NAD M5 CD/SACD player vs. Rega Saturn CDP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Brought a few CDs and visit the Hi-Fi store to audtion the Saturn. Forgot to introduce, I am using Rega Apollo CDP, NAD M3 Int. Amp, Focus Audio FC7 speakers.

The store owner suggested me to listen to the NAD M5 as well. I don't have much SACDs (maybe 10 or so) so I would focus on the CD feature. But I have to admit that NAD M5 & M3 together looks so cool. Anyway, the audition environment includes NAD M3 Int. Amp, and Sonus Faber Concerto Loudspeakers.

NAD M5 - I found the sound a bit too warm, not wide (open) enough. But the vocal really stands out ~ it seems like vocal is "pushed" to in front of me. Nice.

Rega Saturn ~ oh...Saturn is on special promotion and even the store model is gone. The owner hooked up a Rega Apollo 35th Anniversary for me to listen. Hmm, what can I say ~ could be my perception but it sounds & feels like the Apollo I have at home, except with slightly added clarity. I like the sound as I do at home, as always, but no surprise.

I have a few concerns with both CDP and would like to have your opinions if possible. NAD ~ made in China, the CD tray may not be good, but would it work perfectly with my M3? Rega ~ made in UK (cool), Top loading CD (good), but how much improvement over Apollo, does it worth the extra bucks if I am keeping my Amp & speakers for the next year or so?

A

Anonymous

I think you should audition Rega Saturn just in case you find it better. I think that NAD master series has 5 year warranty instead of 2 for classic. That will keep you covered for quite some time. System synergy could possibly be better if you choose the M5. So maybe make up your mind after you listen to the rega.

A

Anonymous

keep the cd player and upgrade the speakers to the SFs you heard in the store

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts