Nad 350c

Strummer

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
I’ve just bought a used Nad 350c and trying to play through my turntable I get a very low volume .
If I play through a tuner or CD deck I get decent volume but the volume won’t adjust either lower or higher. Using the control or the remote . I’ve connected it to main .
Anyone have any idea what problem may be . I read a pre
Amp maybe needed but I have no clue about these things .

Welcome to the Forum.

A turntable cartridge outputs a tiny voltage - a few millivolts - whereas a CD player will output 1 to 2 volts, sometimes more. Therefore you need an extra amplification stage. These are sometimes built into the amplifier, but not in your case. So you buy something like this - see link - and plug it into the Disc or another line input NOT into Main, which will have no volume control! Main is intended for a separate, full preamplifier, not just a phono/turntable preamp - the latter has no volume control.

I hope that helps.

I get decent volume but the volume won’t adjust either lower or higher.
That sounds like a fault. Might need contact cleaner (though it sounds more serious than that). Does the amp have a switch on the back that allows it to run as a power amp only? If so, turn that back to the other setting. This might be clutching at straws though - it'd be on full blast if this were the case, and probably only working from one input (usually marked 'power in' or somesuch).

Strummer

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum.

A turntable cartridge outputs a tiny voltage - a few millivolts - whereas a CD player will output 1 to 2 volts, sometimes more. Therefore you need an extra amplification stage. These are sometimes built into the amplifier, but not in your case. So you buy something like this - see link - and plug it into the Disc or another line input NOT into Main, which will have no volume control! Main is intended for a separate, full preamplifier, not just a phono/turntable preamp - the latter has no volume control.

I hope that helps.

Hello again
You seem very knowledgeable so which of these two amps would you say is the better one .. The NAD 350 or Marantz PM-66SE ?
Thanks for your help

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I’ve just bought a used Nad 350c and trying to play through my turntable I get a very low volume .
If I play through a tuner or CD deck I get decent volume but the volume won’t adjust either lower or higher. Using the control or the remote . I’ve connected it to main .
Anyone have any idea what problem may be . I read a pre
Amp maybe needed but I have no clue about these things .

You should have two little 'jumper links' connecting the PRE OUT and MAIN IN on the rear of the amplifier. Once they are connected just attach you CD player to the CD input and the volume and tone controls will then all work fine.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano
Hello again
You seem very knowledgeable so which of these two amps would you say is the better one .. The NAD 350 or Marantz PM-66SE ?
Thanks for your help
I can only reveal my bias towards Marantz by saying I’d prefer the PM-66SE, as I’ve owned several of their amps and CD players over the years and invariably like their sound and features. I’m pretty sure the 66 has a phono input too, which is what need, and the NAD lacks. NAD made some great kit, however, often at very reasonable prices.

Just to be clear though, both are far from current, and I’ve not auditioned them.

Reactions: Al ears

Strummer

Feb 8, 2022
Visit site
You should have two little 'jumper links' connecting the PRE OUT and MAIN IN on the rear of the amplifier. Once they are connected just attach you CD player to the CD input and the volume and tone controls will then all work fine.

hi
Yes thx for that . That does indeed work but I’m not really interested so much in the CD player is the turntable I want to use it for and someone suggests you need a pre amp for this. Maybe certain type of turntable I don’t know . I have a Technics SL-DD33

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts