Nad D3020 & Dynaudio DM 2/7

gasolin

Would a Nad d3020 & Dynaudio DM 2/7 be a good combination the speakers are 4 ohm my amp is still 2x30 watt but peak power goes from 65watt to 105watt, the dynaudio is only 86 db my bostons are 89db

Trying to find a subwoofer for my bostons and having a hard time 10-12", thigh deep bass,200watt rms no hum from the amp when theres no sound and a high pass filter.

Was considering new speakers although a subwoofer can give alot more bass compared to new speaker with max 7" woofer and then again theres no need to find the right crossover and level with new speakers compared to a subwoofer

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
With the NAD D3020 the best choice in the Dynaudio range it will be the Excite X..4, they were design with digital amps in mind. More, the world presentation of the new Excite Range were with the NAD D3020.

Like the Excite X..2, the Excite X..4 have a very linear response, never getting under the 4ohm load, being more easy to drive that the DM range.

gasolin

Dynaudio excite x14 is 8 ohm and only 85db where the Dynaudio DM 2/7 is 4 ohm and 86db also the DM 2/7 gets a higher rating in whathifi then Excite X14

What's more a problem is here in denmark the home of Dynaudio the DM 2/7 costs 488£,602€ where the excite X14 costs 814£,1004€ (the same as the Kef LS50) and the price for the Excite X14 is way to much, when a Nad 3020D is able to handle 2 ohm speakers (like the old classic nad 3020) 4 ohm speakers wouldn't be a problem

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You asked if DM2/7 would be a good combination for the new NAD D3020, the only thing i've said was that in dynaudio range there was a better model for the job. Thinked and design with digital amps in mind.

matthewpiano

The DM series aren't all that hard to drive, and were actually specifically designed so that they could used with a wide range of amplification. More crucial with these speakers is that they need careful placement on very solid stands and with plenty of room to breathe. 50cm MINIMUM from the rear wall and side walls to sound their best. The 2/6s, thus placed, are lovely speakers - very natural with plenty of insight and probably the best treble performance I've heard from a reasonably priced speaker. The 2/7s have a bassier balance so placement will be even more crucial.

gasolin

matthewpiano said:
The DM series aren't all that hard to drive, and were actually specifically designed so that they could used with a wide range of amplification. More crucial with these speakers is that they need careful placement on very solid stands and with plenty of room to breathe. 50cm MINIMUM from the rear wall and side walls to sound their best. The 2/6s, thus placed, are lovely speakers - very natural with plenty of insight and probably the best treble performance I've heard from a reasonably priced speaker. The 2/7s have a bassier balance so placement will be even more crucial.

I like a bit more bass and except for 1 " taller it's the same size as my boston A26, also i have heard the DM 2/6 has some problems i think it was because of the cabinet (tried with no luck to find the test,review where someone was talking about it) with midbass.

matthewpiano

No problems with mid-bass on the DM2/6. They are very even and beautifully integrated speakers when you place them correctly, as are the 2/7s though as I say the larger model needs even more care with placement.

gasolin

I am also concerned about the sensivtivity as the dm 2/6 has 84 db in sensitivity http://www.soundandvision.com/content/dynaudio-dm-26-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures might look at B&W cm 5 if they can be bought for half price used (good sensitivity)

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
outlaw is right re: excite range with its updated 8 ohm crossover. Xeo is essentially an Excite with active class D amps. However, I'm a big fan of the DMs and mathew's description is spot on. They are excellent performers at their price point and will deliver quality bass. The very lowest bass notes tail off a little as you would expect from a small enclosure, but a kick drum can be felt in the chest cavity! I did try mine with the Creek 50A but bass was dry and vocals recessed compared to my elderly Meridian so it went back. Cannot guess how it would fare with the NAD, but they can certainly deliver especially vocal timbre and tone. My first hifi back in 1973 was a Danish B&O. In this world of outsourcing to Asia, it good to see Dynaudio and Dali manufacture all components in house. A quality product.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You can always try to demo the DM 2/7 with your amp! But Dynaudio speakers are not knowned by being easy to drive, so NAD D3020 will not drive them properly.

I used to have a Brio R driving my X12, it did a nice job but never got the best from them.

My Pathos Classic One with is 70wpc and being a classe A amp can drive the X12 very well, especialy in the low frequencies, I think that the DM 2/7 having a bigger woofer, and producing more bass that the X12 they will need a better amp to controle them in that department.

Dynaudio speakers deserve eficient amps, they can give so much for the price, i've heard more expensive speakers with expensive amps and did came close to the sound quality I have at this moment, DM range is a bit harder to drive that the Excite range, keep that in mind.

My opinion is, get other speaker and keep the NAD, OR sell the NAD if you want to buy the Dyns, but you eventually will came to that conclusion if you demo the combo.

gasolin

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
You can always try to demo the DM 2/7 with your amp! But Dynaudio speakers are not knowned by being easy to drive, so NAD D3020 will not drive them properly.

I used to have a Brio R driving my X12, it did a nice job but never got the best from them.

My Pathos Classic One with is 70wpc and being a classe A amp can drive the X12 very well, especialy in the low frequencies, I think that the DM 2/7 having a bigger woofer, and producing more bass that the X12 they will need a better amp to controle them in that department.

Dynaudio speakers deserve eficient amps, they can give so much for the price, i've heard more expensive speakers with expensive amps and did came close to the sound quality I have at this moment, DM range is a bit harder to drive that the Excite range, keep that in mind.

My opinion is, get other speaker and keep the NAD, OR sell the NAD if you want to buy the Dyns, but you eventually will came to that conclusion if you demo the combo.

I like my nad d3020 (wanted a small amp on my desk) , having a hard time finding a subwoofer for my bostons with the limited of new and used subwoofers in denmark.

Was reading about the Dynaudios and thought they might be what i should look at if i want to get new speakers, instead of trying to find a subwoofer, also so i don't get any problems with crossover,levels,phase and the DM 2/7 is with in my price limited

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nothing like give it a go with the DM 2/7, you know your amp and only you can say what he does right.

From the first moment your hear it with the Dyns you'll know.

We are here not to cause problems, we are here to avoid them! :grin:

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts