Naim Fraim - or not...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

A hi-fi rack is on the agenda, but I'm lost for which one to buy - I just can't make a choice! I would prefer wood, but I don't want something which is very thin and has just some very thin poles running down it - that I could make in my garage!

Therefore, I've been looking at the Naim Fraim - it seems to tick all the boxes, accept the smaller shelf height version has 10.5cm of height, and my Arcam A32 is 10cm tall. Would .5cm be enough for ventilation? It doesn't really sound like enough...

I don't really want to go to the next height which is something like 25cm, which is WAY too much, so are there other racks I should be considering? (Sorry if that sounds iffy!)

It would have to fit, an Arcam A32 amplifier, an Arcam CD73T CD player and a turntable ontop.

Many thanks!!!

A

Anonymous

I think we've got one out in the garage.

It's quite nice.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Take a squint at the stands unique that i use,it ticks all your boxes. The uprights are 50mm solid wood octagonal beasties,10mm base plate which easily holds my 45kg power jobbie, and 8mm shelves,although i think you can spec what thickness glass you like. Heres the best bit,the shelves are adjustable in 25mm increments along the whole length of the upright,job done !.

A

Anonymous

its nic e, yes but way WAY overpriced for what they are! I say this as a cabinetmaker/joiner, so if you can find someone who can make i for less that what dealers sell it for (which wont be too difficult) then go for it!:)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
clivej:its nic e, yes but way WAY overpriced for what they are! I say this as a cabinetmaker/joiner, so if you can find someone who can make i for less that what dealers sell it for (which wont be too difficult) then go for it!:)

I got mine second hand,luckily, because as you say they are a tad pricey at full whack.

A

Anonymous

Okay, I've also noticed that none of these racks are big enough to hold my future upgrade - Icon Audio Monoblocks....hmmm......

A

Anonymous

Ikea make very good units you can use as racks, and no, I'm not kidding. Soundwise they're meant to be very good, and they are, of course, eminently affordable.

If you're not convinced, try putting your turntable on a cheapie Lack table. Really makes a huge difference, especially to designs such as Rega and Pro-ject.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:
I'm guessing he won't have to...

You mean you think he'll go here and then move on to here for his doctorate?

But seriously, j'acc, if you reckon you could make a good stand in your garage, why not apply some DIY and do just that? It's going to cost you less than those pre-made ones...

A

Anonymous

clivej:its nic e, yes but way WAY overpriced for what they are! I say this as a cabinetmaker/joiner, so if you can find someone who can make i for less that what dealers sell it for (which wont be too difficult) then go for it!:)I was just about to say this.

Maybe you should start knocking together something similar!

A

Anonymous

gimme a decent workshop, and the right machinery and id be happy to!LOL:)

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
fatboyslimfast:
I'm guessing he won't have to...

You mean you think he'll go here and then move on to here for his doctorate?

But seriously, j'acc, if you reckon you could make a good stand in your garage, why not apply some DIY and do just that? It's going to cost you less than those pre-made ones...

I may do that; MDF, four threaded metal poles about 2cm in diameter and a few bolts and washers should sort it out...Maybe some sand in the poles to cut vibrations a bit...should be good.

I don't think I'll be going to St.Hugh's, though!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Conflict of interest you mean?
emotion-2.gif

Go for thick MDF, and get some bitumen panels for the undersides to damp out any vibrations from the shelves.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts