Naim DAC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

So does that mean that you would hook up your lap top to a sonos and tehn sonos to DAC?

I am computer based music thickie.......

idc

I disagree manicm that Naim have 'all but given up on the PC as a source'. (EDIT - not true anymore, I stand corrected) From their site it lists the various products that can be connected to the DAC, from ipod to TV and it includes;

"Connect a PC external sound card digital output to play stored or network music"

So all that means is that you need SPDIF to connect to a MAC or PC and you cannot use USB. If you want to connect your PC to the Naim DAC and you do not have SPDIF, as the website states you need a soundcard, so an off board one will do. (EDIT - which after checking is not easy and in reality, unless you have optical/digital coax out on your PC, forget the Naim DAC) Benchmark have taken a different route by adding USB to its DAC1, as has the DACMagic, Beresford etc. So whilst it is not impossible, Naim have gone in an odd direction contrary to other DAC makers.

The route taken to reduce jitter is by buffering and then clocking the data, which is similar to synchronous USB;

"The Naim DAC has more in common with Naim CD players than with conventional external digital to analogue converters. It overcomes the jitter issues of S/PDIF by reading the data into a "rotating" data RAM buffer independently of its timing signal and reading it out again clocked by one of ten extremely low noise, fixed frequency crystal sine-wave oscillators. In terms of system topology, the DAC's rotating memory is analogous to a rotating CD feeding raw data to be re-clocked. The rate at which the memory fills and empties is controlled by the DAC automatically selecting the oscillator that matches the average incoming clock frequency. The data entering the downstream digital filtering and DAC chips is then completely isolated from the incoming S/PDIF jitter."

(EDIT - So why not have a USB connection to PCs as well?) All Naim have done is a different approach to the same problem.

jc1972

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Gander:
So does that mean that you would hook up your lap top to a sonos and tehn sonos to DAC?

I am computer based music thickie.......

Yeah, this is the best way, (it's easy to get carried away with all this 'techno / jitter stuff). But then you just use the sonos controller, which is as good as apple's software, a real delight to use or the free app which makes your i-phone/touch another controller,to listen to your whole cd library without moving off your sofa,( the computer doesn't even have to be on, and can be in a totally different part of your house). And as i've said, with that naim dac was as good, i repeat, maybe better than a cdp costing over 3 grand. I couldn't understand it at the time, still dont, But thats what happened. Also heard the dac in 50k naim setup and it wasn't the weakest link in that setup......... which is still haunting me into maybe selling my flat to get it.

A

Anonymous

idc:Benchmark and their USB DAC are claiming zero jitter as well (though zero may be theoretically possible only). Benchmark do the opposite of Naim and clock the data from the sender (PC primarily) so that the sender has to wait and send data only when the DAC is ready.

idc...are you saying that the Benchmark is an asynchronous dac because to the best of my knowledge the only 2 makes that I have heard of are Wavelength and Ayre. No mention at all about Benchmarks async capabilities in their ad blurb so I think that maybe a little confusion is creeping in here.

manicm

idc:

I disagree manicm that Naim have 'all but given up on the PC as a source'. (EDIT - not true anymore, I stand corrected) From their site it lists the various products that can be connected to the DAC, from ipod to TV and it includes;

"Connect a PC external sound card digital output to play stored or network music"

So all that means is that you need SPDIF to connect to a MAC or PC and you cannot use USB. If you want to connect your PC to the Naim DAC and you do not have SPDIF, as the website states you need a soundcard, so an off board one will do. (EDIT - which after checking is not easy and in reality, unless you have optical/digital coax out on your PC, forget the Naim DAC) Benchmark have taken a different route by adding USB to its DAC1, as has the DACMagic, Beresford etc. So whilst it is not impossible, Naim have gone in an odd direction contrary to other DAC makers.

The route taken to reduce jitter is by buffering and then clocking the data, which is similar to synchronous USB;

"The Naim DAC has more in common with Naim CD players than with conventional external digital to analogue converters. It overcomes the jitter issues of S/PDIF by reading the data into a "rotating" data RAM buffer independently of its timing signal and reading it out again clocked by one of ten extremely low noise, fixed frequency crystal sine-wave oscillators. In terms of system topology, the DAC's rotating memory is analogous to a rotating CD feeding raw data to be re-clocked. The rate at which the memory fills and empties is controlled by the DAC automatically selecting the oscillator that matches the average incoming clock frequency. The data entering the downstream digital filtering and DAC chips is then completely isolated from the incoming S/PDIF jitter."

(EDIT - So why not have a USB connection to PCs as well?) All Naim have done is a different approach to the same problem.

Hi idc, sorry I stand corrected - I meant PC thru USB - I think Naim feels it's not worth the cost and bother to get it to an acceptable level.

As you said PC/Mac should not be a problem, can get an external sound card with spdif out for the former.

idc

raym87:
idc:Benchmark and their USB DAC are claiming zero jitter as well (though zero may be theoretically possible only). Benchmark do the opposite of Naim and clock the data from the sender (PC primarily) so that the sender has to wait and send data only when the DAC is ready.

idc...are you saying that the Benchmark is an asynchronous dac because to the best of my knowledge the only 2 makes that I have heard of are Wavelength and Ayre. No mention at all about Benchmarks async capabilities in their ad blurb so I think that maybe a little confusion is creeping in here.

ray, I accept I could have got this mixed up. The reason why I described is as asynchronous is from a Benchmark engineer's descriptions on another forum, of how the USB part works. I take it that by monitoring the data stream from the source and having a separate clock in the DAC it is working in asynch mode. The DAC controls the data sent to it.

"The Benchmark DAC1 and DAC1 USB are designed with a special clock recovery system that makes jitter irrelevant. The way it works, in simple terms, is - the DAC1 clock is not discretely attached to the signal clock, but instead monitors it and replicates it with an isolated clock which is extremely stable......

USB protocol was not designed to stream data fluently and consistent; it was designed to transfer 'bursts' of data. This is the reason why audio drop out and 'ticks' are common complaints from users of USB audio devices. The DAC1 USB interface software and buffers were designed with this in mind; it 'monitors' the data flow to maintain a consistent and fluid audio stream."

A

Anonymous

So who else has heard the Naim DAC and what are your thoughts?

deit: thanks for the update Andrew
emotion-21.gif

idc

manicm:idc:

Hi idc, sorry I stand corrected - I meant PC thru USB - I think Naim feels it's not worth the cost and bother to get it to an acceptable level.

As you said PC/Mac should not be a problem, can get an external sound card with spdif out for the former.

Yes and I finally found what I couldn't last night means of doing that, the M-Audio Transit, £57 off Amazon. An easy way to connect PC USB to DAC digitally. So my first two EDITs above are wrong.

What Naim, Benchmark, Wavelength and Ayre have done is pretty much eliminate jitter. I now understand that my Fubar USB DAC does suffer from jitter. I get cracks and pops and I am sure clarity and detail can be improved.

Sliced Bread

jc1972:...the guy at the shop said that a good hard drive retrieves data better than a mass produced cd player mechanism's, (which could be right).
It may very well be correct. But I like the way the sales mans comments implies that hard drives are not mass produced and instead hand made with the utmost care
emotion-1.gif

idc

JohnNewman:jc1972:...the guy at the shop said that a good hard drive retrieves data better than a mass produced cd player mechanism's, (which could be right).It may very well be correct. But I like the way his statement implies that hard drives are not mass produced and instead hand made with the utmost care
emotion-1.gif

It is down to error correction. A PC ripping a CD can keep reading it till it is sure it has the correct data. CDPs have one or two scans and then play the result as they are working in 'real time'.

Sliced Bread

idc:
JohnNewman:jc1972:...the guy at the shop said that a good hard drive retrieves data better than a mass produced cd player mechanism's, (which could be right).It may very well be correct. But I like the way his statement implies that hard drives are not mass produced and instead hand made with the utmost care
emotion-1.gif

It is down to error correction. A PC ripping a CD can keep reading it till it is sure it has the correct data. CDPs have one or two scans and then play the result as they are working in 'real time'.

Completely agree...I just find sales talk amusing
emotion-1.gif

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm referring to the shop worker and not JC1972 (Just re-read my e-mail and it does not read well.

jc1972

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
JohnNewman:idc:
emotion-1.gif

Completely agree...I just find sales talk amusing
emotion-1.gif
EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm referring to the shop worker and not JC1972 (Just re-read my e-mail and it does not read well.

No offense taken, i know what your saying," bloody sales pitch", the way he put it might be wrong, But your saying he's right in a way.

Seems like i'm the only one on here to have heard the finnished on sale dac, believe me, if the review in wh-fi doesn't say' the death of the cd player is here ' i'll be very surprised. I know nothing about jitter, dac technology, error correction, but i know i've got decent hearing and that thing sounded superb. Trust me, why would i lie??? (he say's holding both hands out, palms facing up.)

jc1972

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
As i said on me other thread, i literally went to just listen to some speakers to see if it was worth upgrading, now i will be getting a naim system with that dac the center piece! i don't know when, but i will get it!!!

idc

I am like you jc1972, but with me it is I don't know when, but I will get the technology. The cheapest of the non adaptive DACs that I can find is the Wavelength Proteus at £899. Though if I can get one from the US it works out at about £550. It would almost be worth the trip!

A

Anonymous

Craig M.:
if jitter is a big concern and you don't think your dac is dealing with it as well as it could, maybe this would suit. http://www.m2tech.biz/products.html usb to spdif low jitter doodah.

idc, you missed chord from your list of zero jitter dacs!
emotion-5.gif

Just testing out the m2tech device with my Mac Mini now, pretty good results so far and the ability to play music above the mac's 24/96 is a bonus too. Into my recently aquired Chord QBD76 I have never heard digital music sound so good and not a CD player in sight.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
IanS1:Craig M.:
if jitter is a big concern and you don't think your dac is dealing with it as well as it could, maybe this would suit. http://www.m2tech.biz/products.html usb to spdif low jitter doodah.

emotion-5.gif

Just testing out the m2tech device with my Mac Mini now, pretty good results so far and the ability to play music above the mac's 24/96 is a bonus too. Into my recently aquired Chord QBD76 I have never heard digital music sound so good and not a CD player in sight.

have you compared it to an optical cable from the mac on 16/44.1?

the dac is pretty special
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes, I've used an optical cable till now. Not sure if the m2tech is better at 16/44.1 but being able to play up to 24/192 is the main reason I'm using it. I've been playing around with lots of kit lately, hence the reason for not being sure about 16/44.1 Once I get my system back to some sort of norm I'll let you know my thoughts about the 16/44.1

How about you, any thoughts on the m2tech/optical at 16/44.1 ?

A

Anonymous

I liked the Naim DAC a lot even 11 months - and 6 months - ago, and as a confirmed Naim user I liked most of what I heard at the demos, though the issue was slightly confused at the latter dem by the main centre of attraction - the Ovator speakers (also, it would appear, a prototype..). These are my simple thoughts:

1. In the system used, the equivalent CD player (CDS3) sounded as good, but different - more transparent but more coloured, if you can handle that one. Or put another way, the DAC sounded more neutral but kind of busy.

2. The different sources used did make a difference to the tonal colour, but not to the basic fact that the DAC was delivering music. Thus, the HDX sounded a little bright, the CDX2 smoother, the laptop slightly rougher - but the DAC was the overriding factor.

3. I'm put off by the spin involved in Naim's volte-face on DACs. Only Naim users would understand this - in 1992 they made it clear that the most effective way of linking the data transport with the DAC was without a separate onnection - i.e. in the same box with a short link. Now they've got a DAC (nearly) on the market, the line is 'zero jitter with SP-DIF'. I'll believe it when I get it home.

4. The new UnitiQute looks more like what I want - a streamer/simple DAC/internet radio box. Now all they have to do is make one without the amp...

idc

Craig M.:

emotion-5.gif

That looks interesting. From their site

"Most audio interfaces and USB-provided DACs refer the data stream clock to the same USB interface clock, that often suffers a very heavy jitter (short range oscillator frequency variations). Thanks to two quartz precision oscillators used on M2Tech hiFace, clock source for output data stream features a very low jitter. A more stable clock is recovered by DAC S/PDIF receiver; a low jitter produces a very limited sound image distortion and degradation. Phase noise (main responsible for jitter) is also very low: this guarantees a short and long range clock stability, also reinforced by a board supply voltage regulation (e.g. at environmental temperature stability is 2-5ppm approximately, compared to 50-100ppm performed by oscillators normally used on commercial CD players). "

Thing is, all adaptive DACs claim the same thing, that their clock very precisely replicates the senders clock, so reducing jitter to a minimum. I accept that having a more accurate sender clock than the PCs will theoretically help further reduce jitter. It also does not help those with a USB DAC.

I will check out Chord.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
IanS1:Yes, I've used an optical cable till now. Not sure if the m2tech is better at 16/44.1 but being able to play up to 24/192 is the main reason I'm using it. I've been playing around with lots of kit lately, hence the reason for not being sure about 16/44.1 Once I get my system back to some sort of norm I'll let you know my thoughts about the 16/44.1

How about you, any thoughts on the m2tech/optical at 16/44.1 ?

i guess if the ram buffer is doing it's job, then there should be no difference. just a guess though.

A

Anonymous

the chordette is a completely different design compared to the QBD76.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts