Hi chebby

Good news
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Interesting portfolio for Naxicap. And the other one. Like a french version of Dragon's Den but a whole lot bigger. Majority share, Chairman steps down and a new CEO. Wonder what comes next?. Muso I hope.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Fairly standard approach really. The founder sells up, retaining a nominal role but basically cashing in his life's work (and good for him). Private equity comes in with a view to exiting in 3-4 years having built the group up further and making a return of anything from 5 x their investment upwards (good ones get 100 x, but the deals tend to be bigger).

How to make the group worth more? I'd guess more acquisitions, something fairly common in the high end world at the moment. Plus an even stronger focus on what sells, not what pleases the audiophile community. Which could mean more ultra high end gear, more 'populist' stuff like the Muso (populist is all relative!), or similar. Think what Meridian did a few years back when they were acquired by private equity - a move upmarket into the lifestyle arena, away from their traditional roots but still retainign excellent products. Oh and they acquired Soolos (which might have been just before the sale but to my mind was an inextricable part of it).

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
Fairly standard approach really. The founder sells up, retaining a nominal role but basically cashing in his life's work (and good for him). Private equity comes in with a view to exiting in 3-4 years having built the group up further and making a return of anything from 5 x their investment upwards (good ones get 100 x, but the deals tend to be bigger).

How to make the group worth more? I'd guess more acquisitions, something fairly common in the high end world at the moment. Plus an even stronger focus on what sells, not what pleases the audiophile community. Which could mean more ultra high end gear, more 'populist' stuff like the Muso (populist is all relative!), or similar. Think what Meridian did a few years back when they were acquired by private equity - a move upmarket into the lifestyle arena, away from their traditional roots but still retainign excellent products. Oh and they acquired Soolos (which might have been just before the sale but to my mind was an inextricable part of it).

Hope it works that way and good for them I say. Oh, and no disrespect intended but I am aware of how acquisitions happen. :)

manicm

This isn't news. Cirrus Logic has acquired Wolfson Microelectronics. When this happens inevitably cost-cutting will occur, and audio quality will suffer as we've seen in iPods when the Wolfson chips were replaced.

RIP Wolfson, nice knowing ya.

T

the record spot

Lot of movement in the audio world just now. Phillips has sold one of their divisions, Woox, to Gibson (of guitars fame) who also recently acquired Onkyo and Teac.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
Lot of movement in the audio world just now. Phillips has sold one of their divisions, Woox, to Gibson (of guitars fame) who also recently acquired Onkyo and Teac.

Any link? Thanks.
wink.gif

matthewpiano

A contracting market and an ongoing period of consolidation with the end result that there will probably be less real choice and some brands will more than likely disappear or change beyond recognition.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
A contracting market and an ongoing period of consolidation with the end result that there will probably be less real choice and some brands will more than likely disappear or change beyond recognition.

Yes, it's certainly a changing market, but globalization means the UK is no longer the centre of the hi-fi universe. There's still loads of choice, some of which we've never heard of. JungSon Audio anyone? An 80W Class A amp for 1300 euros!

jungson_ja88d.jpg

And there still plenty of UK brands that continue to make great kit here: Harbeth, Sugden, Neat, Kudos, Rega, Leema, Roksan, Cyrus, Croft, Linn, PMC, ATC, Proac, Spendor, as well as brands that split their manufacturing between the UK and the Far East (Musical Fidelity, B&W etc). I think there's still a lot of choice.

Matt

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I may get a beating over this but UK was never considered worlds best Hi-Fi, at least outside the UK.

Tier 1 - USA.

Tier 2 - Japan, UK.

Tier 3 - Scandinavia, Germany, France, Italy, Serbia, Russia.

I never understood why you guys dislike B&W so much since it is the most successful UK company to carry the torch for the Kingdom against giants like Harman.

matthewpiano

I'm sure the USA makes some very fine hi-fi but are we talking pure quality here, or sales figures? If the former, on what basis is the USA 'Tier 1'?

Furthermore, if the USA hi-fi is Tier 1 and Japanese Tier 2, why the obsession with big battleship Japanese amps and receivers in America?

matthewpiano

Vladimir said:
Everything. Tier 2 and 3 together don't come close to Tier 1 on any aspect.

Really? So you actually think American hi-fi is that far ahead of anything else?

How about some examples then Vladimir, and how about also answering my question about the huge popularity of top of the range Japanese amps and receivers in the USA.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Vladimir said:
Everything. Tier 2 and 3 together don't come close to Tier 1 on any aspect.

Really? So you actually think American hi-fi is that far ahead of anything else?

How about some examples then Vladimir, and how about also answering my question about the huge popularity of top of the range Japanese amps and receivers in the USA.

Your right, Vladimir is talking rubbish.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking Hi-Fi in terms more of stereo not Home Theater and surround.

It could be rubbish. Its just how people outside the UK see it.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I'm thinking Hi-Fi in terms more of stereo not Home Theater and surround.

It could be rubbish. Its just how people outside the UK see it.

The US make some fine hi-fi equipment but they are not in a league of their own, no way. A lot of American hi-fi lovers as matthewpiano says love there Japanese hi-fi as well as their British hi-fi equipment. There are also lots of great European hi-end hi-fi brands which can more than hold their own with the best from around the world. The US is no way in a league of their own.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
UK always had one thing in is favor, small brands with top quality Hi-Fi sound.

For example, Sonneteer, and i've never seen no one mention it around this parts...

I do (see sig) but no one seems to listen :wall:

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@MrReaper182

Same could be said for Tier 3. Example French Focal buying UK's Hi-Fi pride and joy Naim, KEF and Wharfedale are Chinese owned etc. Even Tier 3 has some punch but you are forgeting the scale of things. You can fit all of UK Hi-Fi industry inside Harman International paper clip expenditures.

TRENDING THREADS