NAD C326BEE does it need to burn/run in?

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I've just unboxed my new NAD C326BEE, it is replacing my oldC350 which has stopped working.

Doed this amp need to run in? Just it sounds like the upper midrange and lower treble sound very forward compared to my old amp. The reviews for the C360BEE say it is bass heavy, but compared to my C350 it sounds a bit lacking to be honest. Maybe my ageing C350 was sounding a bit soft and wooly with age and I'm just used to that presentation now. I just hope this new amp isn't going to be so fatiguing.

I haven't even had an hours use out of the new amp yet, but I'm sick of hearing it I've just turned it off.

My old amp sounded very smooth and easy to listen to, yet still very dynamic and had enough detail to satisfy me. The new one has given me a headache in half an hour and a just found myself skipping through a playlist rather than wanting to sit and listen, it seems so "in yer face" if you know what I mean?

I have a Sony CDP-XB930 CD player, iPod touch with Arcam iR dock and B&W DM 601 S3 speakers. QED qunex silver spiral and qunex2 interconnects and silver anniversary biwire speaker cable.

I appreciate any advice thanks! I'm hoping after a few hours the sound will tame down a bit and become more natural.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Ur not the first, or would u be the last to say this. Countless times on this forum, anyone moving from old amps to the very lastest ones say the very same thing. Bright & forward. welcome to the new world of thin sounding amps.. Only use reviews as a guide. Make sure u always audition at home.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your replys folks :)

I'm hoping that once I give it a chance it will settle down or I'll get used to it. I used to love a forward sound but these days I seem to be favouring warm rich tones. Which going by the reviews from the press and regular people on the net this is exactly what this amp should be.

I haven't been able to give it anymore use as yet, I have other people I the house who don't always want to hear my music. I will plug my sennheiser's in later and have a couple of hours with it and get it warmed up.

There are no NAD dearlers close to me so auditioning wasn't really an option, I just thought it would be a safe bet. My old amp was quite possibly sounding a touch soft after 13 years maybe.

Thanks again, I will report back after I have givin it some proper use. :)

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
rymidd said:
yes mine sounded alot better after 30 hours. Before burn in it may sound a bit thin.

It's certainly a bit thin compared to my c320, that was a rich smooth powerhouse. This c326BEE is very full on in comparison. It sounds nothing like the warm bassy side of neutral amp that I've read about. Just had it on for a couple of hours there and I dunno if I'm just listening for faults but the sound is grating on me.

It's not all bad, vocals and guitars are incredibly clear, but the overall sonic picture sounds a bit sharp and strident. The lowest bass notes don't seem to have the power and definition that I'm used to.

Over the next couple of days if it doesn't improve it's going back unfortunately. Maybe a second hand c350 is what I'll have to look out for.

rymidd

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
on my nad c326 i used the tone controls to up the bass , i know this amp has a reputation for being to bass heavy. i never found it to heavy on bass. but the bass is very fast and tight . when i first got mine i was not sure about it because it sounded a bit hollow out of the box. but with 20 to 30 hours there was more warmth to the sound. but it might be a system matching problem i had the quad 11L speakers which may be warmer sounding to the b&w 601 s3 which i also used to have.

T

the record spot

I think the only "new" amp I've had of late was the Onkyo TX-8050 and that has a very neutral presentation, so if you're using bright electronics with it, then it'll sound bright, or woolly or whatever. Depends on the source music too. In your case, I'd leave the amp on for a day while you're around, not listen to it, and then give it another whirl. I should make it clear I don't necessarily buy in to the whole "burn-in" thing, a couple of hours tops for me, the rest if maybe you getting used to the new sound of your amp.

My main amp stock comes from Ebay or Gumtree by and large and it's reaped dividends overt the years (Sansui AU-217 / 717, Sony TA-F630ESD, Harman Kardon HK6850). Quality has been way above what I'd look to spend, but the usual caveats apply with used and/or vintage gear.

A

Anonymous

Hi MeanandGreen

I've had a NAD C350 for 10 years, which I'd also describe as powerful, solid sounding, very warm and detailed (which I'm in the midst of upgrading if I can find something I like!). If you end up taking the NAD back, you could try Rotel, they've often been similar to NAD in terms of characteristics i.e. warm, musical, dynamic - have a look at the Rotel RA-10, £350. WhatHiFi gave it their 'Awards 2012 Product of the Year - Stereo amplifiers'.

Thanks

miggyboys said:
Hi MeanandGreen

I've had a NAD C350 for 10 years, which I'd also describe as powerful, solid sounding, very warm and detailed (which I'm in the midst of upgrading if I can find something I like!). If you end up taking the NAD back, you could try Rotel, they've often been similar to NAD in terms of characteristics i.e. warm, musical, dynamic - have a look at the Rotel RA-10, £350. WhatHiFi gave it their 'Awards 2012 Product of the Year - Stereo amplifiers'.

Thanks

From all the Rotels I've heard they ain't warm. Still own RCD 975 and is a fabulous sounding CDP, but isn't as smotth as the Arcam, which has similar sonic traits to Nad and Creek.

A

Anonymous

I heard similar sharp and strident quality when I had one in my system briefly, ran it in for about 150 hours with no real change so I returned it. I've had a lot of unlistenable amps that I wanted to turn down or simply off and "break in" didn't fix that problem with any of them. I suspect if you like the older nad sound you'll likely need to search for an SS amp that most people think overly warm these days.

Been through a bunch of amps myself with a pair of vienna acoustics bach (old model) speakers: harmon kardon 3490, peachtree, marantz pm, nad c326, rega brio-r, yba, pioneer av. The Harmon Kardon and peachtree are the only two that didn't constantly assault the ears with steely violins, horns with too much bite, and a generally hard, artificial and unnatural treble -- both these amps had a full, warm sound with smooth mids and highs that allowed you to listen happily on and on.

If you want something clearer, faster, and more detailed you might try the pioneer a-30, a-40, a-50 integrateds, as do I find my pioneer av receiver to be very detailed and lively in the treble (none of the murkiness of the hk or peachtree) yet without much of the usual fatigue I associate with that sort of presentation.

I suspect Arcam a18 / a28 might also be a good fit for smoothness & warmth.

Edit: It might also be that your speakers are bright and harsh and need the warmth of a smooth amp to sound natural (I half suspect this may be my problem, too, or all these 'neutral' amps really sound shi%)

k77stan

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
Hi Folks,

I've just unboxed my new NAD C326BEE, it is replacing my oldC350 which has stopped working.

Doed this amp need to run in? Just it sounds like the upper midrange and lower treble sound very forward compared to my old amp. The reviews for the C360BEE say it is bass heavy, but compared to my C350 it sounds a bit lacking to be honest. Maybe my ageing C350 was sounding a bit soft and wooly with age and I'm just used to that presentation now. I just hope this new amp isn't going to be so fatiguing.

I haven't even had an hours use out of the new amp yet, but I'm sick of hearing it I've just turned it off.

My old amp sounded very smooth and easy to listen to, yet still very dynamic and had enough detail to satisfy me. The new one has given me a headache in half an hour and a just found myself skipping through a playlist rather than wanting to sit and listen, it seems so "in yer face" if you know what I mean?

I have a Sony CDP-XB930 CD player, iPod touch with Arcam iR dock and B&W DM 601 S3 speakers. QED qunex silver spiral and qunex2 interconnects and silver anniversary biwire speaker cable.

I appreciate any advice thanks! I'm hoping after a few hours the sound will tame down a bit and become more natural.
i went to a shop the other day and listened to the c326 and found the sound similair to what MG is describing..have to say i was pretty taken aback as the bass was nothing to shout about and from all the info on the net i was expecting lets say not exesive bass,but enough to say the least..but it just wasnt there,which really surprised me and goes to show that demo is the best way to judge..powerwise no worries there as the volume didnt go above 10 a clock,but the sound wasnt engaging at all,the sales guy tried turning the bass knob a bit to give it a bit more oomphm and it did,but there shoudnt be any need for that,speakers were floorstanding acoustic solution i think..and the amp was probably played a good few times as it was e demo one..i'll be going today to check on a new c352,hope i won't be disapointed as with the c326..

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
rymidd said:
on my nad c326 i used the tone controls to up the bass , i know this amp has a reputation for being to bass heavy. i never found it to heavy on bass. but the bass is very fast and tight . when i first got mine i was not sure about it because it sounded a bit hollow out of the box. but with 20 to 30 hours there was more warmth to the sound. but it might be a system matching problem i had the quad 11L speakers which may be warmer sounding to the b&w 601 s3 which i also used to have.

Yep, I've been tweaking the tone controls something that shouldn't "have" to be done IMO. It's currently on treble at 10 o'clock a d bass at 2 o'clock. I've never felt the need to reduce the treble on an amp in my life. I don't know how they review kit these days, if this is a warm bass heavy amp I'd hate to hear a bright one.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
miggyboys said:
Hi MeanandGreen

Thanks

if you like your C350' be very careful with the thought of "upgrading". The C350 is a fantastic amp, I would never change from it if mine hadn't died.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
rymidd said:
also using silver coated cables wont help with brightness.

I've been thinking about that, I have some Gale XL-315 spearker cable from a very long time ago. I used it with my very old Pioneer A-110 amp and new at the time Tannoy Mercury M2.5 speakers.

After a while I changed to the QED silver anniversary, on the rather laid back setup I had then the QED significantly tightened the bass and brought out more top end clarity. So if my memory is right, then maybe a trial with the Gale cable could tone town this strident top end. I'll try that today.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
"NAD C326BEE does it need to burn/run in?"

No

The problem with buying another second hand C350 is that they are all getting on now and you could be back in the same boat. A good second hand one will cost you about £130-£150 so you might as well just get your old one serviced and brought back to life, it would then be as good as new then.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
k77stan said:
MeanandGreen said:
Hi Folks,

i went to a shop the other day and listened to the c326 and found the sound similair to what MG is describing..have to say i was pretty taken aback as the bass was nothing to shout about and from all the info on the net i was expecting lets say not exesive bass,but enough to say the least..but it just wasnt there,which really surprised me and goes to show that demo is the best way to judge..powerwise no worries there as the volume didnt go above 10 a clock,but the sound wasnt engaging at all,the sales guy tried turning the bass knob a bit to give it a bit more oomphm and it did,but there shoudnt be any need for that,speakers were floorstanding acoustic solution i think..and the amp was probably played a good few times as it was e demo one..i'll be going today to check on a new c352,hope i won't be disapointed as with the c326..

Demos in the dealers never sound right to me, gear always performs better at home and is the only way to tell how it's going to sound. It does make you wonder how products get the ratings they do at times. If all modern amps are forward and bright they should be described as such the C326 is certainly not bass heavy.

If at one given time say everyone produced poor sounding products, I'm sure one of them would get 5 stars due to being the best from a bad bunch. We live in a age where Hi-Fi mags review mobile phones, it kind of says it all really.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
eggontoast said:
"NAD C326BEE does it need to burn/run in?"

No

The problem with buying another second hand C350 is that they are all getting on now and you could be back in the same boat. A good second hand one will cost you about £130-£150 so you might as well just get your old one serviced and brought back to life, it would then be as good as new then.

Yeah that's why I decided to treat myself to a new NAD thinking that it would be at least acceptable to me. Getting mine fixed regardless of cost may happen yet.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
For my Marantz pm 6004: almost 35 h burn-in-time; I wanted buy Nad 326, reading reviews, but the mid freq. of Mara seemed more articulate and liquid and with a good phonostage; for the bass dpt : they were almost the same, but at low vol, while the Nads fade away, the PM 6004, instead, has the loudness possibility...For you, perhaps , the solution is a good sub, but I think that, anyway, Nad is like to have a check...or a Golf.

Btw, I owned 30 Ys ago some Nads: a 3020, 60 W pre and power separate and a 100 w integrated and they were all a little dry with my spk ( Advent, Kef, BW)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts