nad c355bee or Exposure2010 for hard rock / metal

opium

May 30, 2010
Visit site
after a long wait ill be able to upgrade my amp in a month. i am considering any of the two

nad c355bee (80watt) or Exposure2010 (non-s old version 50watt) 

question is, is exposure a step above nad even for comparatively lower power. or will i be better of with higher watt nad for driving speakers better at lower volume. 

speaker is Monitor Audio br5,  which i may upgrade to something more fuller like Dynaudio later, not in near future though.source is dacmagic, music mostly rock to metal

thx for any advice..

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I am contacting you because you are looking for a new amp as I am. Been 30 years since I studied hi-fi and so much has changed - not the same now all I-pod and rubbish, people do not show their true colours easilly - total music power is tosh, wpc is my language, THD and freq response together with wow and flutter is a forbidden language ? Help. I walked into store few years ago and brought dearest Technics system they had - not best move I ever made - because I thought they were as good as they were 30 years ago - wrong.

- I need advice an good ( not £'s worth of rubbish for £'s sake ) quality amp that does not sound computorised and shallow - then speakers to match.

- Sorry to burdon you with my problem but with few years head down working the world of propper hi-fi has already got a head start on me !

docking stations - I ask you ! :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Exposure, all day long. It's in a different league to the Nad. HOWEVER, as great as the 2010 is,if I was going to get an Exposure integrated amp, it would be the XXV. it's amazing. Second-hand, you'd get one for between £350 - £450.

opium

May 30, 2010
Visit site
thanks guys for the advices,

seems like exposure is the way to go, will certainly do more research on various models

poldo, can you compare and describe a little the sound of exposure and nad with MonitorAudio and what you didnt like, wouldnt certainly want a mismatch and speaker upgrade need outright...

thx..

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
opium:

thanks guys for the advices,

seems like exposure is the way to go, will certainly do more research on various models

poldo, can you compare and describe a little the sound of exposure and nad with MonitorAudio and what you didnt like, wouldnt certainly want a mismatch and speaker upgrade need outright...

thx..

i listen to alot of heavy metel, iron maiden/rammstein/paradise lost/filth etc on my setup below and it sounds awsome.

A

Anonymous

Is there a reason that you wouldnt go for the 2010s? Im just wondering as im in the market for a new amp myself

opium

May 30, 2010
Visit site
i think the present version thats available as new is 2010s2. certain comments on the web say old 2010 to be more organic and better but the newer one has more power. and theres one old2010 on ebay now with worldwide shipping outside europe so i was considering going the 2ndhand route and save some cash..or may even look for XXV

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
There's a XXV on the 'Bay. The seller states that he won't send abroad, but you may be able to thrash out a deal with him.

EXPOSURE XXV

Ooh, actually, scratch that. If you're willing to spend £700-odd on a 2010, then don't. Get THESE instead. They'll be all you'll ever need. They aint a million miles behind my Exposures, in terms of performance. They will, without any shadow of a doubt, kill any new amp under the 2 grand mark. Leema, Naim, Roksan, Arcam, Cyrus and the like? Eats 'em all alive.

The guy is being a little optimistic with his pricing, so i'd go in with an offer of £600. I wouldn't let them get away, though, even if I had to pay full price.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I'd agree with bretty on trying to get hold of an older (original Farlowe) exposure model if you can - the XXV is a great integrated amp. That older IV model on ebay is a very early model which I'd personally avoid. The later model IV's were very much better with 2 separate transformers/ regulated power supplies - if you can find anybody wanting to sell one. I used to have exposure XVIII amps working with dynaudios and they seemed to work very well together, but I don't know your MA's well enough to comment.

opium

May 30, 2010
Visit site
thanks bretty and wireman,

seems like there are many models and makes, need to lookup more..new exposure would be a bit stretch though ..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts