Nad 355BEE vs 352

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The NAD C352 was and still is a superb amp but the C355BEE, to me, has just got the edge (but I'm sure someone will disagree...
emotion-4.gif
)

The C355BEE just cuts that bit deeper and it's a bit more tauter with the bass; also a bit more detailed in the midrange as well as excellent timings... The treble is the same though IMO

The C352 is always going to do well though and I'd whole heartedly recommend buying one if you can find it but with RS doing the NAD C355BEE in Silver at £299; you might as well get one!!!

A

Anonymous

Dan my cynical side is kicking in....are you sure it's not just the blue lights?
emotion-2.gif

d_a_n1979:The NAD C352 was and still is a superb amp but the C355BEE, to me, has just got the edge (but I'm sure someone will disagree...
emotion-4.gif
) The C355BEE just cuts that bit deeper and it's a bit more tauter with the bass; also a bit more detailed in the midrange as well as excellent timings... The treble is the same though IMO The C352 is always going to do well though and I'd whole heartedly recommend buying one if you can find it but with RS doing the NAD C355BEE in Silver at £299; you might as well get one!!!

Mmm, that's interesting. When I heard the 352 it sounded really good, but I found it a little bass-heavy. So I chose the A65 only because it had slightly better sonic balance...a tad more refined.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hi fi newbie:Dan my cynical side is kicking in....are you sure it's not just the blue lights?
emotion-2.gif

Nope; there are slight difference...
emotion-5.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
d_a_n1979:The NAD C352 was and still is a superb amp but the C355BEE, to me, has just got the edge (but I'm sure someone will disagree...
emotion-4.gif
) The C355BEE just cuts that bit deeper and it's a bit more tauter with the bass; also a bit more detailed in the midrange as well as excellent timings... The treble is the same though IMO The C352 is always going to do well though and I'd whole heartedly recommend buying one if you can find it but with RS doing the NAD C355BEE in Silver at £299; you might as well get one!!!

Mmm, that's interesting. When I heard the 352 it sounded really good, but I found it a little bass-heavy. So I chose the A65 only because it had slightly better sonic balance...a tad more refined.

I think its all down to personal tastes in the end PP; in all honesty I found the DiVA amps (apart from the A85) to be bass shy and in the case of the A70 and A90; gutless!

The A65 is a terrifically good amp for the money, although it has a slightly lean bottom end, not as punchy as some. I was hoping the new 355 would have a slightly more refined lower frequency.

The Creek has a brilliantly fast, detailed bass and should be a permanent fixture in my cabinet. Unbeknown to me beforehand, the Creek's pesky lack of inputs really put the brakes on any purchase.
emotion-12.gif

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
yes it seems "cheap" solution, but a mixer was the best thing I got to use with my fathers old Akai amp and speakers.

A

Anonymous

Having read the ongoing saga with your amp PP, I am confused you are commenting upon the strengths of the creek, describing it as brilliant, stating it should be a fixture and yet you also mentioned the amp was muddled in the midrange. A muddled midrange is surely a killer when it comes to your decision, so why are you still hankering? lol

hi fi newbie:Having read the ongoing saga with your amp PP, I am confused you are commenting upon the strengths of the creek, describing it as brilliant, stating it should be a fixture and yet you also mentioned the amp was muddled in the midrange. A muddled midrange is surely a killer when it comes to your decision, so why are you still hankering? lol

If you read my earlier post and the thread summerizing the Creek, I did say that it was slightly muddled in the midrange due to it being brand spanking new. When I picked it up it still had UPS cover note pinned to the side. Now, when I removed the amp from the box I noticed then that it probably wouldn't have enough inputs. After reading the instruction manual, it really confirmed my disappointment.

Rather than waste a loaned amp I used it for about 4 1/2 hours in total, playing CDs and listening to the tuner, and taken by the overall sound quality, and knowing the inputs weren't sufficient....such is life.

The new Creek Evo is certainly one of the best sub-£1,000 amps I heard. It's similar to the Roksan Kandy LIII minus the over exuberance.

A

Anonymous

Ah I see, didn't Gerrard mention purchasing a dac to resolve that problem? if you are that impressed with it, seems worth doing

He did, indeed. If it were as simple as buying an amp I like it wouldn't be a problem, but I have to appease "Her Ladyship". She doesn't object to purchasing a new amp or other component, what she is adament about is extra boxes.

The Creek requires an external phono stage and a DAC to connect either the DVD or VHS player, and to make it worthwhile (or to justify the Evo's quality) you would need to spend at least £200, and the OH reasoned why spend £800 when I have a perfectly good amp. A females logic is a little different to ours....

A

Anonymous

I bought my C352 shortly after the 355 was launched. A shop in Glasgow had both and the difference in sound was minimal imo. In a blind test I would suggest it would be tricky to tell them apart. The 352 was £150 quid cheaper so it was a no brainer. I would say that i think the 352 is the best amp i have heard up to about £ 500 and I am a tad surprised anyone would like an Arcam amp better. imo there is no comparison. If you already have a 352 there is no reason to upgrade to a 355 other than a severe case of upgrade-itis or unless your 352 is kaput.

Fraz1:
I bought my C352 shortly after the 355 was launched. A shop in Glasgow had both and the difference in sound was minimal imo. In a blind test I would suggest it would be tricky to tell them apart. The 352 was £150 quid cheaper so it was a no brainer. I would say that i think the 352 is the best amp i have heard up to about £ 500 and I am a tad surprised anyone would like an Arcam amp better. imo there is no comparison. If you already have a 352 there is no reason to upgrade to a 355 other than a severe case of upgrade-itis or unless your 352 is kaput.

It is all about personal taste. I found the 352 too bass-heavy, and the Arcam much smoother in the midrange. I don't dislike Nad, it's just I prefer (incl room acoustics) a leaner sound than the Nad. That's why I raved about the Creek, the fast, detailed bass was a revelation compared to the Nad - and Arcam, I must say - and the whole point of the thread was to discover whether Nad had remedied the slightly over-powering bass or not.

Clearly the answer is 'no'.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Fraz1:

Fully agree with that comment; upgrading to the C355BEE from a ghood working C352 wouldnt be worth it at all

I think you'd have to look at the likes of the Arcam A38 or the Roksan Kandy K2 or the Cyrus 8XP amps to move up from the NAD IMO

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jimdonnelly:Is there much difference between the 355 and the 326?

Yes... Quite substantially IMO

The C326BEE is a damned fine amp IMO having demo'd it a few weeks back with a number of speakers and the C545BEE CDP.

But... The C355BEE has more power and you can tell; it drives speakers better with a better, overall wider soundstage and with more punchier, tauter bass. The midrange is very good indeed with more agility and depth to it over the C326BEE and the treble, IMO, is on a par (both are very good indeed).

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:jimdonnelly:Is there much difference between the 355 and the 326? Yes... Quite substantially IMO The C326BEE is a damned fine amp IMO having demo'd it a few weeks back with a number of speakers and the C545BEE CDP. But... The C355BEE has more power and you can tell; it drives speakers better with a better, overall wider soundstage and with more punchier, tauter bass. The midrange is very good indeed with more agility and depth to it over the C326BEE and the treble, IMO, is on a par (both are very good indeed).

Thanks, given the relatively small difference in price (in some stores) it seems a no brainer then.

The problem I've had is I haven't heard any of the latest budget amps, they've all been the next price bracket up. Many I tested at home and given a real test over a 3 or 4 day period. Yet, with exception of the Kandy and Cyrus 8, there is no amp that seriously outguns the Arcam.

I got really excited about the Leema/Arcam/RS6 combo and the Naim XS/Cyrus 6SE/Spendor combo. The former made me feel like toddler in a sweet shop, and the latter was immensely impressive. Whether they would have the same affect with a home demo or not is different story (two differnt retailers, so no chance of a side-by-side comparison). To be frank, the Leema and Naim is a little more than I would like to spend at the moment.

I know it is personal taste, but given difference between my Arcam and most sub-£1,000 amps isn't 'night and day', I cannot, for one moment, believe that a modern budget amp is any better than my Arcam.

Just my closing thoughts.

Yours, Frank...
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts