buyers' accounts is excellent, even in the cheapest model.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I have heard the Linn Akurate DS and was very impressed. Unfortunately, the interface was hopeless and didn't even allow you to save playlists. Their attitude is, to me, arrogant when their customer is spending so much money.

I haven't used Remote App on the iPhone (any good?). I tend to use the mini remote and the mouse!

John Duncan

VoodooDoctor:I haven't used Remote App on the iPhone (any good?). I tend to use the mini remote and the mouse!

With airport express, yeah, it's great, though not perfect - if the ability to sort by fields within playlists and added coverflow (which I thought it had, but was disappointed!), it'd be spot on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts