NAD....CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME ?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
nad has always been one of those brands i have dismissed...........probably due to their drab appearance until i recently read the review on the 316bee amp.............now all of a sudden something has clicked and been scrolling their website and noticed that they hardly get a bad review.........can nad owners let me know which best amp/cd combos to go for and even which are the best secondhand models to choose..........thanks guys

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Appearances can be deceptive, they are the only brand I consider for amplifiers. Personal preference of course, but for me the NAD sound is the perfect balance of refined detail combined with effortless slam and impact.

They offer all of the features you could ever want in an amp, pre outs, sub outs, well designed and bypassable tone controls, very healthy power outputs which are much more impressive than the on paper figures, plenty of inputs, remote control, nice sounding headphone outputs... For me they give you everything you could want as well as clean powerful refined sound.

Second hand I'd check out the C370 amp. It's one of the standout NAD amplifiers for me. Just try and get a serviced one for piece of mind as they are getting on a bit.

New ones I can vouch for the C326BEE, that's what I have now and I love it. In comparison to my old C350 the newer amps sound a bit more forward in the upper midrange and a bit tighter in the bass. Generally a more open and possibly more accurate presentation. Still typical NAD in the bass department (lots of it).

Also many now come with built in DACs and various digital inputs which in today's world is a very useful feature and it'll be the way everything goes eventually.

Okay -- I've never been an owner of Enn Aye Dee - that's not me trying to be funny or clever. However, when JD attended a Enn Aye Dee promotional thing he gave a verdict on that particular product and originally said NAD, but Simon Lucas, allegedly, corrected him and told him to pronounce by the letters otherwise he would have a cessation of his weekly chocolate quota (all right the last bit was a bit jokey) - but have heard quite a few over the years.

They do appeal to a certain market, hence why they look a little nondescript. They are keenly priced and have adequate features; the sound quality is good and ballsy, but for my taste they are too bass orientated. I have in the past likened them to a Ford XR3i -- good on performance but lack the finesse (build and SQ-wise) of other brands IMHO.

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I owned a NAD 3020 for twenty years and loved it. I rue the day I sold it, still in mint condition, for about twenty quid! On the strength of my experience with the 3020, I bought a NAD 316 at the beginning of last year, having not owned a hi-fi for ten years. At the start, all was well, but after the unit had 'run in' for about a month, the sound became very dull and it seemed to lose all brightness. I was cranking the treble control just to get respectably clear mids and any sort of top end...

...not sure I would venture willingly back into the NAD fold after that experience!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
unhalfbricking said:
I bought a NAD 316 at the beginning of last year, having not owned a hi-fi for ten years. At the start, all was well, but after the unit had 'run in' for about a month, the sound became very dull and it seemed to lose all brightness. I was cranking the treble control just to get respectably clear mids and any sort of top end...

...not sure I would venture willingly back into the NAD fold after that experience!

You'll see in this video that the 315BEE had quartz halogen light bulbs as part of it's circuit ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO58rNwo1g8

... they are contained in what looked like two silver cylindrical capacitor housings.

It appears that your 316BEE had them as well ...

NAD-c316bee-i1.jpg

(Two silver cylindrical housings in the same place as on the 315BEE video.)

Is it possible that one or more of those bulbs blew causing the lucklustre sound afterwards?

They are part of what NAD called 'PowerDrive' ...

http://www.audioproducts.com.au/downloadcenter/DOCs//PDFs/NAD/mousetrap.pdf

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I have ever heard a bad NAD amp.

I wouldn't call them bass heavy, not sure where they have got this reputation from...they just drive/control speakers well.

The C370 is one of my favourites although the susequent C372 is no slouch either but it just lost something over the C370 IMO. The basic C316BEE sounds good for what it is along with the C352 and many more. I like some of their really old ones too like the NAD 3150 & 3140, one of my least favourites is the 3020 *shok*

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Can i start buy saying you are right, Nad have never been good looking gear, But the idea is they spend the money on the inside, the plain looks are always not to everyones taste but from my experience for your cash a Nad will always give you a performance well above its price point. I had a NAD C352 amp a fews years ago, they give an all round performance great detail timing and bass, the bass as mentioned can be i bit over powering with some matching gear. but i would say for your cash it will be hard to beat. i.v moved on to Rotel and Arcam now but always remember my first set up a nad C352 amp C325 cd player, you cant go wrong with a nad, try audition them. they seem to punch above their weight when tested with other gear in same price point.

I would never discourage anyone from buying Nad, but based on my own experiences I wouldn't spend my money on a Enn Aye Dee.

Back in 2005, when I was looking to upgrade my Alpha 7R, I auditioned (same shop) the 352, Rotel RA-02 and Arcam A65+. The Nad demonstrated more power than the other two and was more or less on par, it was the extra bass that I couldn't live with on a long-term basis. The Arcam had better dynamics, more neutral tonal qualities and crucially... a built-in phono stage for the TT, which the Nad didn't.

Nads heard over recent years: 320BEE, 352 and 355BEE.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
When I grew up my father had a (then current) NAD 3020B with a Rega turntable, later a NAD 5425 CD player driving AR28's. I grew up with an impression of NAD sound.

I long since moved on to other hifi pastures only to recently buy a D3020 (unauditioned) because it suited my needs and we have a NAD dealer in town...

So to me it sounds very 'familiar'. It is punchy and somehow comforting to listen to. I know it has a different layout to most 'classic' NAD amps with its Class D and everything, but somehow I found it to sound instantly likeable. I'm definately a NAD fan now. Probably not the last word in 'high fidility' but I don't care really, I just really enjoy my music through this system.

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Is it possible that one or more of those bulbs blew causing the lucklustre sound afterwards?

They are part of what NAD called 'PowerDrive' ...

Not sure. There was no obvious loss of power, just this gradual sense that the sound was becoming increasingly flat and dull. It's a shame. The amp sounded great at the in-store demo: nice punchy bass, good detail, great tonal balance. Byfour weeks in, however, it was unlistenable. I should have taken it back, but there was no really obvious 'fault' and I wondered whether I was just being 'picky'.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
eggontoast said:

I wouldn't call them bass heavy, not sure where they have got this reputation from...they just drive/control speakers well.

I agree they are not bass heavy, however they do have a full and rich bottom end which some other comparable brands may lack.

The NAD sound couldn't be described as 'lean' which is a good thing in my opinion.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
eggontoast said:

I agree they are not bass heavy, however they do have a full and rich bottom end which some other comparable brands may lack.

The NAD sound couldn't be described as 'lean' which is a good thing in my opinion.

I agree completely. Never been a Cyrus fan which to me is the other end of the spectrum. Music needs to be involving and warm rather than hard and sterile, understanding that there is still room for spaciousness and detail.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
You can throw all your experience or preconceptions about NAD kit out of the window when it comes to their Master Series components.

I've never been tempted by their amps and wasn't keen on their house sound, until I heard their M2 digital integrated from their upmarket range. Build quality is completely different to the normal ranges, with solid heavy duty everywhere, inside and out. Sound quality wise, it's in a different league, but can be ruthlessly revealing with poor material.

I've no idea if any of the Master Series quality has been trickled down to their newer mainstream products though.

matthewpiano

I went through a NAD phase and I've owned both C325BEE and C326BEE amps as well as the C521BEE and C545BEE CD players. Very enjoyable sounding kit although I wouldn't go back to it now - my current gear has plenty of warmth but much more clarity than NAD and a more balanced overall sound.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I went through a NAD phase and I've owned both C325BEE and C326BEE amps as well as the C521BEE and C545BEE CD players. Very enjoyable sounding kit although I wouldn't go back to it now - my current gear has plenty of warmth but much more clarity than NAD and a more balanced overall sound.

I'm still in my NAD phase....I have a NAD C320BEE and i love the warm punchy sound everyone mentions, i temper that hint of muddyness by pairing them with MA BX2's and i find the combination very pleasing indeed - cheap as chips too!

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
thnks guys some interesting answers ..............if i go for nad it will be the upper end integrateds or the pre power combo tested on here........i thinks its the 275/165 pre power ? only thing is as some of you say if the bass is heavy it may be too much for my cm1s as they can sound a tad botom heavy and rich so with nad they may be a bit too much, but I will put my ears about and have a listen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts