Naim 155XS + Naim 152XS WHF review...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys,

I really like this set that I've mentioned above... 155/152 ND5 XS with XP5 XS

Though I'm never swayed by reviews of different magazines, I still do consider them...

i am more confused than swayed reading the WHF review of the power amp and the preamp though...

the earlier series that was reviewed, the 122x and the 150x, received a very good review... Not the same for the new series though...

in fact, I really felt the massive improvement in the new series...

now I understand that WHF is a comparative review, so it compares to its peers and then gives a review... But still I have not been able to side with the WHF review... Then I check, and some other reviewers have also got a similar review...

A review is highly subjective, and everything from the source to the speakers makes a huge difference...

so who sides with it and who doesn't?

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Me too...

but personally I don't have the time and resources and frankly need to audition so many peers unless I'm buying something, which I recently just did...

i know that the higher series Naim is superb! But what I don't get is some people recommending going in for a Nait XS with a power supply, as opposed to a power amp + preamp, because they believe its not good enough... Which I find absurd personally...

I get that the performance improves dramatically by adding a FlatCap... But without it it isn't a slouch!

The only reason I've only gone in for Naim, is because I love the sonic signature so much, that I don't want to purchase anything else, but I definitely do give everything else a listen...

But I struggle to find a basis for why WHF has said what it's said...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
But I think the logical reason behind me buying Naim is because of the sheer strength of their sources...

and I've always seen through the little experience that I've had... Electronics in a synergy... work the best... Which is why I've been "all naim" right from the up to the down...

And also use their cable...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
After reading much more, and actually having heard the Nait XS and the separates...

I really cannot understand how anyone could find the the integrated to have a better sound than the separates...

The separates are definitely better because of the isolation they have...

I would love more input...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
First I would put your views under "Your Opinion" under the Naim Review on this site.

Reviews are just a guide, not everything is the same, when did they review the last Naim power amp, were the reviewers the same persons, there are lots of variables.

Main complaint was dynamics and not very natural. A power amp for £1,100 and only 60W.

Could WHF please put the review date on reviews on this site this will help when looking through to see how current they are.

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Ketan,

yes, I think the same too... I really can't understand how even logically (unless you're comparing £2000 separates vs 7000 integrateds) an integrated could sound better than the separates...

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply...

yes I know I should've done that...

i don't trust reviews more than them just being a guide for what to audition...

But, what I'm thinking about, is the criticism and the pros being somewhat similar to my observations when I audition it, but they are not...

yes, compared to the Classic Series Naim the XS series would lack the dynamics and a revealing character with natural timbre reproduction, but honestly... And I'm trying my best not to be biased, I didn't feel that... In fact, I had complaints with the integrated... Which has been reviewed as a 5 star product.

there has to be some common ground...

also, speaking of the reviewing, it would really be nice if we know what kit they use to audition specific products... I highly doubt they would have used the CDs3 as a source and this through the ATC SCM 19s... It's just hard to take in the right context I feel... Not for a second saying i am doubting the credibility of the reviews... Just confused of the context...

TRENDING THREADS