Nad - Arcam

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Looking at upgrading my nad c521bee and c352 to the arcam cd73 and diva A70 both of which are on offer at superfi for £300 and £350. Do you think this will be a worthwhile upgrade and what kind of sound will the arcams offer compared to the nads? They will be used with AE aelite 3 speakers.

A

Anonymous

That's a very good price - should take a little bass drone off for you - there won't be a huge improvement however.

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Hmm well seems like a lot of money for not such a big upgrade then. Would getting just the roksan kandy mk3 cd player and keeping the amp make a bigger difference (It probably would be second hand off ebay)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="robw17"]would be good but im only really looking at spending around £300 on amp / cd[/quote]

Understand robw17. I thought you are contemplating buying the arcams at 350 or so each which is not that much of an upgrade as mentioned previously. You could pick an 8vs up ex/dem for probably £650 or thereabout which would improve your existing system no end and probably keep you happy for years while you upgrade around it.

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Yes, but that will involve selling my amp and cd player so i'd be left with nothing. I do agree with you though that buying one very good amp or cd and then upgrading the rest later is probably the way to go. cheers

robw17

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Ahh cyrus 8vs £450 on ebay.. will have to consider that. what kind of sound do the cyrus amps give and do you think it would go well with the aelite 3s?

A

Anonymous

Cyrus are stereotypically bright, but quite nice however. However, I would not consider the Kandy CD player...it is noted to give alot of bass - which Isn't what you want is it with those speakers!

A

Anonymous

Personally? An ipod with a dock...but I guess (if you are saving up) the matching cd player or try the Arcam CD73T or something from Marantz? or your pc...

A

Anonymous

Yes it is the cd8x, but if you wanted a cheaper varient, try the CD 6s...but make sure you listen first; they are an aquired taste.

And an ipod with a decent dock (something like Arcam's model) is superb if you rip in lossless quality. I once heard a man at the Bristol Hi-Fi show say: "to tell whether it's a good hi-fi, get an ipod shuffle with some decent headphones and see if it's better...if it is, it's the Chord £100k system...if it isn't then it's anything else."

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="robw17"]Ahh cyrus 8vs £450 on ebay.. will have to consider that. what kind of sound do the cyrus amps give and do you think it would go well with the aelite 3s?[/quote]

Powerful, detailed and extremely coherent. In fact pretty much as this magazine describes it in their Ultimate Guide.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]Personally? An ipod with a dock...but I guess (if you are saving up) the matching cd player or try the Arcam CD73T or something from Marantz? or your pc...[/quote]

Spot on. Match it with something slightly "warmer" and you will get a good, neutral sound. I too upgraded from the C521BEE to the CD73t. There is quite a difference in quality of sound!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts