NAD C390DD - What HiFi Review???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
The Absolute Sound just published a review of the NAD C390DD. Last line of review: "I can't think of another integrated amp anywhere near the C390DD's price that I'd rather own". That's a rave.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired said:
The Absolute Sound just published a review of the NAD C390DD. Last line of review: "I can't think of another integrated amp anywhere near the C390DD's price that I'd rather own". That's a rave.

I really need to audition this amp!

manicm

the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:
the record spot said:
And somehow, NAD still managed to make the damn thing look like a NAD...

You see, I think that is a good thing. I like the NAD look and I actually much prefer the look of my 326 to the Marantz 6004 design. I like the looks of the new C390DD and if I had that sort of money I'd audition it in a flash.

Different strokes eh Matthew! Unfortunately, I think they've managed to make a pig's ear out of a silk purse. I'll take the Marantz anyday, lol!

They really should summarily shoot the amp's designer - I'd actually prefer it if they made it one plain block design instead of that dumb curve.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:
the record spot said:

You see, I think that is a good thing. I like the NAD look and I actually much prefer the look of my 326 to the Marantz 6004 design. I like the looks of the new C390DD and if I had that sort of money I'd audition it in a flash.

Different strokes eh Matthew! Unfortunately, I think they've managed to make a pig's ear out of a silk purse. I'll take the Marantz anyday, lol!

They really should summarily shoot the amp's designer - I'd actually prefer it if they made it one plain block design instead of that dumb curve.

Are you talking about the NAD or the Marantz? If NAD, then yes I 100% agree. The curve in upper part of the face plate just looks silly. Otherwise it would look ok.

manicm

Ajani said:
manicm said:
the record spot said:
matthewpiano said:
the record spot said:

Are you talking about the NAD or the Marantz? If NAD, then yes I 100% agree. The curve in upper part of the face plate just looks silly. Otherwise it would look ok.

The NAD, seems they give the good drugs to the Master series, and give the rest cheap swill.

A

Anonymous

I see audio affair have it for under £2k. Someone hide my credit card!

prutten

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
hi Lord Grace,

I am using the Sonus Faber Auditor Ms to my great satisfaction with this Amp. I have auditioned the NAD 390dd with Dynaudio (e.g., Contour S1.4 but also S.3.4 and Focus 260), Dali and KEF. Dynaudio and DALI were both also quite convincing. I concluded I am less enamoured by the KEFs (too bright for my tastes, although they were quite forward and perhaps more suited for people who are not listening to classical music as much as me). I can highly recommend the combination with the SFs - I am still in the process of rediscovering my CD-collection with a lot of pleasure, my old CDs never sounded so exciting, fresh and new. Now this is probably due to both speakers and amplifier but I think this is a well-matched combination.

One of the big benefits I now am also notiicing in the NAD was actually that I am also using my digital TV sources (cable + DVD) as input for my amp + speakers. This has made a huge difference in quality. The HDMI inputs on the NAD add a lot of value from my perspective. Since I was originally only expecting to upgrade my sound system itself this was a big and unexpected plus!

Regards

A

Anonymous

Any sign of the review sample? Anyone using this amp - how you getting on?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
lordgrace said:
Any sign of the review sample? Anyone using this amp - how you getting on?

Have had a sample for a Gramophone review for a while – it's in the October issue, on sale September 3.

It's now been passed on to WHFSV review team, but I'm not sure whether it's been scheduled yet.

A

Anonymous

Just read the review in the downloadable Gramophone issue. WOW!!

A

Anonymous

:) It really does seem to have it all. Simply add a half decent pair of speakers and streamer of choice

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
While waiting for the WHF review, we could always read Robert Harley's opinion, on the Absolute Sound website. Can't manage to create a hyperlink :doh:

Who-ever is interested can paste this link: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/nad-c-390dd-direct-digital-integrated-amplifier-tas-224/. Enjoy!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
DocG said:
While waiting for the WHF review, we could always read Robert Harley's opinion, on the Absolute Sound website.

Well yes, we could, but for obvious reasons I would much rather we read the Gramophone review. :)

You read it? I'll have a look there too, then!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I just got to know about this amplifier and one of my very trustworthy dealer has told me some good things about it. I am hoping that I have enough balls to spend this money on this amplifier.

It is just that I am used to have a lot of kilos of equipment for that sort of money (Even HK-990 at less than half price gives me 24kgs ;) and all the goodies. Ofcourse it is a different story why HK990 is a fail for me)

I need to audition this soon!

SteveR750

Hmmm

Caspian M2 + Chord QUTE is a similar price to one of these, but the NAD has a lot mor flexibility with inputs (apart from no analogue of course).

I don't actually have any analogue only boxes anymore, just a laptop (USB or optical) freesat box (optical) and Sony DVD again optical.

That's it all covered then!

I can feel a rather important demo coming up!

SteveR750

jaxwired said:
Steve, the NAD C390 has an optional card that can be installed to accept analogue inputs. I believe it has both XLR and RCA jacks.

Thanks Jax, I'd realised that after I posted d'oh!

I'm intrigued by the HDMI input - I'm not interested in 5.1

I've contacted a well known dealer in Brum trying to organise a demo of this, vs my system with a "super DAC" vs the Linn Majestik DS. (and any other streamer/DAC amps they have kicking about).

trouble is my heart has already bought the NAD......

SteveR750

I have just organised a home demo through HiFi Gear, should get it by Wednesday next week. The demo unit is comeing direct from NAD's importers, if I want to keep it they'll swap it out for a brand new one. Just got to make my mind up before the CC bill is due!

That's blown next year's summer holiday :doh:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts