NAD 533 upgrade & other vinyl cravings

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Having recently dusted down my NAD 533 and fitted a new Goldring 2400 cartridge, I've really got back into the vinyl groove, as it were. So much so that I really want to buy a new deck. I love the sound from my reinvigorated turntable but all in all it doesn't surpass my CD playback combo of an Arcam 92 and Chord 64 DAC. I'm looking to spend a maximum of £1000 on a new deck & cartridge. Can anyone help me draw up a shortlist? I've read recent posts praising the Michell Tecnodeck(?) and the Project X-perience, so alongside these two, can anyone add a few further suggestions? Oh, and does anyone have a view on whether such an upgrade would take my vinyl playback into the same sonic league as my aforementioned CD set up?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Oooh, you lucky man - that much money on a turntable has the potential to blow away the CD performance of players costing several times as much.

The Michell Gyrodec SE (with SME IV arm) would be a superb option; also listen to the Pro-ject 2 Xperience (the X-pack version is great value - comes with Ortofon Rondo Red cartridge and a speed box).

But you also have to hear the awesome Roksan Radius 5 (perspex version with Nima Arm) - our current Award winner in the £750-£1500 price category. It beats the turntables above for sheer sonic ability - particularly the breathtaking detail it digs out.

You'll obviously also need to make sure your phono stage is up to scratch - what are you using?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
the tecnodeck is a fine turntable and you can upgrade it in the future.the project is of course not upgradable unless you fit a better cartridge but is not worth it imo.the funk is another deck you should consider as you have the option of the upgrade path.you could also use your goldring 2400.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Clare & Gregory for your input. I'm really looking forward to seeking out these turntables and then making a decision on which to purchase.

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
You'll obviously also need to make sure your phono stage is up to scratch - what are you using?

[/quote]

I'm using the Graham Slee Gram Amp 1, at present. Do you think that would suffice with the aforementioned decks? Or would an upgrade there maximize performance?

[quote user="Clare Newsome"] (the X-pack version is great value - comes with Ortofon Rondo Red cartridge and a speed box).[/quote]

Is the Ortofon Rondo Red a far superior cartridge to my Goldring 2400?

Questions, questions. . . and on a final musical note, I've just unearthed the latest random pleasures from my vinyl "loft" collection. Bill Monroe's Greatest Hits - incredible banjo-tastic playing, if somewhat cat-alarming vocals and Big Audio Dynamite's bouncy debut. Reminds me of Jesus Jones - but in a good way.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd say a phono stage upgrade may be in order - the one you've got is superb, but a higher-end deck would probably benefit from something even better. Why not take your Graham Slee with you when you audition the new decks and compare it to some upgrade options - starting with Slee's Gram Amp 2 (£150) and going up to the awesome Trichord Dino (£329).

Re cartridges - haven't heard the two together, so can't compare, i'm afraid. Again, try and hear a few variations when you audition - system-matching plays a huge part.

Oh, and finally - don't forget to take some of your favourite vinyl along with you (banjos and all!)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Clare. I think I'll take your advice about the phono amp and take mine with me when I audition.

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Oh, and finally - don't forget to take some of your favourite vinyl along with you (banjos and all!)[/quote]

Next quandary: what vinyl to take? Should be fun deciding.Cheers.

nads

i am running a Pro-ject 2 Xperience and it is great but i do feel that i do need to change the phono amp. One comment i have to mention is that iirc the current Nad deck is made by Project and the looks of the 533 makes me think the same. i had a look at the Michell Tecnodeck over Xmas while i was back in the UK very nice but i could not justify the expense over the Pro-ject 2 Xperience as i only have about 300 Lp's (but still growing). Also the Cartridge swung it, (£300). have fun looking and listening.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"]Also the Cartridge swung it, (£300).[/quote]

I've read that it's a low-output mc cartridge and at present I'm using a Gram Amp 1 as my phono stage. Are they compatible? I'm sure I read that the Gram Amp 1 only "works" with a moving magnet (like my current Goldring 2400) or a high output mc cartridge. Can anyone clarify the situation here? My audition list is the Project Xperience, the Michell Gyro and the Roksan Radius. No doubt I will upgrade my phono stage at some point but perhaps not immediately. So I need to know can the turntables on my list be up and running with the Gram Amp 1?

Oh, and also, I was chatting to a friend today and he asked why don't I spend less than my £1,000 budget and get something second hand but perhaps superior. Notwithstanding the usual caveats about used hi-fi, what decks are worth looking out for? He was semi-evangelical about his Linn Sondek, but pointed me to some second-hand Linn Axis decks too. I know how legendary the former turntable is but don't know much about either or how they compare with my above short list. Anyone with insight care to share their thoughts?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
nads:
Also the Cartridge swung it, (£300).

I've read that it's a low-output mc cartridge and at present I'm using a Gram Amp 1 as my phono stage. Are they compatible? I'm sure I read that the Gram Amp 1 only "works" with a moving magnet (like my current Goldring 2400) or a high output mc cartridge. Can anyone clarify the situation here? My audition list is the Project Xperience, the Michell Gyro and the Roksan Radius. No doubt I will upgrade my phono stage at some point but perhaps not immediately. So I need to know can the turntables on my list be up and running with the Gram Amp 1?

Oh, and also, I was chatting to a friend today and he asked why don't I spend less than my £1,000 budget and get something second hand but perhaps superior. Notwithstanding the usual caveats about used hi-fi, what decks are worth looking out for? He was semi-evangelical about his Linn Sondek, but pointed me to some second-hand Linn Axis decks too. I know how legendary the former turntable is but don't know much about either or how they compare with my above short list. Anyone with insight care to share their thoughts?

Thanks.

nads

Well i am running it a NAD PP2 switched to the MC setting and it is fine. (i actually had it on the MM setting for a while and it worked but was not as loud as it should have been, I have no idea whay it was at that setting!) I do feel that i do need to upgrade the phono stage.

T

the record spot

Over and above the above, check out audio Note's TT1 turntable; this picked up Systemdek development and moved it on apace. The Roksan and Funk Firm V have impesscable styling, whilst Rega's P3-24 and their recent replacement for the P25 (can't recall the number) could also be worth checking out. Lucky man!

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Oooh, you lucky man - that much money on a turntable has the potential to blow away the CD performance of players costing several times as much.
The Michell Gyrodec SE (with SME IV arm) would be a superb option; also listen to the Pro-ject 2 Xperience (the X-pack version is great value - comes with Ortofon Rondo Red cartridge and a speed box).

But you also have to hear the awesome Roksan Radius 5 (perspex version with Nima Arm) - our current Award winner in the £750-£1500 price category. It beats the turntables above for sheer sonic ability - particularly the breathtaking detail it digs out.

I have the Project and can say it never fails to impress

Kel.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Just wondered if anyone knew much about the Ortofon 510 Mk 2 cartridge and how it compares to the Goldring 2400?

Anyone got an opinion on the Pro-ject 2 Xperience with Rondo Red cartridge versus the Roksan Radius with the Ortofon 510 Mk 2? Is the Roksan way out in front between these two decks?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"] Is the Roksan way out in front between these two decks?[/quote]

I don't know about 'way ahead', but it's certainly the superior option, and well worth its premium.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts