stowee

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,Im new to the forum. My system consists of:

Nad c540 cd, Sony mds-jb940 minidisc

Nad c370 amp, c270 power amp, qed 2 interconnects

B&W cdm1 se, qed original bi-wire,

Rel Quake Sub

After giving up with having Nad amps repaired again I felt I needed an amp upgrade. I felt the pre amp route was the next move, I have just invested in roksan caspian pre and stereo amp as looked a good buy on ebay at the moment, my first impression was hmm a very similar sound to nad(playing cd) but after some warm up the detail and clarity started to shine, however, after my ears got used to the sound im thinking wow where the Nad amps that good there is more detail and dynamics with roksan but I feel my system sounds quite bright as when I put on a mini disc the sound is so much warmer and sounds better which makes me think is the cd player still giving me this distinctive nad sound? or is it the qed interconnects, Im going to invest in roksans own interconnect soon.but not sure how much difference the interconnect makes, Maybe im getting ahead of myself but I felt my b&w's would sound a bit softer, some cd's seem to shound really sharp if you know what I me? Im guessing mini disc should not sound better as this is compressed?Problem is now I live so far from a good hi fi retailer I cannot test maybe a new cd player or interconnects. Any advice would be much appreciated, oh is there such a thing as amp run in time, I keep thinking sound of amp is changeing only ran amp 5hrs.

SteveR750

stowee:
Hi Guys,Im new to the forum. My system consists of:

Nad c540 cd, Sony mds-jb940 minidisc

Nad c370 amp, c270 power amp, qed 2 interconnects

B&W cdm1 se, qed original bi-wire,

Rel Quake Sub

After giving up with having Nad amps repaired again I felt I needed an amp upgrade. I felt the pre amp route was the next move, I have just invested in roksan caspian pre and stereo amp as looked a good buy on ebay at the moment, my first impression was hmm a very similar sound to nad(playing cd) but after some warm up the detail and clarity started to shine, however, after my ears got used to the sound im thinking wow where the Nad amps that good there is more detail and dynamics with roksan but I feel my system sounds quite bright as when I put on a mini disc the sound is so much warmer and sounds better which makes me think is the cd player still giving me this distinctive nad sound? or is it the qed interconnects, Im going to invest in roksans own interconnect soon.but not sure how much difference the interconnect makes, Maybe im getting ahead of myself but I felt my b&w's would sound a bit softer, some cd's seem to shound really sharp if you know what I me? Im guessing mini disc should not sound better as this is compressed?Problem is now I live so far from a good hi fi retailer I cannot test maybe a new cd player or interconnects. Any advice would be much appreciated, oh is there such a thing as amp run in time, I keep thinking sound of amp is changeing only ran amp 5hrs.

I managed to understand that far.

Is the Caspian brighter or warmer than the NAD, those descriptions are usually opposite.

And yes map run in time does make a difference

stowee

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I ment the caspians sound as bright as nads when running nad cd, however when playing sony mini disc the system not as bright, im wondering if maybe cd player change or nads very similar to roksan, if makes sense?

A

Anonymous

you have ample speakers and interconnects. if anything you may want to upgrade you speakers in the future but the most important thing you have to do is ditch minidisc. minidisc is why your music sounds warm and not how it should.

matthewpiano

The Roksan deserves a better source than either MD or your NAD player. Book some time with your dealer to audition either new CD players or lossless streaming devices. If the quality isn't there at the source end you are never going to hear it. The amp and speakers can't 'improve' an inadequate source!

stowee

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Guys thanks for replys, will have to find Roksan dealer and take cd player with me and compare other players, so am I right in thinking mini disc is compressed audio? Ive seen 2nd hand caspian players at less than 300 pounds however caspian m series much dearer, has anyone ever compared the two? or is any advice on player brands that go well with roksan, b&w under a grand? Ive also just read qed interconnects can sound a little bright but maybe worth looking at after improved source Also Im confussed as what are lossless sources, is this possiable with caspian analouge amps? cheers

Without doubt your source needs looking at first, but why just the Roksan Caspian?

Not heard the Caspian player, but the amp is fabulous. I would look at something in the region of an Exposure 2010S, which is brilliant for the money, and is far cheaper than the Caspian M-Series.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts